Where would you live if money was no object?

Well the post did say that money was no object and since everyone has their price I would expect opposition would melt away when my offers exceed $1B.

There's talk about possibly closing San Quentin State Prison and selling the land to developers. Not sure if it would include the attached community.

There's been opposition because this is one of the few state prisons near heavily populated areas (there's also Folsom and California State Prison, Sacramento) and often a choice for people whose families are nearby. Other than that, it's decidedly old school and a pretty nasty place to be compared to many of the newer prisons.

There's talk about possibly closing San Quentin State Prison and selling the land to developers. Not sure if it would include the attached community.

There's been opposition because this is one of the few state prisons near heavily populated areas (there's also Folsom and California State Prison, Sacramento) and often a choice for people whose families are nearby. Other than that, it's decidedly old school and a pretty nasty place to be compared to many of the newer prisons.
I doubt if there are many Marin county residents housed at San Quentin. Probably most of them are from Alameda County.

I doubt if there are many Marin county residents housed at San Quentin. Probably most of them are from Alameda County.

But it's in the Bay Area, as opposed to some of the really remote prisons like the ones near Crescent City and Susanville. There are even complaints about going to Central Valley prisons.

Well you would have to hire people to farm it for you. Most of the people who own the land now days have no clue how to farm.
Depends on how much you were farming. We have some farm equipment including an almost brand new tractor. If I had my own village I wouldn't need to hire help. 😉

Depends on how much you were farming. We have some farm equipment including an almost brand new tractor. If I had my own village I wouldn't need to hire help. 😉
Don't most of the landowners live in some place like Naples enjoying sun on the beach every day? They contract out the actual farming to some conglomerate. Farming is too risky unless you can hedge your bets the commodities market.

But it's in the Bay Area, as opposed to some of the really remote prisons like the ones near Crescent City and Susanville. There are even complaints about going to Central Valley prisons.
If I had to go to Delano or McFarland, or Wasco, or Coalinga, or Corcoran to see a loved one, I'd complain too. That's even if they weren't in prison.

If I had to go to Delano or McFarland, or Wasco, or Coalinga, or Corcoran to see a loved one, I'd complain too. That's even if they weren't in prison.

San Quentin is in a really nice area. The two prisons near Folsom are near some fairly pricey neighborhoods too. I think Folsom (whose biggest employer is Intel) more or less developed around the prisons despite the connotations. Dublin, California has Alameda County’s main jail and a federal (mostly women’s) prison.

But I guess all those prisons in the Central Valley (and elsewhere) were built where land was cheap and they hoped that it would boost the local economies. But they’re worried now that there’s less prison population and some are closing. Susanville is looking at the closure of one prison and they’re worried that it will devastate the local economy.

I'd split my time between a grand villa at the Contemporary Resort Bay Lake Towers at WDW and the DVC grand villa at the Grand Californian Hotel at Disneyland. And probably live the other 1/3 of the year at Aulani.

There are a lot of awesome things about living in a hotel full time, but we've learned there are a lot of unwelcome things too, mainly being at the mercy of whomever is checked in next to you. We also always seem to have issues with the fridge and the A/C.

I love spending the summer in Europe and the winter in South America/Hawaii. Mexico has swim up hotel rooms - which are awesome - but the food is not my thing so I prefer Maui.

I would definitely stop in Chios, Greece for their mastiha liqueur and I love the midye dolma in Çeşme,Turkey. The oya and handcraft in Turkey is just so so beautiful. The food in Jamaica was also my favorite hands down of anywhere we've traveled - ackee and saltfish, soooo good.

On our bucket list is to visit Tahiti (if only you didn't have to fly into Papeete first), Japan, Thailand, Egypt, and Morocco. And on our 'it's coming up but I haven't booked the tickets yet' list is more Greece (Santorini and Athens) and France. The DH has been to France, but I haven't so I may just take a solo trip one of these days.

I really would not want to live in any of the places on the list really. Visit yea, live there, no way.

I am pretty happy as a midwesterner, but I really think I would love living somewhere like Sonoma California (never been but I am just assuming it would be a good fit for me).
Sonoma is quite pretty if you mean the surrounding areas with the grape fields, clean air (for CA). Far enough away from the bigger cities but close enough if you want to go to the city (if that makes sense). I think it's like 70 minutes to sacramento

There's talk about possibly closing San Quentin State Prison and selling the land to developers. Not sure if it would include theo
I'm guessing you meant Vacaville as there is technically no prison in Sacramento (but Folsom is darn close). Sorry, I think I hit the quote button twice and can't get rid of the first quote. Anyway, I'd love to have a large cabin on the shore at South Lake Tahoe. During the winter, I wouldn't mind having a home near WDW

I'm lucky enough that money IS no object (well, mostly), and I'm happy where I live right now. I've done the big house thing. We've recently downsized to a very nice condo. No upkeep headaches. We've done the second lake house thing; it was great, but now we've unloaded it. No upkeep headaches. Now if we want to "live" somewhere else, we'll go and stay a month. No upkeep headaches.

So many people have said they wouldn't live in California that it makes me curious - what are the problems about living in California that having unlimited funds wouldn't ameliorate?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter