When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
😭 When are they going to let us out! My AP will be extended to October at minimum, so thinking September trip - but will they open the border by then?!? They can’t keep doing this extension stuff off the cuff, I’m so over not being able to plan my life. Yes there is a risk, but the risk is everywhere. Will WDW refund let us refund later if our country doesn’t let us travel before expiry 😜

😭 When are they going to let us out! My AP will be extended to October at minimum, so thinking September trip - but will they open the border by then?!? They can’t keep doing this extension stuff off the cuff, I’m so over not being able to plan my life. Yes there is a risk, but the risk is everywhere. Will WDW refund let us refund later if our country doesn’t let us travel before expiry 😜

Our APs expire at the end of November. I am sure if there was a deadline to call to request the refund. We knew that we would not feel comfortable going to the parks until at least mid 2021, so I called on Monday to request the refund for the period of time the parks are closed and the CM advised that once the decision is made to refund, it cannot be changed. I asked the CM if the reopening dates recently announced will be the dates that our AP will be extended but she was unaware. I know for Shanghai DL, they announced that the APs would be extended until the reservation system for park entry was lifted and I hope that is the case for WDW, otherwise our APs were very expensive this year as we have only taken one trip out of the 4 that were planned (March, August & November cancelled).

I would plan on the 14 quarantine to last until the end of the year. I actually hope that’s the case. Say we get things under control here. Why would we want to risk someone bringing it in from somewhere else? The quarantine is a way for us to get back to normal even if the US is still having significant cases.

I would plan on the 14 quarantine to last until the end of the year. I actually hope that’s the case. Say we get things under control here. Why would we want to risk someone bringing it in from somewhere else? The quarantine is a way for us to get back to normal even if the US is still having significant cases.
I agree. I hate that it’s necessary but I really do think its for the best.

Make people limit what they do and wear a mask. I would love to be able to see my niece - they live in the US, would like to come to Canada; but not if there is a 14 day quarantine. My mom really wants to see her only grandchild. It’s killing her not being able to go there, or them not being able to come here.

We just cancelled out Sept trip. Flying from Canada just about doubles the cost of the vacation, and I just can't justify paying $6K for this weird, stressful experience. Cases are not going down in the US, I don't see our government opening the border to vacation travel any time soon, it would be totally irresponsible given the numbers. Figured it was better to just bite the bullet and cancel now while Delta was still offering such a generous cancellation policy (full eCredit, good through Sept 2022). We'll go next year if we can manage to get the vaccine in time, or it naturally burns out like SARS did.

Make people limit what they do and wear a mask. I would love to be able to see my niece - they live in the US, would like to come to Canada; but not if there is a 14 day quarantine. My mom really wants to see her only grandchild. It’s killing her not being able to go there, or them not being able to come here.
I thought they were going to make some exceptions for families?

I thought they were going to make some exceptions for families?

The exception for immediate families is worthless to most of us. We would be forced to quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival. So not only do we need someone who can house us for 14 days minimum, but we would also need that much time off work. It's not practical for those of us with jobs, pets, homes, etc. to be away that long. Plus, we have more than one immediate family member who we need to see.....in our case, an adult son, and two elderly mothers. Under the existing guidelines, we still couldn't see them all.

I feel for you I do but I’m also the ex wife of a USA citizen residing back in Canada with the children .
He has been totally irresponsible with the Pandemic crossing state lines to attend parties etc. and it’s just the flu acc to him .
my current community has zero that’s right zero active cases. If he was to come up and not quarantine he would be possibly exposing our children and my two older children who are both medically high risk .
So just say he gets my household sick because it’s inconvenient for him to self quarantine for 14 days. So now I’m sick at home with children and unable to work that’s pretty inconvenient for us . Not to mention being sick and risking the kids I’m risking losing my income until we are clear.
Did I mention I work in health care with vulnerable people so I would be off work If he comes for 14 days to ensure I am not carrying the virus and infecting them.
I feel for you I do.. hopefully something changes soon be it declining or a vaccine or a treatment or something .

The exception for immediate families is worthless to most of us. We would be forced to quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival. So not only do we need someone who can house us for 14 days minimum, but we would also need that much time off work. It's not practical for those of us with jobs, pets, homes, etc. to be away that long. Plus, we have more than one immediate family member who we need to see.....in our case, an adult son, and two elderly mothers. Under the existing guidelines, we still couldn't see them all.

I feel for you I do but I’m also the ex wife of a USA citizen residing back in Canada with the children .
He has been totally irresponsible with the Pandemic crossing state lines to attend parties etc. and it’s just the flu acc to him .
my current community has zero that’s right zero active cases. If he was to come up and not quarantine he would be possibly exposing our children and my two older children who are both medically high risk .
So just say he gets my household sick because it’s inconvenient for him to self quarantine for 14 days. So now I’m sick at home with children and unable to work that’s pretty inconvenient for us . Not to mention being sick and risking the kids I’m risking losing my income until we are clear.
Did I mention I work in health care with vulnerable people so I would be off work If he comes for 14 days to ensure I am not carrying the virus and infecting them.
I feel for you I do.. hopefully something changes soon be it declining or a vaccine or a treatment or something .

Please don't paint everyone with the same broad brush. Your ex husband may be irresponsible about this virus but many of us are not.

Mental health is equally as important as physical health, and this extended separation is taking a crippling toll on many, which is equally as damning as Covid 19.

Well, unpopular opinion. I think what has been put in place is very fair. This virus is showing no sign of leveling off in the USA as it has started to spike again in many states. All it's going to take is that one husband who is listed above to think that rules 'don't apply to me' to get it all started again here, in Canada. There are just to many of those type. No, this is not everyone but again, all it takes is one and I have seen many more on the news to even think it's just one or two. And lets keep in mind, this is something that has been agreed upon by both countries, not just Canada.

Right now we are on the right track and it would be nice if it stayed that way. Yes, we have hot spots however they are being kept to their own areas. We are doing a good job at keeping this contained and not growing the way it is down south. Fingers crossed it stays that way but if we open the border to everyone it will not be and we will have to start lockdown all over again.

There is a solution, do the quarantine. If you can't or won't I'm really sorry but it's what's helping our country stay safe. If the border stays closed till the end of the year, if that's what needs to happen, I'm down with that. I'm very sorry for those who are not.

I should point out that although I’m disappointed, I also realize it’s for the best. I think it’s ok to both be extremely sad about a trip being cancelled But then also knowing that it’s for the best. Don’t want my sadness/frustration about having to cancel due to the border/quarantine make it seem like I just want it to open up ASAP. I know they will end it when it’s safe to.

I agree 100% that the border should be kept closed and when it re-opens, 14-day quarantine should be mandatory. QC has been hit really hard and it all started because we had our Spring break early so people came back infected and they went to visit their elderly parents upon their return. At the time, we didn't know how bad an idea it was but now we do. Our numbers are getting better now (we are finally past the peak) and even now I refuse to see my parents who live 3h away because we are still a 'hot' zone and they are not. I think it would be irresponsible of us to visit my dad who is high-risk and we haven't seen them in person since October (they are snowbirds who went back home directly from FL in March without even stopping to say hi even though we are on the way). It sucks but this is the responsible thing to do.

While I agree that the earlier spring break played a roll, the reason that Quebec and Ontario’s outbreak was so bad was their criminally horrific Long Term Home conditions.

While I agree that the earlier spring break played a roll, the reason that Quebec and Ontario’s outbreak was so bad was their criminally horrific Long Term Home conditions.

Early Spring break is HOW it started. And then the spread and bad numbers are, I agree, mostly due to how the long term homes were managed. But if the border had closed earlier and if quarantine had been mandatory, we might have avoided some homes to be so badly hit (probably not all but we know that the first ones were infected from travellers coming back from USA and Europe and visiting their family members). Maybe not, but if it doesn't get in, it cannot spread.

Early Spring break is HOW it started. And then the spread and bad numbers are, I agree, mostly due to how the long term homes were managed. But if the border had closed earlier and if quarantine had been mandatory, we might have avoided some homes to be so badly hit (probably not all but we know that the first ones were infected from travellers coming back from USA and Europe and visiting their family members). Maybe not, but if it doesn't get in, it cannot spread.

I love how this has made everyone an epidemiologist - just a link showing it was likely spreading back in August, which makes the spread far wider then previously thought. Add that with the large number of asymptomatic cases and the majority of people who do get sick presenting mild cases and you get where we are now.

Would have closing the borders earlier slowed the spread - maybe? I doubt anyone will ever really know, and if they do they won't be posting about it here. Like everything in life it's just best guesses and hindsight in the end.

I do keep watching the WestJet website though. I feel they had a warning about the border last time because they cancelled all their flights basically until June 21 or so.
So far, all flights showing from here to Orlando For July every day, but if they all of a sudden cancel all those then it will be a bit of a heads up about the border I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter