When did you make the transition from "Mommy/Daddy" to "Mom/Dad"?

My mom passed last year when I was 38, I still called her mama. Of course when I talked about her to others, I called her mom. I interchange whether I say dad or daddy though. My son is almost 19 and he calls me mama still.

I never called my parents "mommy" and "daddy", just "mom" and "dad". My nieces call me "uncle" and they call my dad "Pop". They called my mom "mimi", which is what we used to call her mom.

Right now I would like my mom to not be talking to me and to stay out of my room and stop saying about bugs that don't even exist and no longer be saying my name and no longer tell me where she's going and no longer call me on my cellphone.
…..
I'm not going to ask, but if I were to ask, I would ask:
1. What?
2. How has your situation outlined in your post brought you to resurrect this thread?

Mater had many names and they were used as needed and had nothing to do with my or her age.

Mom, Mommy, Moo Cow, Joyce, Honey, She Who Must be Obeyed, the Empress. She answered if she wanted to in the manner that met the moment.

Her former husband was known as Dad, Lying Lionel, St. Lionel of the Subway, Papa’s son, and eventually dearolddeaddad. The dear was because he actually left money to his children instead of his latest wife. Boy was she surprised.

Right now I would like my mom to not be talking to me and to stay out of my room and stop saying about bugs that don't even exist and no longer be saying my name and no longer tell me where she's going and no longer call me on my cellphone.
Welcome to the dis, Good.

Hope you get all that stuff straightened out with mom. Lots of things there.

DH refuses to be called Dad because his dad was “Dad”and a horrible one. It must be Daddy and I’m Mama. Southern family here also, Louisiana. Kids don’t seem to mind. I still call my parents Mama and Daddy.

[pssst... wishes his mom was still around to do those things is what the post refers to I would say...]

Never called my parents mommy or daddy. My girls never called us mommy or daddy.

2. How has your situation outlined in your post brought you to resurrect this thread?
Usually they are people who have googled something, the DIS pops up in Google, they register and post. They do not see or pay attention to what kind of board it is or how old the thread is.

The Dis should work how TripAdvisor works, after x months/years of silence a thread should be closed.

I suppose I called my parents mommy and daddy when I was little, but I don’t recall that. When talking about them they are mom and dad when talking to them they are mum and dad. DH called his mom mum as well.

My girls said mumma when they were little and mom now. DH is mostly dad. Youngest DD will still call him daddy sometimes and I call him that when talking about him to them sometimes although DD told me the other day not to do that in public. The older two will only use dad although middle DD18 sometimes uses his first name.

I called my father Daddy until the day he died. My kids haven’t made the transition yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter