wheelchair vs. evc/scooter with service dog ....flying too

bumpysheep

Mouseketeer
I have 2 upcoming short Disney trips. I have always used an EVC. Part of my condition is developing an abnormally straight spine, my last x-rays showed that I have now lost all the natural curve to the spine one should have. This basically throws me offset leaning foward when walking and sitting. It causes lots of painful muscle spasms and fatigue. Here is my question:

I have my own scooter that comes with me to disney, but the seat is not supportive enough as things have progressed. Using the tiller makes things worse sometimes. It looks like I'm going to get fitted for an ultralight manual with the back supports I need. How hard is it pushing yourself around Disney? I'm a little concerned to because I also have my service dog to look out for in the crowds. Usually he is attached to a leash on my scooter with a manual chair I can't really do that.

I want to have a good time and not be really tired. But I also do not want an increase in back pain. Anyone in a similar situation with any advice? Also since I have never flown with a manual chair, how does that work, how often do they damage your chair?

Court

bumpysheep said:
I have 2 upcoming short Disney trips. I have always used an EVC. Here is my question:

I have my own scooter that comes with me to disney, but the seat is not supportive enough as things have progressed. Using the tiller makes things worse sometimes. It looks like I'm going to get fitted for an ultralight manual with the back supports I need. How hard is it pushing yourself around Disney? I'm a little concerned to because I also have my service dog to look out for in the crowds. Usually he is attached to a leash on my scooter with a manual chair I can't really do that.

I want to have a good time and not be really tired. But I also do not want an increase in back pain. Anyone in a similar situation with any advice? Also since I have never flown with a manual chair, how does that work, how often do they damage your chair?

Court

If your scooter's tiller setup is a problem, reposition the tiller so that it is closer to you or set up a curved bar that joins the tips of the handlebars (sort of a bow/arrow shape without the arrow) and use that to steer with. It'll allow you to shorten the space your arms have to reach and allow you to sit up straighter and also to steer with your hands closer together, which will ease the strain on your back. I would guess that any power transport option would be more effective in reducing strain. Has your Service Dog been trained to pull your chair? If not, you might start practicing now, then you only need one arm to steer with and guide the dog...(There are a couple of websites that sell a selection of special leather harnesses that have a handle to hold to connect you to the dog) verbal directional commands for the dog are a big help, too...I had a problem with running into Cash with my scooter when turning right until I taught him the "go right" command. He never had a problem turning left with him as it involved turning left and away from him, rather than right and into him.
For your dog's comfort on the acres of hot asphalt and concrete at WDW, get your dog some leather booties, too. He'll be annoyed at wearing them, at first but will get used to them within a block and it will really save his feet.
Whether using a scooter or a manual chair you need to keep your dog attached to something. There are many suggestions for dealing with this dog/wheels problem in a book called Teamwork II, by Stewart Nordensson. Teamwork I is also good but the second volume covers less obedience training and more disability assistance training. By the way, people will be so enthralled with your dog that you'll actually have an easier time getting through the crowds... :rotfl:

As for the frequency of damage to a manual chair I'd say that they are never damaged if the airline you're using follows the directives of the Air Carrier's Access Act and stows your chair in the cupboard in the cabin. According to law your wheelchair has first dibs on that cupboard, although many airlines will use it for crew luggage and coats, etc. If the cupboard is too much trouble to fight for, see if the airlines will provide a carton...you never know...Also, did you know that you can fly with both your scooter AND your wheelchair, AND your service dog? Just pile your carry-on luggage on your chair and tow the chair behind your scooter, attached with a bungee cord...WAGON TRAIN!!

videogal1 said:
If your scooter's tiller setup is a problem, reposition the tiller so that it is closer to you or set up a curved bar that joins the tips of the handlebars (sort of a bow/arrow shape without the arrow) and use that to steer with. It'll allow you to shorten the space your arms have to reach and allow you to sit up straighter and also to steer with your hands closer together, which will ease the strain on your back. I would guess that any power transport option would be more effective in reducing strain. Has your Service Dog been trained to pull your chair? If not, you might start practicing now, then you only need one arm to steer with and guide the dog...(There are a couple of websites that sell a selection of special leather harnesses that have a handle to hold to connect you to the dog) verbal directional commands for the dog are a big help, too...I had a problem with running into Cash with my scooter when turning right until I taught him the "go right" command. He never had a problem turning left with him as it involved turning left and away from him, rather than right and into him.
For your dog's comfort on the acres of hot asphalt and concrete at WDW, get your dog some leather booties, too. He'll be annoyed at wearing them, at first but will get used to them within a block and it will really save his feet.
Whether using a scooter or a manual chair you need to keep your dog attached to something. There are many suggestions for dealing with this dog/wheels problem in a book called Teamwork II, by Stewart Nordensson. Teamwork I is also good but the second volume covers less obedience training and more disability assistance training. By the way, people will be so enthralled with your dog that you'll actually have an easier time getting through the crowds... :rotfl:

As for the frequency of damage to a manual chair I'd say that they are never damaged if the airline you're using follows the directives of the Air Carrier's Access Act and stows your chair in the cupboard in the cabin. According to law your wheelchair has first dibs on that cupboard, although many airlines will use it for crew luggage and coats, etc. If the cupboard is too much trouble to fight for, see if the airlines will provide a carton...you never know...Also, did you know that you can fly with both your scooter AND your wheelchair, AND your service dog? Just pile your carry-on luggage on your chair and tow the chair behind your scooter, attached with a bungee cord...WAGON TRAIN!!

Hmmm. I do not want to sit up "straight" as I said I can't due to the impairment. Its sort of difficult to explain if you can't see me. The problem is the angle I have there is now nothing supporting my back in the scooter.

Yeah Holden has boots, about 4 sets of them! I get a little obsessive about protecting his feet in style!

My org does not allow dogs to pull wheelchairs. I'm on the board of that org. So that ends that since I agree with them. Last years ADI conference had a sem. on gaiting in dogs that pulled chairs vs. does with momentum harnesses for walking. Any doubt I had towards it before and a few horrow stories later from Vets of working dogs and I would never allow my dog to pull a chair

I can fly with BOTH? I had no idea, I might just do that. I'm concerned because it's very costly ultralight (about 3-4k) and it is rigid unibody so I don't think it doesn't fold much at all, I do not want to ruin it and I won't be getting it until end of Feb so it'll be pretty new and all. Since I'll be going down with 4 other people they will help me mange luggage wise. Where in the ACAA says that one can fly with both a scooter and chair? Have you done this before? Sounds like it could work but bordering excessive.

My dog can work with the chair fine, my confusion is the set up. I get distracted so easily I don't know I would be able to mind the leash, watch where are going and propel myself. Unfortunately I gave away my Teamwork 2 three years ago. I'm going to see what I can do with the tiller now...

thanks.

videogal1 said:
As for the frequency of damage to a manual chair I'd say that they are never damaged if the airline you're using follows the directives of the Air Carrier's Access Act and stows your chair in the cupboard in the cabin. According to law your wheelchair has first dibs on that cupboard, although many airlines will use it for crew luggage and coats, etc.
Not all airplanes have a cupboard/closet big enough to put a wheelchair in. And, depending on your wheelchair, it may not fold compactly enough to fit even if they have a cupboard. Also, they only have to provide space for 1 wheelchair, so it is possible that someone else will already be using it for their wheelchair.
We have found that the gate agent is our friend when we have wanted to put DD's wheelchair in the closet. The Flight Attendants are not usually very helpful - especially the First Class ones because you are often using what they consider "their" closet for "their" first class passengers. That's where the gate agent has been helpful to us - in advocating against a FA who "needed the closet for the First Class Passengers to put their coats."
The FA have usually been cooperative in moving their luggage - AFTER I pointed out that I was removing the quick release wheels from DD's wheelchair to better fit in the closet AND that there would be grease both on the wheelchair near the axel area and the axels. Some moved theirs out of the way quickly - some refused to move, but they got grease on theirs.

Hello Sue.

I will be flying Airtran both times, I do not think they have first class. Will they still have a closet that I should have access to assuming their is not a wheelchair in their already?

Thanks.

airtran does have clousets for wheelchairs but since yours does not fold you won;t be able to use it.
We fly with both the power chair and manual all the time without any problems. :pug:

More:

If your wheelchair folds or if it breaks down in pieces that will fit in
the on-board closet then you don't have to check your wheelchair at all. For
all aircraft with 100 or more seats they are required to have an in
passenger cabin storage location that can hold a standard size folding or
break down wheelchair. If that storage area is actually the first class closet, a wheelchair has priority over all first class baggage and hanging items and a 'chair has priority over crew luggage often stowed in that closet. The
only requirement is that you pre-board the flight.

If your wheelchair doesn't fold or break down, you can check your
'chair at the gate. If your 'chair will fit onto the aircraft for
you to use to get to your seat, you can do that and have the cabin crew take your 'chair off of the aircraft and put in the checked baggage hold. Wheelchairs are supposed to be the last thing loaded and the first
thing taken off of the aircraft. You have the right to have your wheelchair
returned to you at the door of the aircraft (or at your seat if it will fit
down the aisle) in a timely manner. Airlines do not have the right to make
people with disabilities wait until all other passengers have deplaned
before allowing you off of the aircraft.

You have the right to bring on board with you carry on items that are
medically necessary in the context of your disability that will fit under
your seat or in the overhead compartment. These items do not count against
the number of carry on items you are allowed. So if the airline allows two
carry on items you can bring the case with ar CPAP on board as carry on
plus two additional carry on items. Medical equipment ranging from shower
wheelchairs, power wheelchairs, even food for service dogs, can be checked
as checked baggage and such baggage does not count against the amount of
checked baggage you are allowed. If three checked bags are allowed then you
get to check three bags in addition to any equipment you need due to your
disability.
I usually fly Southwest Air, who states in its on-line baggage instructions that medical equipment does not count against the carry-on limit. I nearly always end up taking four carry-on bags because I am not inclined to ship my delicate spring-hinged braces in the checked baggage hold. As a result, I almost always have a fight on my hands when the Southwest employees who do not know their own regulations try and check all my carry-on bags. I have never tried to claim dog food as a free checked bag but, with a transatlantic cruise coming up I just might have to...No dog food outlets in the middle of the Atlantic for sure! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

pugdog said:
airtran does have clousets for wheelchairs but since yours does not fold you won;t be able to use it.
We fly with both the power chair and manual all the time without any problems. :pug:

As far as the closet, the size is different on the airlines, from
aircraft type and aircraft type, and layout to layout. My friend always
asks the airline what equipment is scheduled for her flights and
then asks for the closet dimensions for that plane. She started doing this because she does not have quick release wheels and a seat back that folds down and she discovered once that her wheelchair would not fit in the closet. When another friend flys with a rigid frame manual wheelchair with wire wheels she has the attendants put her wheels and seat cushion in the closet and the rest of the 'chair placed in the baggage compartment, which keeps the spokes from getting bent or broken and keeps the cushion in good shape. :banana: :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter