When to book flights (southwest)?

goodeats

DIS Veteran
We have a planned trip Aug 15 - Aug 23rd. Dates are semi-flexible but only if rooms are available at our discounted rate.

On Feb 8 SW will open up their calendar to include these dates. We prefer SW because we have ~82K rewards points to use towards flights. Do I need to get up extra early on Feb 8 or is better to watch until they have a "sale"?

We have a planned trip Aug 15 - Aug 23rd. Dates are semi-flexible but only if rooms are available at our discounted rate.

On Feb 8 SW will open up their calendar to include these dates. We prefer SW because we have ~82K rewards points to use towards flights. Do I need to get up extra early on Feb 8 or is better to watch until they have a "sale"?
Last year, I booked our flights on the day they came out. The WTGA fares sold out almost immediately but over time, more were added. However, the price never came down from what it was on that first day. I attribute this to my flights being on Saturdays. Had they been during the week, I may have been able to get a lower fare but I was pretty much locked into Saturday -> Saturday.

Since you are paying with RR points, my advice would be to book when booking opens. Modify your reservation if prices come down.

When my flights were released I was extremely frustrated because the 2 non stop flights I was looking at sold out quickly (the whole flight, not just WGA fares). But, I stalked the SW site almost daily and eventually those flights came back available. And even from release day until now, the point cost dropped. So, though my experience may be rare, I would try in release day to get your flights, but if they aren't available, check daily!

In my experience, flights are cheapest on Southwest about 45 days out. However, there is no penalty to booking with points so I agree with PP to book sooner rather than later and watch for price drops. You can then modify your reservation and the points will be credited back to you.

I booked a flight to Orlando on Southwest from CA less than a week in advance back in December (had to attend a funeral). The price was ridiculously low.

Since you are booking with points, just book on opening day. Watch the flights and if the points required goes down, rebook and get the points credited.

Since you are paying with RR points, my advice would be to book when booking opens. Modify your reservation if prices come down.

THIS!!! Esp. with points, which go right back into your rewards bank, there is no reason not to buy SW fares as soon as they release flights. Thanks to advice on this board, I checked my previously booked SW flights and saved some $$$ this week. Because the flights were booked with cash, and were nonrefundable, I don't actually get any $$$ back at the moment, but that money will be available to spend on the next SW trip I book (provided I fly before the travel cash expires). Its my understanding that you don't even have the expiration issue if you paid in points.

Ok, I will try first day! If you cancel and get the refund is there a delay to when the points go back in your account?

Ok, I will try first day! If you cancel and get the refund is there a delay to when the points go back in your account?
You don't cancel. You modify the reservation even if it is for the same flight. The surplus of points are returned to the RR account that they came from immediately upon confirming the modified reservation.

You don't cancel. You modify the reservation even if it is for the same flight. The surplus of points are returned to the RR account that they came from immediately upon confirming the modified reservation.

That makes sense! I didn't realize it was so flexible.

I love southwest for booking flights with points.

I would book the flights for leaving and coming home separately, I find it easier to monitor if there is a reduction in points for either part of the trip.

Thanks for the reminder...I should probably check our tickets for an upcoming trip!

I love southwest for booking flights with points.

I would book the flights for leaving and coming home separately, I find it easier to monitor if there is a reduction in points for either part of the trip.

Thanks for the reminder...I should probably check our tickets for an upcoming trip!

Good advice. I always book my SW flights as two separate one way flights for the same reason.

Even if paying for the flight, you can get a credit for the fare difference, but it has to be used within 12 months. My experience has been it is best to book as early as possible.

FYI - The flight schedule website changed the date. It now says that the calendar will open up on February 15th.

Even if paying for the flight, you can get a credit for the fare difference, but it has to be used within 12 months. My experience has been it is best to book as early as possible.
The credit needs to be used for to complete a flight no more than 12 months from the original date of purchase. So if the OP were to buy a fare on 2/8/18 (when Southwest is slated to open their schedule for August & Sept. travel), and then found a lower fare, the credit would still only be valid until Feb. 8, 2019 and only for the person for whom the credit had been issued. That leaves a very small window of time to use the credit.

Southwest is just like Alaska. I always book on the first day and then rebook if the price goes down and they give me a credit.

Do they open the flights early in the morning ? I also need to book for the end of August and want to book with points. I usually always book my August flights in January and this wait is killing me!

Do they open the flights early in the morning ? I also need to book for the end of August and want to book with points. I usually always book my August flights in January and this wait is killing me!
The last set of flights I booked have an email confirmation sent at 8:18am, and I am usually online stalking the site for the moment they open. But there is no set time, so it could be earlier or later depending on the day.
ETA - I looked back to 2016 and those emails came at 7:32. And I remember I was "late" booking that day because we were driving home from a sleep study when they were released.

Last edited:

They release at 6 or 7 am. I know in 2015 it was 6 am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter