• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wheelchairs at WDW

ryoung

MN Lakes Dad
We are going down to DWD next week. Due to foot surgery, my wife will need to use a wheelchair. Does anyone know how it works for the lines when there is a wheelchair in the party?

Thanks for your assistance. This is going to be a new experience with a wheelchair and we are not sure what to expect.

Most of the lines are accessible so you just get in the regular line unless a CM tells you to go somewhere else. The fast pass lines are also accessible.

Here is the link for Guidebook for Guests With Disabilities

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/Plain?id=PlainHomePage#guidebook

I would also suggest that because of mobility issues she should rent an EVC
from an offsite company.
I have a disability and have rented mine from Care Medical (800-741-2282) and Walker Mobility (888-726-6837) in the past. I would recommend either one.The cost is about $30 a day. The ones at the parks cost $35 a day and are bigger and have 4 wheels kinda like a golf card. They are harder to steer and to control. If she rents from an offsite rental they will deliver the EVC to bell services at the resort. She can use it to go to the pool, and food court as well as the bus stop. If she is not familar with a scooter have her practice at a store before the trip.Walmart and Target as well as several stores have them for customers.
Almost all the Disney buses are accessible. I love using my EVC it gives me more indepence and helps keep my pain to a minimum. I just back my EVC into the room, plug it in and I ready to go to the parks in the morning.

if you are staying in a Disney resort. WDW has wheelchairs - the manual type - free for their guests.

call whoever you make the reservations with and add the wheelchair.

no guaranteeds - but I have never been told none available.

I need to reiterate and reinforce minnie61650's comparison between off-site ECV rentals and the ones Disney rents.

Disney's are larger and MUCH harder to maneuver. I never noticed it before my last trip. I'd alway rented inside the parks. I never even noticed much difference among Disney's, Universal's and Sea World's equipment. But I broke my hip last year; that, combined with worsening arthritis and solo travel, convinced me to look off-site (btw, Randy's Mobility is another good supplier).
Well, the ECV I had in September 'chose' to simply stop working inside Buzz Lightyear. Two Tomorrowland managers were called, and they ended up making arrangements for somebody from wheelchair rental to bring me a 'loaner' ECV to get to the front of the park and take up there (where the rental company would pick it up the next day and bring a replacement to my Resort).

Well, aside from the bulk and the lack of speed - a good thing, I guess, given that nobody would move :) out of my way, the Disney ECVs require you to flip a switch and press the same throttle to go forward and backward. It's a REALLY good thing I only had to drive Disney's equipment that short distance!

There is more information about the various places to get wheelchairs and ECVs from the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.

As the others said, most of the lines/attractions are wheelchair/ecv accessible and your whole party will be able to stay together in line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter