When to go to Disney??

tonysgal34

Mouseketeer
We are starting to really wrestle with when to make this trip. We had originally thought that we would pull the kids out of school and go in November. Now, hubby is mentioning that he wants it to be hot enough to enjoy the water rides/pools, etc. Here's the question......if we go at the end of August instead (since this is considered "value" season and we can still get good room rates)will it be sweltering hot? Also, isn't it still quite busy that time of year and is there any chance of getting on the rides?? Has anyone done it at this time of year and how successful were you?? It will be myself, my husband, and our two children, 12 and 10. Thanks...........

I haven't been in August but I'm quite sure it is VERY hot! That heat can just wear you out. I'm planning to go in Nov or Dec (maybe even in Jan) and pull my son out of school but I'd also like to be able to go swimming. I'm think that early November might be the best shot we'd have for the pools. I have been in early January and the weather has been beautiful and warm and also cool and rainy. Besides being value season the BEST thing about going in Nov/Dec/Jan (not around the holidays) is that the crowds are so light and you can just walk right onto rides. I think I'd rather be able to do that than go swimming. Tough choice isn't it! I think October would be the ideal time but the rates aren't as low. Maybe a code will come out that will take the prices down some.

I'll add that I've been early May and that was a great time - crowds were manageable and the weather was warm but not sweltering.

Enjoy!
Carol

I've never been in August, but have heard it's VERY hot. Also, isn't that still rainy season?

We have been there the 2nd week in Nov. & it was nice for most of the week & we were able to swim with the exception of about 2 days out of the week - but those were great park days. It was mid 70's. We did get a downpour the day we were leaving.

If you are concerned about being too hot then I wouldn't pick August. I love the warm weather, but if it's too hot it just isn't enjoyable to me or anyone in my family.

Also, as the above poster said, Nov. crowds were minimal. We were there once end of April/beginning of May. Hot, average crowds, no rain. Great for pools & water parks.

I think any time you will go you will have fun. The reason we never choose August is because we live in the Northeast & we like to enjoy any warm weather we get here when we can - we like to go to Florida when it's cold here!!! :)

October is a great time to go. THe Food and Wine festival is in Epcot and the MNSSHP goes on through out the month. The weather can be very hot or just perfect. I've been in the beginning of Oct & the end and it was great. Sept is great too, very quiet.....well, relatively speaking.

We go in August and yes it is hot, but it is hot at home also. I rather be hot at WDW than at home. The crowds during value season in august are quite managable. The later in august you go the less people you will encounter.

Your post doesn't mention where you live. From what I gather on these boards, swimming is year-round in Florida if you are from the north! We southerners consider it too cool in winter, but many people DO swim at that time. I know some of the pools are heated. I don't think all the water parks are...(?)

Well, I am in New York State and relatively speaking, we go swimming in the heated pool at our local park every day all summer and that's it. When I am told that it's only mid-70's in early November, I have to think, "is this going to be warm enough to swim in the outdoor pool?" Probably, since it's heated.......but I don't know if it's going to be warm enough to go on the water rides and walk around the park with wet clothes on for hours. These are the things we are considering, but I still want to go in Nov and avoid the heat and hopefully the crowds.

I'm from Pittsburgh, but lived in Orlando during college days -- for us Northerners, I found August to be almost unbearably hot and humid. When I first stepped off the plane it was like walking into a brick wall. Maybe you have a better heat tolerance than I, but I would never go then -- though obviously many others do. I think a much better choice would be October, or April-May -- still hot compared to our weather, but not too hot or humid. After the type of long winter we have, 80+ degrees in April will feel pretty good. And when our temps are getting chilly in October, again 80+ will feel pretty good. IMO:cool:

August is sweltering hot, as is September. It's also extremely humid and rains frequently. It doesn't cool off right away in the fall down there like it does up north, September still feels very much like summer. Even the first part of October can be very warm.

September is really one of the best months though if you want low crowds and value season prices. The very end of August is usually pretty good too, because most kids are already back in school by then. October for some reason tends to be slightly busier and the pricing is higher, since it's considered regular season. The first of November offers low crowds and value season pricing as well, but you take a chance with the weather. We went the first week of November once and the first 3 days were really warm, certainly warm enough to go swimming and do the water parks, but the last few days were cooler. Still very pleasant and enjoyable, but not warm enough to get ME in the pool (the kids will go in the pool anywhere, anytime!)

One thing you can be sure of, you'll have a GREAT time no matter when you go, have fun!

I took my DD, GS and GD to Disney last summer during the last week of August.

YES it was hot, but not unbearable and it rained almost every evening.

But we got up early hit the parks when they opened, took an early afternoon break, then went back to the parks. My only complaint was that MK closed at 6PM during the week.

However, we are going back again this summer during the last week of August.

Oh, and the crowds weren't bad except on Saturday at MK.

Remember the water is heated...
We went Thanksgiving week (left the Saturday before and came home Thanksgiving night) and only had to miss school for the Monday and Tuesday. The crowds were great - never waited more than 15 minutes max in lines.

Now, I am from upstate New York, so keep that in mind, but I thought the weather was great. Highs in the low 70s, lows in the 40s (Everyone was going crazy with these "low" temps. The weathercaster on the TV stated that he needed a coat and did not own one!) We went in the pool every day. In fact on our last day, my son and I were in the pool at 8 in the morning. Everyone was walking to go to the parks and were looking at us like we were crazy (I think it was only 55 degrees), but hey, the water temp was a toasty 78 degrees!

I have gone the 2ns and 3rd week in August and I find the heat unbearable as well as the crowds. And don't forget the 3pm thunderstorm every day as well.

So, long story short, my vote is to keep it in November.

I think October is swell. Nice weather, minimal crowds. Kids are back in school. I don't think this is 'peak' time. You can also partake in some of the halloween activities. Loved it in Oct.

tonysgal34 - that is between Aug. & Nov, so perhaps a great compromise LOL!!!

Going again time 4/26 - 5/3 - I'll let you know how this is when we return.

I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and I would NEVER go to Disney in August - we have the same temp and humidity here as they do, and for me, it's from the A/C'd house to the A/C'd car to the A/C'd office. It's not the heat so much, it's the humidity. And August is right in the middle of hurricane season (June 1st thru November 1st). If I could get off work, I'd go in October (but I have to take vacation mid-December, so that's when I'll be in disney.

We are from FL and believe me, NOBODY is a bigger baby about the heat than me!

Last year we went at the end of august and it wasn't as hot as when we went in May. I would suggest this as a great time to go. However, we weren't in the parks all day. We stayed at AKL and got to the parks early, headed back for swimming after lunch . We the went to the parks in the evening. The crowds were not bad at all and hardly had any waits (this was Labor Day Weekend). The schools in the south usually get back to school in mid-late August , so the summer crowds should die down by the end of august.

Do EE, use fast pass as the day goes on, take a pool break and come back at night.Bring water and squeeze breeze. We didn't even use our this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter