• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do keep watching the WestJet website though. I feel they had a warning about the border last time because they cancelled all their flights basically until June 21 or so.
So far, all flights showing from here to Orlando For July every day, but if they all of a sudden cancel all those then it will be a bit of a heads up about the border I think.
Agree. Last month WJ extended their flight suspensions about 5 days before the 'official' word came down from the PM. So I'm watching WJ too. So far my end of August Orlando flights are still 'a go' eventhough we are not going lol I'm just waiting til closer to our flight date to cancel so as to extend our 24 month credit ;-)

Oooh, good to know about the credit! I thought the countdown started from day of booking (which for me was March 2020). Good to know when/if I cancel my August trip it will be effective my cancellation date! I mean I would hope we end up going long before the expiry but good to know in case :)

I love how this has made everyone an epidemiologist - just a link showing it was likely spreading back in August, which makes the spread far wider then previously thought. Add that with the large number of asymptomatic cases and the majority of people who do get sick presenting mild cases and you get where we are now.

Would have closing the borders earlier slowed the spread - maybe? I doubt anyone will ever really know, and if they do they won't be posting about it here. Like everything in life it's just best guesses and hindsight in the end.

While I'm not a trained epidemiologist, I am a biologist (a geneticist to be exact) so I can read scientific papers (btw, CNN is not) and our first confirmed cases in CHSLDs (long term care homes) have been traced back to travellers coming back by our provincial public health epidemiologists. I was basically quoting our public health director on how the crisis started in QC CHSLDs. Not inventing anything. Was the virus around earlier than we initially thought in China, maybe but until we have peer-reviewed serious papers on the matter, we don't know and back in August (or even early February), people were not getting admitted to the ICU in big numbers with COVID-like symptoms and our long-term facilities were not having extra deaths compared to previous years here.

I had to cancel our big 20th anniversary trip in August because of the pandemic so I understand that it sucks that we cannot travel. On that, I wrote what I had to say and won't continue defending my opinion because some people don't want to quarantine after they return from traveling to a country (USA) that basically abandoned the idea of flattening the curve in many states and where they don't test enough to have a 'true' picture of the situation.

While I agree that the earlier spring break played a roll, the reason that Quebec and Ontario’s outbreak was so bad was their criminally horrific Long Term Home conditions.
Oh, I don't think I would agree with that. There certainly have been some care homes that have had large numbers of cases you can't blanket it. The news only reports on the bad. We have five long term care homes in my city and only one had cases. They were quickly isolated and our city, at the moment, have no cases. I would like to keep it that way.
So no, I would not agree that the reason Quebec and Ontario's outbreak was so bad was because of horrific long term home conditions. There was way more to it than being that simplistic.

Oh, I don't think I would agree with that. There certainly have been some care homes that have had large numbers of cases you can't blanket it. The news only reports on the bad. We have five long term care homes in my city and only one had cases. They were quickly isolated and our city, at the moment, have no cases. I would like to keep it that way.
So no, I would not agree that the reason Quebec and Ontario's outbreak was so bad was because of horrific long term home conditions. There was way more to it than being that simplistic.
Were they private or public long term care homes. Because the public care home have fared much better.

I love how this has made everyone an epidemiologist - just a link showing it was likely spreading back in August, which makes the spread far wider then previously thought. Add that with the large number of asymptomatic cases and the majority of people who do get sick presenting mild cases and you get where we are now.

Would have closing the borders earlier slowed the spread - maybe? I doubt anyone will ever really know, and if they do they won't be posting about it here. Like everything in life it's just best guesses and hindsight in the end.
You do understand that this is based on images of parking lots and internet searches? Not very scientific. I would not use this as a basis of assumption but others can if they so choose.

Were they private or public long term care homes. Because the public care home have fared much better.
Two public and three private. It was a public one that had the few cases but as I mentioned they have been cleared. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Oooh, good to know about the credit! I thought the countdown started from day of booking (which for me was March 2020). Good to know when/if I cancel my August trip it will be effective my cancellation date! I mean I would hope we end up going long before the expiry but good to know in case :)
Yes the date for your credits start on tbe day you cancel, not the date of original purchase :)

Its a shame my mom had to drop out her clinical epidemiology program about halfway through when she contracted breast cancer at 49. She has a college nursing diploma however , and a bachelor of nursing, and her nurse practitioner , and finally a PHD in nursing that she earned at 57. My brother went to med school, and is a psychiatrist , and my brother in law is a neurosurgeon. Two sister in laws who are nurses. I hope that satisfies your criteria for who can have an opinion. I’m pretty confident with the advice I’m getting .

My younger sister is living in Florida and having her first child next month and none of us can see her and vice versa. It sucks but we accept it. I know it’s hard but it’s a public health measure protecting more than just our family and I don’t see an alternative.

We hate that my very pregnant sister can‘t come home and we can’t go see her before she has her first baby. Its extremely hard on her and I’m sure it’s hard on my parents ...and who even knows when we will get a chance to see that baby? Its hard but I fail to see how it’s unfair. It’s a public health measure that applies to us all.

Last edited:

This hasn't made me an epidemiologist - my PhD did that. You take one media report of one non-reviewed study where even the authors admit that, even if their observations and results are correct, it doesn't mean that the virus was already active and you conclude that "it was likely spreading back in August". I'm assuming that you aren't an epidemiologist or any related field. That is seriously shaky evidence. It may prove to be true, but until there is a lot more evidence, I'm not at all convinced.

In terms of the border - I, like others, understand even if I don't like it. I'm a Canadian living abroad, so this makes it hard (but not impossible) to visit my family in Canada (and impossible to visit the ones that live in the US). Though I realise that my issue is not the US/Canada border issue which is the one under discussion here; my issue is the rules for those coming in from Europe (which, for Canada, means 14-day quarantine on arrival for Canadian citizens).

I do keep watching the WestJet website though. I feel they had a warning about the border last time because they cancelled all their flights basically until June 21 or so.
So far, all flights showing from here to Orlando For July every day, but if they all of a sudden cancel all those then it will be a bit of a heads up about the border I think.
Good idea! I hadn’t thought of that. I expect they will cancel, but now I will be watching as well!

Please don't paint everyone with the same broad brush. Your ex husband may be irresponsible about this virus but many of us are not.

Mental health is equally as important as physical health, and this extended separation is taking a crippling toll on many, which is equally as damning as Covid 19.
I understand your frustration. But the 14 quarantine is necessary to keep people coming into Canada to possible infecting others. Huge amounts of our cases at the beginning of this are directly related to people who travelled and did not quarantine. They have offered a solution to those who have immediate family and have been separated, while taking steps to keep Canadians safe. You have a choice, find a way to follow those rules, which are reasonable or don’t come. You can get an Airbnb for a few weeks and visit everyone after your quarantine.

I don’t think many Canadians would agree with opening up the risk of importing new cases just because what has been proposed doesn’t “work” for some people.

I though credit was based on date of flight ?
I found this from the WJ website:

"Travel Bank credits from changed or cancelled flights can be used to pay for flights up to 24 months from the date your flight was cancelled. "

So I take that to mean if I cancel my August 22nd flight to Orlando on say, August 15th - the credit expires on August 15th 2022, not August 22 2022. However, if WJ cancels before I do then obvs the credit would expire the day they cancel (if they cancel on say July 29th, then the credit would expire July 29 2022).

You can also buy a 2 year extention for about $20 so the credit is good for 48 months if you think of it that way.

I received a reply from BMO's travel insurance carrier, Allianz Global. Here is their reply on coverage for COVID-19:

Dear _________,

Thank-you for contacting Allianz Global Assistance.

We have reviewed your e-mail and at this current time there is no exclusions with regards to pandemics within the BMO Air Miles World Elite MasterCard.

However, there are exclusions and stipulations with regards to travel advisories that should be considered when planning future travel.

Medical Exclusions:

The insurance does not cover, provide services or pay claims resulting from:
  • Your travel to a country for which the Canadian government has issued a Travel Advisory in writing prior to Your Departure Date.
For trip cancellation benefits to apply with respects to COVID 19:
  • A Travel Advisory needs to be issued by the Canadian Government for tour ticketed destination after you book Your Trip. Therefore if you were to purchase a trip now but later decide to cancel due to COVID19 it would not be eligible for you to claim for the expenses. This is due to the fact that as posted on https://travel.gc.ca/, there is a worldwide travel advisory.
The current posted advisory is as follows:
  • "Official travel advisories are in effect: Avoid non-essential travel outside Canada and avoid all travel on cruise ships until further notice."
Should you have any further questions or concerns do not hesitate to contact our offices directly. We are available 24 hours 7 days a week at 1-877-704-0341 within North America or by collect call to 519-741-0782.

Note: Please be advised that any benefits addressed in this email are pending verification of coverage and the full terms and conditions of your insurance policy.

Looks like I would be fully insured for our December trip since we did book our trip on January 3, 2020, way before this all started. Good to know that the only stipulation is the Travel Advisory. Once that is lifted, regardless of COVID-19, looks like cardholders would have full coverage. Although I think the advisory will be in place until a vaccine is produced.

I saw that loophole article today...which good to know since I booked trip to Orlando in September 😂 Now thinking, hmm if we can get a reservation maybe take an earlier trip too... (I work from home; so 14 day quarantine not an issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter