Where do you want to retire? Migrate to?

We're retired and currently happy staying in Southeast PA. We live in our home town, an area my grandfather helped develop in the 1930/40's. We lived slim to stay here when we were young as it's not inexpensive. Heck, the prices around here are the same as WDW. LOL

Every now and then I search places in Florida because DH is always freezing. He loves the Florida summer where he says he's finally warm. We're been to a lot of the US and Europe which for us, 'it's a nice place to visit ...". Unfortunately for DH Florida falls in that same designation for me. :)

We retired last year. Staying right where I have been for the last 64 years, and the last 54 years for my wife.
Doesn't mean once the pandemic settles down that we won't travel, but we need a home base.
We have friends who have moved elsewhere, and had to deal with finding new friends, Doctor's, Dentists, and they have struggled with that.
In 2021 Two friends sold their homes and bought expensive 5th wheel RV's and no longer have a home base. On just started, no issues so far. Other is staying in South Dakota until the husband's health issues get resolved.
Third friend bought what they advertise as an "Adventure Van", a Class B RV. They have a house on the Southern California coast, and now have one in West Virginia. Every 6 weeks they make the 2,500 mile drive from one to the other.

I don't know exactly where yet, it really depends on where my kids end up. Unfortunately it is getting too expensive to live around here so they will most likely leave the area, but may stay in the same state. If that happens it will be great for us, we have property up north that we camp on and my plan is to do that late spring through fall, and live somewhere where I don't have to deal with snow in the winter months.

We have always wanted to move from our currant state for a variety of reasons. Mostly cold winters and very high taxes.

we have finally made the decision to move to Florida and are currently building a new home there. If all goes well and there aren’t any delays, we will be in by mid September.
Very excited that we will be just under an hour away from Disney but will miss our family and friends that can’t leave yet.

We are in New England and love it here. Depending on where our kids wind up things could change. At this point, we are planning to snowbird in either Hilton Head (our favorite) or Florida for a few months in the Winter.

I already can live almost anywhere with my remote work, so I don't really see living anywhere as a retirement goal, if I want to live there I'll just pickup and move.

Only real change would be more options once I don't care about the local pk-12 school systems.

No desire to move away from lifelong friends and my family.
Will be a snowbird in the winter and enjoy our cottage in the summer probably.
:confused3 It's never made any sense to me. Everybody and everything I care about is right here. Having to start over in a completely new place without the commonality of jobs and/or kids, which make finding community more natural, seems more like a punishment than a reward.

:confused3 It's never made any sense to me. Everybody and everything I care about is right here. Having to start over in a completely new place without the commonality of jobs and/or kids, which make finding community more natural, seems more like a punishment than a reward.

Not everyone lives in an area where they have a lot of family and friends around them.

I am not sure.

I think I like the idea of Oahu but I am not sure I would ultimately like the isolation plus my savings would not go nearly as far in retirement.

I also think I like the idea of living in the mountains or near a beach. The mountains again run into potential isolation issues I may or may not enjoy. The beach runs into the same stretching my savings issues.

Ultimately our retirement location will be most influenced by where my kids end up living.

We are retired,and it is so true that where you live is influenced by where the kids/grandkids are, LOL. We are staying in N. Mn. because our kids and grandkids are here and we would not want to be away from them:)
They are the only reasons we stay here and put up with the long winters. It would be so much nicer to live in a warmer climate, but we would miss the kids too much.
Our answer? We stay put in the beautiful summers, and travel to various warm parts of the country in the fall/winter/spring. Works for us:)

Anyplace warmer, but I do love the eastern Tennessee/Carolina region. I've lived in the snowbelt my entire life and I'm over it.
Same here, but problem is, where can you go to escape the 4 months of winter hibernation that you don't have to hibernate 4 months in the summer?

We had a conference call going with our plant in Tennessee. It was May. Asked what their temperature was. 105°. I can't imagine what that plant is like in the summer working. It's 115° here in western PA in the summer with mostly 80° days.

I only need my immediate family unit, For everyone else there are phones/internet,planes,trains and cars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter