• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchair abc's

PolyAddict

DIS Veteran
Please help a wheelchair newbie.

We will be traveling this summer with dd's 13, 12 and 4. The 4 year old will definently need a stroller. My dd 12 has a congenital spine problem(spondylothesis level 3) that may require sugery(still researching after 4 second opinions).

Anyway, as of right now she can walk about 1/2 the distance of a good size mall before she needs to sit down and rest. By the way we didn't know about her problem during our 2003 trip and she had trouble keeping up then.

What are my options for her...
She is not very big for her age, could I rent double stroller and she can split it with her sister. Should I rent a wheelchair and they can split it? She won't need it all the time, just when the pain sets in after walking too long.

Thanks for the advise.

Michele

I'd like some info on this too. We are going on our MAW trip in January. My oldest is 11 and youngest 22 mos. My oldest has dermatomyositis and can't walk very far before she tires or starts hurting. Obivously my youngest will need something too as her little legs as energetic as she is will not be able to keep up either.

Will a double stroller accomodate a small 11 year old and a 22 month old or would a wheelchair to share be best?

I can't reply much right now because I am at work, but a wheelchair to share would not be the best idea. They have sling seats and backs (like a director's chair) and the small er child will be tilted toward the heavier one.

I don't know anything about your DDs condition but do you think it would work to rent a larger stroller from a local company and then have your 4yo use it most of the time and then your 12 year old use it as needed. I think most 4yos would welcome a break from a stroller from time to time. Just a thought.

I agree with Sue...sharing a wheelchair wouldn't be comfortable for either. Your younger girl would be smooshed and it wouldn't provide good alignment for your older girl.

BCV23 said:
I don't know anything about your DDs condition but do you think it would work to rent a larger stroller from a local company and then have your 4yo use it most of the time and then your 12 year old use it as needed. I think most 4yos would welcome a break from a stroller from time to time. Just a thought.

I agree with Sue...sharing a wheelchair wouldn't be comfortable for either. Your younger girl would be smooshed and it wouldn't provide good alignment for your older girl.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into renting. Any suggestions who to rent from?

Thanks

Michele

There is a FAQ near the top of this forum with some contacts. We have used care mobility but to rent power chairs not strollers.

I contacted Care Medical, they do rent strollers but not doubles. They referred us to "KISS" kidsinsafetyseats.com. They also rent strollers but not doubles. So it will be to keep up with two strollers or hope that the disney double stroller will accomodate.

Another question on the Disney strollers. How low to the ground are they? My daughter has a difficult time rising from a low or ground position are the seat positions chair-like height or are they low down?

Thanks for the info.

There's a photo of WDW strollers somewhere on the 'net, but right now I can't seem to find it. I do remember them being pretty low to the ground, though. Although the ones at MGM were different? I'll hunt around a bit more to see if I can find the site.

The MGM strollers seemed to be a mid-height "jogger" type stroller. The other parks seem to use a molded plastic stroller that is very low.

Note that you can get a GAC that allows you to use the stroller as a wc (e.g., take the stroller into line with you). This might be helpful for your situation.

:wave: Cupcake

Thanks cupcake. I think GKTW & Make A Wish set up the GAC for us, however I didn't know that it allowed you to take your stroller into line. Thanks a bunch.

>>>I think GKTW & Make A Wish set up the GAC for us, however I
>>>didn't know that it allowed you to take your stroller into line.

Take a look at the stamp(s) on the GAC when you receive it if you get one and don't have to go to guest services. If that stamp is not there, you can ask for it at guest services at the first park you go to. They are very nice and will fix you right up! Have a great trip!!!

:wave: Cupcake

Dragonfly8124 said:
Thanks cupcake. I think GKTW & Make A Wish set up the GAC for us, however I didn't know that it allowed you to take your stroller into line. Thanks a bunch.
I don't think you will have to worry with GKTW GAC. That pretty much gives you immediate access to everything. I'm not sure it needs any stamps on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter