Where would be the best place for a 3rd location in the United States?

KCmike

Never have fallen asleep on any
If Disney did something crazy like open a 3rd location in the United States where would it draw the best from?

Kansas City?
Texas?
Chicago?
Hawaii?

Texas - in the Northern part of the state.

1/2 way between CA & FL

Still sunny and warm - little rain and no snow

Kansas City, because it's closest to me.

BTW, has there ever been any talk to open a third. I'm guessing not but I thought I'd ask.

I agree -- Texas. Nice weather, friendly local people to hire as CMs, and parts of TX have a mild climate year-round.

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

MICHIGAN!

Lord knows we could use the jobs and boost to the economy.

And the buses wouldn't have far to travel - they're made right here in the Motor City :)

(okay, I know - it's too cold but I can dream)

Texas. Right here around San Antonio. We already have two theme parks (Six Flags and Sea World), we have plenty of land all around us(that is a bargain relatively speaking), a mild climate (summer's are hot, but not as humid as FL and we don't get as much rain), and lots of people here in the area to be CMs. Oh, and San Antonio has the #1 tourist destination in the state, the Alamo. Lots of people already come to San Antonio for vacation, they can't be wrong! ;)

As much as I'd like to say Chicago, because it'd be super close to me in Wisconsin, I'd probably go with Texas.
mostly because of the weather factor. If it were in Chicago or Kansas City it would only be able to be open seasonally.

I would also vote for Texas, San Antonio. It's a major tourist draw already, lots of land. Plus not as many hurricanes make it all the way to San Antonio and it doesn't see the snow and ice that the northern part of the state can get! There are two large cities in the state Dallas, Houston, to help support locals visiting the parks. Plus Texas is central, between Florida and California.

Kansas City, because it's closest to me.

BTW, has there ever been any talk to open a third. I'm guessing not but I thought I'd ask.

There was a plan a while ago to open one in VA, outside DC. (My neck of the woods)

But it got killed for a number of reasons, one argument being that the Civil War historic battlefields in the area would have gotten trampled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_America

I'd say Texas too. But not San Antonio. I would think Disney wouldn't want to pick a place with 2 theme parks already, IMO. I heard something about it being built in Prosper, TX, which sounds like a good idea.

How about, instead of more in the states, say... Canada! Under a giant glass bubble! XD Hey, a girl can dream.

There was a plan a while ago to open one in VA, outside DC. (My neck of the woods)

But it got killed for a number of reasons, one argument being that the Civil War historic battlefields in the area would have gotten trampled.

I can go along with scrapping the project based on the fact it would have trappled battle growns....its a stretch but I can go with it...

BUT

To scrap it because people thought it was gonna skew history and the way people learned history...COME ON PEOPLE GET A GRIP....its a theme park for gosh sakes...I dont go to Epcot thinking I will come out being a astronaught or deep sea diver...maybe a test dummy but thats about it...some people are crazy....:confused3

Yeah, that was too bad. While NoVa isn't year-round resort weather, I'm sure Disney could have imagineered a resort that wasn't hindered by that. And of all companies, they would have respected whatever needed respecting. Now those same tracts will be covered with Applebys.

At that time I was relatively new in the work force and there's a good chance I would have applied to work there. I love my current job and am rewarded handsomely - but it's no Disney :)

I actually think the only answer to this question is something VERY close to Disneyland. My reasoning: DisneyWorld draws from all over the US, except maybe a little less in the the SouthWest, which feeds DisneyLand. DL is, of course, out of significant expansion room. And it is all about getting more $ from each guest from each visit, which means getting them to commit to more days.

So imagine a large park(s) about 50 miles from DisneyLand, and a tract for hotels between the two sites (25 miles from each). Disney could begin to sell 4, 6 10 day packages to DisneyLand, and while not owning all the property between the parks, could do a reasonable job of keeping them on Disney soil, spending money.

So my vote is 40 or 50 miles from Anaheim.

They should buy Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and finally build Disney America. The property is already zoned for a theme park, and where better to build Disney America than where it all began?

They should buy Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and finally build Disney America. The property is already zoned for a theme park, and where better to build Disney America than where it all began?
That's a really sensible idea.
- That's the only other park, IMHO, that comes close to Disney standards
- surrounding land is cheap, plentiful and likely available
- The Williamsburg historical area is VERY well done, has a Disney kind of style and would make a good fit to entertain Disney guests
- There are other related opportunities, such as Great Wolf Lodge, which I'm pretty sure could be bought right now for a very attractive price.
- It is much closer to a navigable ship port (Norfolk) than any other Disney property, making Cruise/Park combos quite easy. Aren't 2 new Disney ships coming soon?
- Lastly, With InBev's purchase of Anheiser-Busch, I thought I heard the AB parks might be for sale. Of course, everything is for sale for the right price, but in this economy, the advantage is to the buyer.

I can go along with scrapping the project based on the fact it would have trappled battle growns....its a stretch but I can go with it...

BUT

To scrap it because people thought it was gonna skew history and the way people learned history...COME ON PEOPLE GET A GRIP....its a theme park for gosh sakes...I dont go to Epcot thinking I will come out being a astronaught or deep sea diver...maybe a test dummy but thats about it...some people are crazy....:confused3

They already do it. I think that'd be the bigger worry than trampling the battle grounds which is avoidable. Ever been to the Hall of Presidents? Anyone that's taken a history course probably cringes at that. If you have a degree in it its either appalling, infuriating or sad.

Disney really cant build somewhere its not hot year round. The poor weather really affects crowds at WDW, if you compare their attendance at various points with Anaheims its clear that a more solid climate would make the more money. Texas is probably the best bet, but I think a lot of people that visit florida do it for WDW and the easy access to some amazing beaches.

They already do it. I think that'd be the bigger worry than trampling the battle grounds which is avoidable. Ever been to the Hall of Presidents? Anyone that's taken a history course probably cringes at that. If you have a degree in it its either appalling, infuriating or sad.
Every history will be skewed in some way - it is impossible to translate or summarize something without introducing some kind of bias.

I think Dolphin Dan's point is that the bias would be coming from a theme park, where expections should be low on things like a comprehensive and unbiased presentation of history. Dan seems to be agreeing that the presentation would be biased and is putting the onus on people to not take it so seriously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter