• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When to book flights (southwest)?

I booked a flight to Orlando on Southwest from CA less than a week in advance back in December (had to attend a funeral). The price was ridiculously low.

Since you are booking with points, just book on opening day. Watch the flights and if the points required goes down, rebook and get the points credited.

I had the exact opposite experience when my FIL became ill and had to fly to Houston booking less than a week in advance. 2 other airlines were cheaper than Southwest.

I had the exact opposite experience when my FIL became ill and had to fly to Houston booking less than a week in advance. 2 other airlines were cheaper than Southwest.

Every other airline wanted $600+. My sisters and I all flew from various parts of CA. Me from Orange County, one sister from LAX and one from San Francisco. My sisters got amazing prices on Jet Blue and Virgin America. I hit the jackpot with Southwest. Not sure why they were so much cheaper but they were. I paid under $300.

The credit needs to be used for to complete a flight no more than 12 months from the original date of purchase. So if the OP were to buy a fare on 2/8/18 (when Southwest is slated to open their schedule for August & Sept. travel), and then found a lower fare, the credit would still only be valid until Feb. 8, 2019 and only for the person for whom the credit had been issued. That leaves a very small window of time to use the credit.

Is this also true when booking with points? I think I will have enough points to pay for a flight on my next trip.

I flew frontier last year and the prices never went down on our flights,they just kept going up.I booked frontier again this year and the prices for the same non stop flights have gone from 775 dollars for the 3 of us to 2600.00 right now.I have no idea why it's gone so high? it only appears to be this particular set of flights that are non stop.

Is this also true when booking with points? I think I will have enough points to pay for a flight on my next trip.

No, that is the beauty of booking with points. If prices go down, just modify your reservation to the flight with lower points. The unneeded points just go back into your account, no expiration date!

No, that is the beauty of booking with points. If prices go down, just modify your reservation to the flight with lower points. The unneeded points just go back into your account, no expiration date!
Explain to me like I’m 5! So if I book and pay with points and the price goes down, do I rebook online and then cancel my original flight? Or do I call CS?

Explain to me like I’m 5! So if I book and pay with points and the price goes down, do I rebook online and then cancel my original flight? Or do I call CS?

Neither! You use the change flight button on the website. You select the flight you want to change. You then just pick the same flight again. It will then give you the new price. If you have purchased early bird check in, it will still be in effect.

Thank you! That's really good to know.

I booked an April trip w/ SW BDL to MCO- I believe the flights opened up at the end of August - I debated on whether or not to book as soon as they opened, but i did. Actually as i was booking and entering the info for the 7 passengers the price went up and i had to start over. I am glad that i booked when i did because our 7 tickets have gone from $3200 to well over $5000. I keep check but our WGA flights are sold out and have been for quite some and now the rest of our direct flight is sold out. I'll be curious to see what happens 45 days out if they get cheaper or if any seats open up for our flight.

I don't have any experience booking with points, but based on what I know, there is absolutely no down-side to you booking when the flights are released and getting a subsequent credit if the points/fares drop. SWA makes it so easy to do this!

As far as fares go, I've seen just about everything! Sometimes the best fares are available when the schedule opens and sometimes the opening fares are high. Since I pay cash, I watch the fares for a few weeks or months prior to my "opening day" to determine what a good fare is. If I see a fare that is close to that price when the schedule opens, I book. If not, I wait. I always book my departing and returning flights separately so I can change the flights easier if fares go down.

Most recently, I did not book on opening day because it was too close to the holidays and I didn't want to pay for the tickets yet. Much to my dismay, I watched the fares climb (double in price) over the next several weeks. Then magically, on a Saturday morning, the fares dropped lower than I'd ever seen them... and I pounced! So you never really know when the best fares will come out... you just have to keep watching... and get lucky!

Thank you for this info! I haven't booked SW for personal use in a LONG while (we've traveled with my in-laws, who prefer USAir). I'm waiting for the fares to come out too - we're hoping to go August 19-26. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out a budget for our trip - it's annoying not knowing how much the flights are going to cost! (We have a family of 5 - it could be bad!)

I don't have any experience booking with points, but based on what I know, there is absolutely no down-side to you booking when the flights are released and getting a subsequent credit if the points/fares drop. SWA makes it so easy to do this!

As far as fares go, I've seen just about everything! Sometimes the best fares are available when the schedule opens and sometimes the opening fares are high. Since I pay cash, I watch the fares for a few weeks or months prior to my "opening day" to determine what a good fare is. If I see a fare that is close to that price when the schedule opens, I book. If not, I wait. I always book my departing and returning flights separately so I can change the flights easier if fares go down.

Most recently, I did not book on opening day because it was too close to the holidays and I didn't want to pay for the tickets yet. Much to my dismay, I watched the fares climb (double in price) over the next several weeks. Then magically, on a Saturday morning, the fares dropped lower than I'd ever seen them... and I pounced! So you never really know when the best fares will come out... you just have to keep watching... and get lucky!

This is my experience also. Know a good price for your route & buy when you see it, no matter when it is.

FYI - SW changed the date from February 8th to February 15th. I've been waiting also to book our flights for this August.

"We are currently accepting air reservations through August 6, 2018. On February 15, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through September 28, 2018. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently."

FYI - SW changed the date from February 8th to February 15th. I've been waiting also to book our flights for this August.

"We are currently accepting air reservations through August 6, 2018. On February 15, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through September 28, 2018. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently."

Thanks for posting. I'm looking for September. I have off work on the 8th so I was glad that was the date. Unfortunately I have to work the 15th. Have to hope I can sneak in a few minutes to book.

How often do they open the schedule? We need flights for September 29th. Go figure.

So, when the previous posters were saying that the flights go up around 6 or 7 in the morning, what time zone is that in? Just wondering when I'll need to set my clock next week... ;)

I am waiting for next week's release date too since I need to book seven tickets for August 11 and again for August 19.
Either from EWR or LGA to FLL.
I understand about booking each way separately but do you think it is best I also book each person separately?
Thank you.

It's been changed again...

"We are currently accepting air reservations through August 6, 2018. On February 15, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through October 1, 2018. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently."

We fly from Grand Rapids. I've found that one-way fares are usually bottomed out around $100 and those are typically seen mid-week and not during our preferred travel month (October). Friday-Sunday fares typically run in the $150-$175 range but can peak well over $200. If I find a flight that works with our schedule and is under $150, I will jump on it because it will probably not go any lower. If it is between $175-$200, I will wait and hope it goes down, and HOPE it doesn't go up. We do see one-way fares that go up over $300 at times, and yes, that is the WGA fare.

So glad I found this thread! Hope someone can help me out. We are looking to book August 19th -25th. Just got the SW Plus and Premier cards and have spent enough to get our 100,000 bonus points. The problem is that we won't get them until late February/ Early March. Right now we have no points. Do WTGA tickets really sell out that fast everywhere or is it based on the airports?

Also: If I buy the tickets with cash the day they are posted would I be able to rebook and use points instead retroactively somehow?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter