• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what's something that you would get in your grocery shopping growing up that you wouldn't today?

Cube steak. My mom would make this and cook it very well done with no seasonings or gravy and I literally could not swallow it. I absolutely hated it. I would chew it and spit it out in globs around my plate. I’m 61 now and have been married for 42 years and I have never eaten it or bought it to make for dinner.
My wife makes an amazing cube steak.

Frozen dinners

frozen meals are SO MUCH BETTER than they were when i was a kid-all i can remember from back then was banquet and hungry man neither of which i was/am a fan of. with the advent of places like marie calendars and boston market making frozen entrees of decent quality we keep some on hand.

planter's cheese balls
better cheddars (cheezits are so much better!)
red delicious apples (so many better varieties)
toaster strudels

frozen meals are SO MUCH BETTER than they were when i was a kid-all i can remember from back then was banquet and hungry man neither of which i was/am a fan of. with the advent of places like marie calendars and boston market making frozen entrees of decent quality we keep some on hand.

I might occasionally try something frozen like lasagna, but that was a staple when I was a kid and my parents didn't have enough time to cook. Especially Swanson dinners in an aluminum tray.

I think these days a lot of that has been replaced by prepared meal delivery where there still might be cooking, but a lot less prep and need for the consumer to buy large quantities of ingredients.

I might occasionally try something frozen like lasagna, but that was a staple when I was a kid and my parents didn't have enough time to cook. Especially Swanson dinners in an aluminum tray.

I think these days a lot of that has been replaced by prepared meal delivery where there still might be cooking, but a lot less prep and need for the consumer to buy large quantities of ingredients.
Yeah we did HelloFresh for about 5 months. We enjoyed but eventually everything started to taste the same.

Crisco although bacon grease saved up in a can worked well.
Bologna
Homemade polish sausage from the store on the corner
Fried chicken tv dinner
Spaghettios

we live such that prepared meal delivery options are not available (we cannot get so much as a pizza delivery) so the frozen stuff i speak of is entirely purchased at brick and mortar stores.

went to walmart today-got their brand of pablano pepper enchiladas (very good). my freezer is pretty full with other stuff but regularly get-

marie calendar and boston market pot pies
multiple trader joe items (indian, fish, korean, cuban...)
a handful of safeway select (indian is not bad)

oddball items of the 'low cal/diet' arena (lean cuisine and such).

we live such that prepared meal delivery options are not available (we cannot get so much as a pizza delivery) so the frozen stuff i speak of is entirely purchased at brick and mortar stores.

went to walmart today-got their brand of pablano pepper enchiladas (very good). my freezer is pretty full with other stuff but regularly get-

marie calendar and boston market pot pies
multiple trader joe items (indian, fish, korean, cuban...)
a handful of safeway select (indian is not bad)

oddball items of the 'low cal/diet' arena (lean cuisine and such).

I suppose some stores have prepared meals that can be cooked at home. Even if one is not within a delivery area, I suppose most people still have to go out to shop for groceries even if it's a long distance.

6-SFM-RTC_1537395233.jpg

I suppose some stores have prepared meals that can be cooked at home. Even if one is not within a delivery area, I suppose most people still have to go out to shop for groceries even if it's a long distance.

6-SFM-RTC_1537395233.jpg

with the exception of a couple of ready to cook items from costco i pass on those at the other grocery stores b/c i start looking at the contents and mentally costing out the individual items to figure out i can get the same stuff for much less. i can't justify paying the per pound price for something like salmon when the bulk of the food package being charged at that rate is weighed down with lemons, a couple of squash and some low cost carb.

with the exception of a couple of ready to cook items from costco i pass on those at the other grocery stores b/c i start looking at the contents and mentally costing out the individual items to figure out i can get the same stuff for much less. i can't justify paying the per pound price for something like salmon when the bulk of the food package being charged at that rate is weighed down with lemons, a couple of squash and some low cost carb.

They're obviously selling convenience over price. And I look at what they have, and it's still cheaper than going out to a restaurant for something similar.

My wife really likes the prepared drumsticks at Costco, which might be something like $3.50 a lb. But I can buy drumsticks for considerably less and then season them myself. But that's easy since all I need is powdered garlic and oil, then cook them in an air fryer.

They're obviously selling convenience over price. And I look at what they have, and it's still cheaper than going out to a restaurant for something similar.

My wife really likes the prepared drumsticks at Costco, which might be something like $3.50 a lb. But I can buy drumsticks for considerably less and then season them myself. But that's easy since all I need is powdered garlic and oil, then cook them in an air fryer.
The lasagna bake from Costco is awesome, and big enough such that we can some lunches out of it.

TV dinners. Old style in the aluminum tray and you would bake in the oven. It was such a treat to pick out the one I wanted. This was also back in the day when there was maybe 10 total options for meals and I think only one brand, maybe Swansons.

“CheezDoodles” (said while hanging head in shame) and truth be known nobody should ever bring them into the house because I’ll still devour them. Shamelessly.

Suzy-Q's remember those? Haven't seen them in years. My brother and I loved those things. Don't think I could touch them today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter