When are they going to fix the Monorail/EPCOT security glitch?

buzzrelly

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

We just got back and had a fabulous time! We stayed at the Polynesian and I have to say I LOVE the new security procedure getting on the monorail there and going to the MK. But going to EPCOT…not so much. I don't understand why they haven't fixed this yet. It seems totally unnecessary to have to go through back check twice.

Anyone have any guesses as to when (IF) this will be fixed? It seems like it should be simple enough to reroute the guests who have been screened already by adding a couple gates/fences.

We are going back in April and I really hope they have this figured out by then!

I agree it makes no sense to me and they easily could have the people getting off the monorail go through one entrance and others go through a different security area. Also I find it a major problem that people going from Epcot to Magic Kingdom go through no security at all.

Haven’t they been screened getting into Epcot already?
I haven't parked at Epcot in a while, is the security before you reach the monorail area? I know when I've left Epcot I walk straight to the monorail and go to Magic Kingdom without seeing any security.

I haven't parked at Epcot in a while, is the security before you reach the monorail area? I know when I've left Epcot I walk straight to the monorail and go to Magic Kingdom without seeing any security.

Yes.

It's hugely annoying. But difficult to implement. Guests board the monorail at the MK to get to the Epcot line at TTC (they have, presumably, gone through bag check already at MK), but there are going to be those that are boarding at the TTC. How do you then differentiate between those who have gone through bag check and those who haven't. Maybe a hand stamp? But it is annoying to go through bag check once, and then have to wait in a long line to do it again at Epcot.

It's hugely annoying. But difficult to implement. Guests board the monorail at the MK to get to the Epcot line at TTC (they have, presumably, gone through bag check already at MK), but there are going to be those that are boarding at the TTC. How do you then differentiate between those who have gone through bag check and those who haven't. Maybe a hand stamp? But it is annoying to go through bag check once, and then have to wait in a long line to do it again at Epcot.
A hand stamp wouldn't be practical from a security standpoint. After going thru bag check in the MK area, one could easily pick up something dangerous between the MK monorail line and the one going to EPCOT. Any time people have access to an"unsanitized" area, they need to be rechecked before entering a controlled/secure zone.

Anyone have any guesses as to when (IF) this will be fixed? It seems like it should be simple enough to reroute the guests who have been screened already by adding a couple gates/fences.

We are going back in April and I really hope they have this figured out by then!
Just arrived back home early Thursday AM. I don't think they will change anything before your next trip, however I would encourage you to voice your opinion to Disney. I thought the entire bag check/additional screening was the biggest drag on this trip. Don't get me wrong we all had a lot of fun and great times. Most of the checkers were nice, my daughter did encounter some overly aggressive ones at the AK bag check. I suppose he didn't like something about the way she took her bag back from him? And wanted to detain her at the gate even after the additional screening process was complete. Perhaps he was having a bad day, but I would believe that is beyond their authority.

Just arrived back home early Thursday AM. I don't think they will change anything before your next trip, however I would encourage you to voice your opinion to Disney. I thought the entire bag check/additional screening was the biggest drag on this trip. Don't get me wrong we all had a lot of fun and great times. Most of the checkers were nice, my daughter did encounter some overly aggressive ones at the AK bag check. I suppose he didn't like something about the way she took her bag back from him? And wanted to detain her at the gate even after the additional screening process was complete. Perhaps he was having a bad day, but I would believe that is beyond their authority.
I had a nasty experience at AK too. I would've complained but DD and I were doing a whirlwind four parks in two days trip and I didn't have time to waste. Wonder if it was the same guy.

Bag screening area at TTC is outside the monorail area. You can't get on any monorail without going through screening. So everyone is screened at MK, or TTC, or MK area hotel before boarding the monorail. Unless I'm missing something. Going through screening again at Epcot is a duplicate and annoying.

Edit to add: I forgot the other direction, you get on the monorail at Epcot without screening. Which seems like a bit of an issue, post added below. Edit #2: I was right the first time, everyone getting on a monorail has been screened, on both directions.

Last edited:
I don't think it will change-no practical way to "route" Monorail guests from Epcot Platform to tapstiles "around" unchecked Guests.

It is a trade-off-no check at Magic Kingdom when taking the Monorail from Epcot.

Actually, getting on the monorail from Epcot you're outside the secure area, then when you get to TTC, you're inside the secure area. So why the heck does Disney let that happen? Correct me if I'm wrong, but someone can park at Epcot, get on the monorail to TTC, and bam they're inside the secure area with no screening. I was only thinking of going the opposite direction.

Edit: ignore me, I forgot exit area is different than entrance area

Last edited:
Actually, getting on the monorail from Epcot you're outside the secure area, then when you get to TTC, you're inside the secure area. So why the heck does Disney let that happen? Correct me if I'm wrong, but someone can park at Epcot, get on the monorail to TTC, and bam they're inside the secure area with no screening. I was only thinking of going the opposite direction.
Anyone boarding the Epcot Monorail at Epcot has been screened.

Since the new security proedures were implemented in April, everyone boarding any monorail line on the MK resort area side has been screened at some point in their journey. Resort guests are screened at the resort monorail platform, TTC guests are scanned before entering the TTC, anyone that came to the MK by bus or boat was scanned at their respective drop off points.

Everyone who is on the Epcot monorail line heading TO Epcot has already been screened at some point and was never “outside” the bubble.

The cause of the “double screening” once you get to Epcot is the physical layout of the monorail exit there. Unfortunately it’s configured in such a way that it dumps out right there on the path that also handles guests coming from the busses - a spot that is currently “outside the bubble.”

Judging from the physical layout of that space, I don’t think there’s really an easy solution to keep the monorail guests totally separate without a much more substantial reconfiguration of that area. I suspect that may be in the plans somewhere down the road, but for now the ‘double Epcot screening’ is an unfortunate reality only fixable by $.

As for people taking the Epcot monorail TO the TTC... the Epcot monorail entrance is INSIDE the security bubble, not outside. If you get on the Epcot monorail, you were screened when you go to Epcot, either at the main entrance or IG. Doesn’t matter if you drove, took the monorail, or took a bus to get to Epcot - you would have been screened before being able to get to the Epcot monorail entrance.

Bag screening area at TTC is outside the monorail area. You can't get on any monorail without going through screening. So everyone is screened at MK, or TTC, or MK area hotel before boarding the monorail. Unless I'm missing something. Going through screening again at Epcot is a duplicate and annoying.

Edit to add: I forgot the other direction, you get on the monorail at Epcot without screening. Which seems like a bit of an issue, post added below.

Sorry, these statements are incorrect.

No, that’s not how it works. If you park at Epcot, you’d be screened before being able to get into that front plaza / ticket booth area where the Epcot monorail entrance is located.

The simple way to think about it is that the Epcot monorail exit is outside the bubble; the Epcot monorail entrance is inside the bubble. I think that’s where a lot of the confusion comes from.

No, that’s not how it works. If you park at Epcot, you’d be screened before being able to get into that front plaza / ticket booth area where the Epcot monorail entrance is located.

The simple way to think about it is that the Epcot monorail exit is outside the bubble; the Epcot monorail entrance is inside the bubble.

Yeah, that.

The simple way to think about it is that the Epcot monorail exit is outside the bubble; the Epcot monorail entrance is inside the bubble. I think that’s where a lot of the confusion comes from.

See, I figured I was wrong! Thanks for correcting me I completely forgot the entrance and exit are in different places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter