Votes: 35 31.0%
  • In a while, crocodile

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other, but you're definitely wrong

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

RedAngie

Sea Level Lady
There was a rare sighting of an alligator and a crocodile near each other on Sanibel Island in Florida the other day. Gator on left, croc on right according to the source.

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/ne...-itself-known-florida-golf-course/3142887002/

c4dfbdd1-b105-4656-bb25-5001430ded10-Croc5.jpg

When they parted ways at the end of the day, the croc said "See ya later, alligator." How did the gator respond?

I know I’m wrong. I looked up the lyrics. For some reason I thought it was “wait a while crocodile”.

The lyric to the song is "See you later alligator, after 'while crocodile "

Lyrics
Well, I saw my baby walkin' with another man today
Well, I saw my baby walkin' with another man today
When I asked her what's the matter
This is what I heard her say
See you later alligator, after 'while crocodile
Can't you see you're in my way now
Don't you know you cramp my style
When I though of what she told me, nearly made me lose my head
When I though of what she told me, nearly made me lose my head
But the next time that I saw her
Reminded her of what she said
She said I'm sorry pretty daddy, you know my love is just for you
She said I'm sorry pretty daddy, you know my love is just for you
Won't you say that you'll forgive me
And say your love for me is true
I said wait a minute 'gator, I know you mean it just for play
I said wait a minute 'gator, I know you mean it just for play
Don't you know you really hurt me
And this is what I have to say
See you later alligator, so long, that's all, goodbye
Songwriters: Robert C. Guidry
See You Later, Alligator (Bonus Track) lyrics © BMG Rights Management

it actually doesn't.

1. see
  2. you
  3. la
  4. ter:
  1. in
  2. a
  3. while
vs.
  1. af
  2. ter
  3. a
  4. while

I think most people though pronounce "While" as two distinct syllables like this: wy-uhl. Regional dialects though may pronounce that differently, and shorter, such as "wahll" or "waill" with a long I sound. It's a tough word but rhyming it with crocodile sort of lends itself to the two syllable pronunciation. I think most would say croco-di-al.

Last edited:
1. In
2. A
3. While

1. Croc
2. O
3. Dile

It’s really moot as long as the final response by the croc is not too soon you big baboon.

I think most people though pronounce "While" as two distinct syllables like this: wy-uhl. Regional dialects though may pronounce that differently, and shorter, such as "wahll" or "waill" with a long I sound. It's a tough word but rhyming it with crocodile sort of lends itself to the two syllable pronunciation. I think most would say croco-di-al.

Not sure where you're from, but I've never known anybody to pronounce "while" as two syllables other than some, not all, people from the south. I've lived in the mid-atlantic and midwest areas, but due to jobs have been in contact with peoole from all over the US.

Not sure where you're from, but I've never known anybody to pronounce "while" as two syllables other than some, not all, people from the south. I've lived in the mid-atlantic and midwest areas, but due to jobs have been in contact with peoole from all over the US.

Well, I am from the South. I think most with a southern accent though would say "wahl" as one syllable. The word While may not technically be two syllables, but in practice that seems to be how it sounds. Coming off the long I to the L sound seems to naturally create it. Saying it quickly with a shorter vowel sound (like a short a) seems like one syllable, though I don't think that's proper either.

I’m from the DC/Baltimore area and pronounce it wy-uhl, two syllables.

I only ever heard "in a while, crocodile." Never really paid attention to the lyrics in the song.

I didn’t even know it was a song.

My mom always said, see ya later alligator when I was a child. I thought she coined the phrase. :)
Anyways, the correct response to her was, in a while crocodile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter