wheelchair purchase ??

goodwrench67

Earning My Ears
I'm looking into buying a wheelchair for my wife (she has MS). What do I need to look for? Pneumatic tires/hard tires, vinyl seat/cloth seat, transfer chair/conventional chair, Lightweight or normal? Also what's the procedure for billing insurance? Does the doctor fill out a prescription for a chair? We go see the doctor next Monday and I want to know what to ask about. Thanks in advance for your advice.....

:thumbsup2 goodwrench, I would suggest you look on some internet web sites that sell medical equipment. Just do a goole search for wheelchairs and you should pull up a lot of them.

Would she be able to use a scooter? It would give her more independence and if she is under 200 pounds, she could get a really portable one. Just an idea.

Her doctor's office should have some experience with the purchase. You will probably have to have them fax over an order for the purchase. Your insurance will probably cover things or at least most of it.

I am sure you will get some other input soon.

The doctor will write a prescription for the wheelchair & generally refer you over to whomever they use for fitting... that company works with the prescription and your insurance to get the chair covered. For me, I started out with a Pride Mobility mini Jazzy... it was great to be able to get around, but now I've graduated on to a larger chair with more capabilities (such as tilt/recline), but as a first chair, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Jazzy, in fact that is the chair I still travel with since I don't want the airlines to break my new chair!

I'm afraid I don't know much about powered chairs / scooters, but I can answer the questions for manual chairs (at least, my opinions on the matter). Pneumatic tires will give her a slightly more cushioned ride, but need regular pumping up and will probably make you paranoid about every bit of broken glass on the street. I've got pneumatic, and I'm happy with them (apart from the aforementioned paranoia). If your insurance will pay for lightweight, go for lightweight as she (or you) will have to push her weight plus that of the chair. If she's in it most of the day, I'd recommend a wheelchair cushion to relieve pressure and prevent sores. I know you didn't ask about it, but if you're going for a manual chair, you'll have to decide between a folding and a solid frame. The main difference is that a solid frame chair will be lighter and therefore more maneuverable, whereas a folding chair will be easier to store and transport. You'll probably be able to get easily removable wheels with either type, to aid storage / transport.

Good luck :thumbsup2 !

I would suggest taking your wife to a medical mobilty store. That way she can discuss the various options with someone who is a knowledgeable professional and you can both see what the options are.

I'm in a wheelchair for spina bifida. I am in process of getting a new manual chair. I would strongly suggest going to a local mobility store to get her fitted. So many factors are involved, height, arm and leg length etc. Also make sure the chair is adjustable in the footrests, back support etc.

As far as insurance the mobility vendor should take care of that for you. It's as simple as just getting a prescription. If you have any questions post them here. I'll either answer them or find the answer.

Have you thought about where the chair is going to fit for in the car for transport?

Is she wanting to be able to goto the store herself, unload the scooter, and then motor around in the store, put the scooter back in the car, and on her way home?

I've seen other threads about people wanting lifts and such for their cars?
So, if your are planning that to happen to, look into that.

I remember people saying on previous threads their are some issues to think about when trying to this.

Good luck getting the wheel chair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter