what's something that you would get in your grocery shopping growing up that you wouldn't today?

Frozen dinners.
16 oz bottled soft drinks with a bottle deposit.
Margarine (I can afford butter).

And the big one:

Price tags. Some supermarkets used to have labels, but I remember one store where they had the price directly imprinted with ink. I had a relative that operated a restaurant and often they just bought stuff from a supermarket since the price was good (especially if on sale) compared to a restaurant supply store. But some items for resale might have that inked price on it, and they'd just use rubbing alcohol to remove it.

Diet soft drinks sweetened with Cyclamate.

@tjmw2727 @unrequited23
Sales of canned fruit and vegetables soared during the pandemic and remain up as people rediscovered (or discovered) the convenience of canned food..

trading stamps!

my mom got stuff i NEVER buy-vienna sausages, sardines, canned brown bread, creamed corn. do not care for them.

But some items for resale might have that inked price on it, and they'd just use rubbing alcohol to remove it.

hairspray works as well.

Cube steak. My mom would make this and cook it very well done with no seasonings or gravy and I literally could not swallow it. I absolutely hated it. I would chew it and spit it out in globs around my plate. I’m 61 now and have been married for 42 years and I have never eaten it or bought it to make for dinner.

trading stamps!

my mom got stuff i NEVER buy-vienna sausages, sardines, canned brown bread, creamed corn. do not care for them.

hairspray works as well.

Would probably leave a residue though. Or a smell.

Frozen dinners.
16 oz bottled soft drinks with a bottle deposit.
Margarine (I can afford butter).

And the big one:

Price tags. Some supermarkets used to have labels, but I remember one store where they had the price directly imprinted with ink. I had a relative that operated a restaurant and often they just bought stuff from a supermarket since the price was good (especially if on sale) compared to a restaurant supply store. But some items for resale might have that inked price on it, and they'd just use rubbing alcohol to remove it.
The first thing I did to make money was working for our next-door neighbor. I cut his grass and washed his car. He paid me and also let me take back all of his 16 and 32 oz glass bottles and keep the deposit. I think the 16 oz bottles were a nickel and the 32 oz bottles were a dime.

Yes, I'm very, very old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter