• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Car Size

mikeje99

Earning My Ears
Hello

Can anyone recommend what car size we should go for. We are 2 adults and 2 children. We only need to take our luggage from the airport to our accommodation so I assume we shouldn't need a big car day to day.

Also how much should we expect to pay for 2 weeks and who would you recommend booking through.

Does anyone now when the 2003 Brit Guid is coming out.

Cheers

Mike :bounce:

Hi Mike.
It's likely that your trip back to the airport is going to be the one where luggage is more of an issue, assuming you'll be doing some shopping.
I've been able to get away with the smallest 4 door if you don't take masses of luggage and don't take too many hard suitcases. YOu should be able to get two regular sized suitcases in the boot(trunk) of that class of car. If you make use of soft sportsbag type carriers for the rest of your luggage ( the other benefit of these is that you can flat pack them empty on the way out ). With soft flexible bags it's easy to pack them around the kids in the back and on the floor of the car.

I recently got a brochure from holiday autos and they were doing some "specials" for the USA. I've found them to be consistantly among the best car hire consolidators .http://www.holidayautos.co.uk The other company I always check with is Autos abroad http://www.autosabroad.co.uk

Last time we had a car in the US we had an 'intermediate' size. It was actually a Plymouth Breeze, 4 door. It was a bit of a squeeze getting all our stuff in the boot (we were 2 adults and 2 kids too) - especially as we had to buy another bag for the return trip to take all the extras we had purchased :rolleyes:

I would say the Plymouth Breeze is Mondeo size, slightly bigger than a Neon.

We always get the smallest 4 door size and usually end up with something reasonable. (a Neon one time, and a Kia something last time - similiar size)
We do like Vernon and just pack the bags around Katie (make her sit crosslegged) for the short trip from the airport.

I've had good prices from www.choiceair.co.uk

Bev

Unless you're going to be travelling very light, I think you'd struggle with the smallest class of car. The last couple of trips we've tried not to take too much on the way out - 3 smallish cases for 2 adults and 2 teens, but we stay in villa accommodation with washing facilities and wash every day.

Having to buy extra cases/bags for the homeward journey sounds a bit tongue-in-cheek, but we've had to do it on each of our 6 trips! We've done what Vernon suggests a couple of times and taken soft holdalls flat-packed in suitcases. Whilst I totally agree with what he and Bev have said about squashing things in, I'd rather not have the worry, so we get a bigger car.

We normally book directly with Dollar, but we've booked through www.sunchase.co.uk this time at a considerable discount. www.floridacarhire.com also offer rates cheaper than Dollar, but not quite as good as Sunchase.

Which airport are you flying into? Not all the car hire companies have depots at the airport. Some involve a bus ride, which I find intolerable, but I know it doesn't bother everyone.

The Brit's Guide is normally available late October/early November.

As a general rule of thumb, we get the car to suit the luggage not the people.

We always upgrade to the next size from the car that's allocated as part of a package.

I've seen too many people try and shoe-horn luggage into unsuitable cars.

Hi All....

Just to add my experiance here. In 98 we had an intermediate car (don't remember which)There were four adults and one 9 year old.

We had a bit of a squeeze getting ourselves and our lugage from Sanford airport to Kissimmee, where we had a Villa for two weeks.

As previously mentioned by others, we also found that at the end of the two weeks we had accumulated much more than we had arrived with. Even packing things into soft holdal type bags was not an answer.

We ended up having to do two round trips. Leaving my DW at the airport watching the bags (when we eventually got back to her she was breaking her neck for the loo, as she would not leave the bags with anyone!!) I think the round trip is approx. 80miles?

I wonder if you can rent a roof box!!

Have a great day :cool:

I tend to drive quite a lot when in Florida. Luggage is an issue, especially when I have had golfers in the party.

The Fullsize/Premium/Luxury cars all have boots able to cope with the various cases and golf clubs. We once ended up with a minivan, which was quite useless for the group of five and all our luggage. We ended up swapping it for two intermediates.

The difference between a compact and a fullsize is approximately £50 for a fortnight. A worthy expense in my opinion.

I have booked my car (for September) with www.airline-network.co.uk - the car is supplied by Dollar at a better rate than Dollar quoted!

Hi,
I have an urgent questions regarding the Economy car rental from Dollar. I am a left footed driver due to having an injured right hip and foot.

Could anyone give me an idea if US car pedals are located in the middle or to the right side. I have never used hand controls before but if the worst scenario happens, forget to fit them when I arrive I want an idea of my driving position.

Also do all Economy vehicles have rear seat belts and hatchbacks. I have been told by some operators that some models are not fully fitted with rear seat belts. I have children travelling with me and of course I want them to be safe and secure.

My other concern is what cars have hatch backs and not hard top boots.

Thanks,
Jade

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter