What's new in the last 10 years?

Gdes1

Mouseketeer
Hello! I realize this is a HUGE question, but for those of you who have cruised often in the last 10 years, maybe you have something to add. Long story short, we have been on the Magic and Wonder, including the 14-night Panama Canal itinerary, but it was all years ago. Covid made a long break longer! Now booked for Jan 2025 on the Fantasy for the 5-night visiting CC and Lookout Cay. Kids are 13 and 15 so I'm aware that: 1) They won't be in the same club, and, 2) They can sign themselves out. Anything else I'd want to know about the teen clubs or activities?

I also know we can decorate our door with anything magnetic. If there is an FE exchange offered on our sailing, I'm not sure we'd do it. We did for Panama and that was fun, just not sure I want to deal with it all on a 5-night.

We asked for late dinner seating, so do they still do two showtimes such that one group eats while the other watches the show, then they swap?

Would that short of a sailing have a Pirate Night? I have looked and looked and can't find that info anywhere.

And for the dinner rotation, 5 nights would mean we'd eat at each place once, and then two of them twice, and one of them we'd only eat at once. My daughter is enamored with the idea of AP and we are hoping to get that one twice.

Do they still give out the Navigator on paper, or is everything on an app now? And what about the "wave phones" (I think that's what they were called.) My guess is that's old tech and people use the ship wi-fi to somehow send messages to other family who are on board?

Any other tips or info are appreciated, and I'm also reading through as many threads as I can.

Thanks!

Hello! I realize this is a HUGE question, but for those of you who have cruised often in the last 10 years, maybe you have something to add. Long story short, we have been on the Magic and Wonder, including the 14-night Panama Canal itinerary, but it was all years ago. Covid made a long break longer! Now booked for Jan 2025 on the Fantasy for the 5-night visiting CC and Lookout Cay. Kids are 13 and 15 so I'm aware that: 1) They won't be in the same club, and, 2) They can sign themselves out. Anything else I'd want to know about the teen clubs or activities?

I also know we can decorate our door with anything magnetic. If there is an FE exchange offered on our sailing, I'm not sure we'd do it. We did for Panama and that was fun, just not sure I want to deal with it all on a 5-night.

We asked for late dinner seating, so do they still do two showtimes such that one group eats while the other watches the show, then they swap?

Would that short of a sailing have a Pirate Night? I have looked and looked and can't find that info anywhere.

And for the dinner rotation, 5 nights would mean we'd eat at each place once, and then two of them twice, and one of them we'd only eat at once. My daughter is enamored with the idea of AP and we are hoping to get that one twice.

Do they still give out the Navigator on paper, or is everything on an app now? And what about the "wave phones" (I think that's what they were called.) My guess is that's old tech and people use the ship wi-fi to somehow send messages to other family who are on board?

Any other tips or info are appreciated, and I'm also reading through as many threads as I can.

Thanks!
Yes, there are still two showtimes.

I'd suggest you put a request on your reservation to dine in AP twice. Often that works.

There's a basic, one sheet, activities page now. Everything else is on the Navigator app. No more wave phones.

Note that you have to request the one-sheet paper Navigator, I don't believe they're given out automatically anymore.

Download the DCL Navigator app if you haven't already, it's essential for onboard but it functions at home too for things like booking activities. Onboard you'll use it for things like seeing your dining rotation (this isn't on your KTTW card anymore), looking at activities, and communicating with family. They also changed the Wifi somewhat recently so now you can buy full day or length of cruise unlimited plans rather than paying per MB, if this is something you care about.

You should have a Pirate Night. I'm pretty sure they cram a Pirate Night onto even the 3 night Wish cruises lol.

The Fantasy has some extra things that the Magic and Wonder don't -- the Midship Detective Agency game, mini golf, a sports simulator room, an extra adults-only Restaurant (Remy), and a much nicer Rainforest Room that has hot tubs in it and an ocean view. Mentioning this in case it impacts how you want to budget your time.

I have not sailed with a teen myself but I've read many times on this board that the first night in the kids club they do icebreakers where a lot of the kids make their friendships for the cruise, so it's highly recommended you make a point of having your kids attend that first night.

Note that you have to request the one-sheet paper Navigator, I don't believe they're given out automatically anymore.

Download the DCL Navigator app if you haven't already, it's essential for onboard but it functions at home too for things like booking activities. Onboard you'll use it for things like seeing your dining rotation (this isn't on your KTTW card anymore), looking at activities, and communicating with family. They also changed the Wifi somewhat recently so now you can buy full day or length of cruise unlimited plans rather than paying per MB, if this is something you care about.

You should have a Pirate Night. I'm pretty sure they cram a Pirate Night onto even the 3 night Wish cruises lol.

The Fantasy has some extra things that the Magic and Wonder don't -- the Midship Detective Agency game, mini golf, a sports simulator room, an extra adults-only Restaurant (Remy), and a much nicer Rainforest Room that has hot tubs in it and an ocean view. Mentioning this in case it impacts how you want to budget your time.

I have not sailed with a teen myself but I've read many times on this board that the first night in the kids club they do icebreakers where a lot of the kids make their friendships for the cruise, so it's highly recommended you make a point of having your kids attend that first night.
Thank you so much! That is all very helpful. So, when I say "WiFi" I guess it's two different things? We are NOT interested in communicating with the outside world or in having our kids using internet access for entertainment. Cruises are the only time work has to leave my husband alone, and we want the kids to do other things. So we won't be paying for WiFi. But I guess what you're saying is the app uses the ship's WiFi to let us access information that would have been in the paper Navigator, and it has a feature that let's family members communicate for free? (Kind of like the free WiFi on planes let's people watch movies, but nothing else?) I'll definitely download it and learn how to use it. And thank you for the teen club icebreaker tip. They could really benefit from that!

But I guess what you're saying is the app uses the ship's WiFi to let us access information that would have been in the paper Navigator, and it has a feature that let's family members communicate for free? (Kind of like the free WiFi on planes let's people watch movies, but nothing else?)
Exactly like that. You connect to the ship's WiFi and then the App will have a way for all the members of your group to message from within it, as well as to look at the schedule and mark favorite activities, look at the dining room menus, hours for the shops, stuff like that. At home it won't have all that detail but will have all your planned activities (anything you've booked in advance like alcohol tastings, adult dinners, spa treatments, etc). Not sure if your teens are still into characters but there is a free Princess meet and greet called the Royal Gathering that opens up for booking closer to the cruise that you might want to snag reservations for, if nothing else.

One other note about the app -- at home you'll be able to see everything booked for your whole party. But once you're on the ship, certain things will only show up in one person's app, which is annoying if you're the person who keeps everyone on schedule. If you don't book a lot of stuff ahead of time this might not matter, but if, for instance, you and your husband have separate spa treatments booked, only yours will show up in your app once you're on board (and only his will show up in his). If this is relevant to you, I recommend printing out a full schedule of what everyone has booked while you're at home.

WiFi for the app - you will be putting your phone in airplane mode to avoid roaming charges. And then you pick the ship’s WiFi.

In the app, you can look at dinner menus, yet we have still been given the printed versions in their hard covers each night.

We use iMessage on Apple phones to communicate among our party on the ship - and to those unfortunate to be left at home. In airplane mode, there is no charge. I have heard others mention using WhatsApp.

Navigators

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/wp...rs-Fantasy-5N-Day-4-Castaway-Cay-20230711.pdf

Layout is like this (taken from the above link). This was Castaway Cay day with Pirate Night.

IMG_7440.png

IMG_7441.png

Pirates: I have not heard of a Bahamian or Caribbean cruise that didn’t have Pirate Night. Three-night cruises don’t have the menu at dinner, but still have the party. (Norwegian Fjords, Alaska, and possibly other itineraries do not have Pirates).

There is still a deck party with music and fireworks. No more Pirates buffet. One of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies starts after party in FunnelVision.

Guests still dress in pirate garb, from simple t-shirts to full-on outfits. Optional and not obligatory. The pirate bandana has returned.

You can find dinner menus at the same website listed for the Navigators, above.

The Walt Disney production shows are Aladdin, Frozen, Believe.

Fantasy has a Buena Vista Theater a little bigger than Magic/Wonder’s. Whatever Disney movie is released in the fall - Sailing should be the current showings.

You get a hamster-tube type water ride, Aquaduck

IMG_7443.jpeg

There are two adults-only for-fee specialty dining options: Palo (same as M/W) and Remy, a more-upscale French offering. Both have brunch and dinner.

Cabanas (the answer to Beach Blanket Buffet) is breakfast and lunch buffets only.

Soda and soft-serve are still available on pool deck - located on both sides of ship.

The Adults area is larger. Sometimes used for family activities during the day.

They still have Match Your Mate and other sessions for adults at night. Silent Discos for families and adults. Bingo is still happening. Trivia. Arts & Crafts. A variety of lounges. An extra-charge ice cream and candy shop.

The part that always shocks me is the location of the Aft elevators. Instead of opening into the lobby outside the buffet on the pool deck, they deliver you somewhat behind Cabanas buffet - then you walk through the buffet to the pool area.

Royal Court is located off the atrium, same menu as Triton’s/ Lumiere’s.

Enchanted Garden is Down on Deck 2 - just below Atrium. Animator’s Palate is aft Deck 3 with a different decor and show than M/W.

…Not a lot of change to Castaway Cay. Island 5K is now DIY and collect your medal. Lunch is pretty much same menu with soft serve and sodas available for a two-hour menu. The adults have their own lunch spot at Serenity Bay.

No more jet skis.

I don't think I've seen it mention but I may have missed it. There is no more buffet portion at Palo Brunch.

Also, you now get your Boarding Group number when you do the online check in. That is not given at the port anymore. You also need to upload head shots and pics of your passport (or BC and ID) when you do the online check in.

KTTW cards are waiting at your room door. You don't get them when you check in at the port.

I forget exactly when this changed but unlimited alcohol is not allowed to be brought on board anymore. Only beer and wine in limited qualities.

I'd suggest you put a request on your reservation to dine in AP twice. Often that works.
Will there be a prompt to do this, maybe once we make the final payment? Or is it one of those things one has to know to ask, and know where/how to ask?

Exactly like that. You connect to the ship's WiFi and then the App will have a way for all the members of your group to message from within it, as well as to look at the schedule and mark favorite activities, look at the dining room menus, hours for the shops, stuff like that. At home it won't have all that detail but will have all your planned activities (anything you've booked in advance like alcohol tastings, adult dinners, spa treatments, etc). Not sure if your teens are still into characters but there is a free Princess meet and greet called the Royal Gathering that opens up for booking closer to the cruise that you might want to snag reservations for, if nothing else.

One other note about the app -- at home you'll be able to see everything booked for your whole party. But once you're on the ship, certain things will only show up in one person's app, which is annoying if you're the person who keeps everyone on schedule. If you don't book a lot of stuff ahead of time this might not matter, but if, for instance, you and your husband have separate spa treatments booked, only yours will show up in your app once you're on board (and only his will show up in his). If this is relevant to you, I recommend printing out a full schedule of what everyone has booked while you're at home.
All good to know, thanks! I am the "planner" and basically have to act as the brain for all four of us. I'll definitely print some stuff out and come up with a way to manage things once onboard.

WiFi for the app - you will be putting your phone in airplane mode to avoid roaming charges. And then you pick the ship’s WiFi.

In the app, you can look at dinner menus, yet we have still been given the printed versions in their hard covers each night.

We use iMessage on Apple phones to communicate among our party on the ship - and to those unfortunate to be left at home. In airplane mode, there is no charge. I have heard others mention using WhatsApp.

Navigators

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/wp...rs-Fantasy-5N-Day-4-Castaway-Cay-20230711.pdf

Layout is like this (taken from the above link). This was Castaway Cay day with Pirate Night.

View attachment 855800

View attachment 855801

Pirates: I have not heard of a Bahamian or Caribbean cruise that didn’t have Pirate Night. Three-night cruises don’t have the menu at dinner, but still have the party. (Norwegian Fjords, Alaska, and possibly other itineraries do not have Pirates).

There is still a deck party with music and fireworks. No more Pirates buffet. One of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies starts after party in FunnelVision.

Guests still dress in pirate garb, from simple t-shirts to full-on outfits. Optional and not obligatory. The pirate bandana has returned.
Thank you! This is very nice to be able to look at. Random question...Cabanas is always buffet, I know, but does Royal Court offer a table service breakfast? I think there was a set-up like that on the other ships.

Will there be a prompt to do this, maybe once we make the final payment? Or is it one of those things one has to know to ask, and know where/how to ask?
If you go to the Disney Cruise Line website and down the bottom, you'll see "contact us". You can then put in your request (with your reservation number) and someone will reply. I just did this recently to reqeust specific servers that were recommended and got a reply the next day that the note was made on my reservation.

Thank you! This is very nice to be able to look at. Random question...Cabanas is always buffet, I know, but does Royal Court offer a table service breakfast? I think there was a set-up like that on the other ships.
Yes, Royal Court has a table service breakfast and lunch most days. Lunch menu changes daily, breakfast menu is the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter