Which day over Christmas is best?

lpoeppelman

DIS Veteran
[EDIT]
Thanks everyone! So... we are staying at the resort on Christmas Day based on your responses... of these dates, what do you recommend for touring HS a.m. and MK p.m. (same day). It would be bummer if MK closed to capacity - but, I know it's a risk, but if you think it's super risky, please let me know your thoughts.

What do you think are the best dates for touring HS a.m. / MK p.m. (same day)?

Dec 24 (my least fav as it's our first FULL day in Florida)
Dec 26
Dec 27
Dec 28
Dec 29
Dec 30 (my least fav as it's our last day in Florida - but still do-able)

TIA! So helpful!

[Original Q]
I LOVE the idea of going to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood on Christmas day. We will be there from Dec 25-31 so we can go any day during that time. We are staying onsite. Thinking of getting a park hopper so we can get to both parks (hopefully!).

Is Christmas day worse than a day or two later... or are they all crazy? I figured they are all pretty crazy - but for those who know, please chime in... what day would you pick between Dec 25-31?

Last edited:
I LOVE the idea of going to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood on Christmas day. We will be there from Dec 25-31 so we can go any day during that time. We are staying onsite. Thinking of getting a park hopper so we can get to both parks (hopefully!).

Is Christmas day worse than a day or two later... or are they all crazy? I figured they are all pretty crazy - but for those who know, please chime in... what day would you pick between Dec 25-31?
the worst and the one that consistently closes due to phased capacity closing is Dec 25th for MK.

Between those two I would choose DHS over MK for Christmas/NYE because of the above histories with closing to capacity. MK is probably a little better on NYE than Christmas, but even that has closed to capacity on that day (not as often as Christmas Day too).

I would pick any day but Dec 25 or Dec 31. However, if you absolutely wanted to do it I would plan to go to MK for rope drop, stay a couple of hours then hop to DHS.

As an aside, AK is going to be the least crowded on either of those days. but Christmas and NYE at MK are doable as long as you're prepared for those large crowds.

They are all busy, but yes MK on the 25th is about as busy as any park gets at any time during the year. We've done it, and I was glad we did. However, manage your expectations, as it's a madhouse.

We did MK and Epcot on Christmas Day last year. MK was ok very early but by mid morning it was busy. MK Main Street was like Main Stream to the Castle. It takes 3-5 times to move around. Even getting to the exit can take large amounts of time. Transportation resources also take longer due to number of people. We left MK to get to Afternoon Tea and it took around 3-4 times of the normal amount of time to get there. There was also a security line within the walkway between MK and the CR resort. The 26th was very different than the 25. The 24th was fine...realizing its the most busy time of year. Some ride lines are so long they have CM managing their line rope crosswalks like in AK Avatar flight ride

Last edited:
We did MK and Epcot on Christmas Day last year. MK was ok very early but by mid morning it was busy. MK Main Street was like Main Stream to the Castle. It takes 3-5 times to move around. Even getting to the exit can take large amounts of time. Transportation resources also take longer due to number of people. We left MK to get to Afternoon Tea and it took around 3-4 times of the normal amount of time to get there. There was also a security line within the walkway between MK and the CR resort. The 26th was very different than the 25. The 24th was fine...realizing its the most busy time of year. Some ride lines are so long they have CM managing their line rope crosswalks like in AK Avatar flight ride
Just an fyi, there's always a security check in the walkway between CR and MK.

MK is insane by the first parade on Christmas Day. We did it once - we camped in the hub for 2 hours for the parade and the castle show and it was a sea of people. The next day was not as bad - BUSY but not as bad. I haven't done the new shows at HS on the day in recent years - we did Osborne Lights one Christmas night and that wasn't too bad. We ate a nice breakfast at the Grand Floridian - saw the parade and show and got out to a different park. Don't plan on rides that day

I have not done DHS or MK on Christmas day (we did EP and it wasn't bad). We did do MK on Dec. 26, however, and, wow, IMHO, it was bad. It was shoulder-to-shoulder by 11 am and we were out by 1:00 pm. We just couldn't take it anymore. We did our 3 FP+ and got out. I would simply suggest, no matter what day you pick for MK, get there at RD and make sure you allow yourself enough time to get to RD. We tried to make MK RD from BWI and it took about twice as long as it normally takes due to the amount of traffic on property during that week.

Christmas Day at MK is insane. We did it last year and to put it bluntly, we are not doing so on our trip this year. It will make a lovely rest day back at the resort.

We are having this debate too about 12/25. Right now we’ve decided on HS in the AM because we have an Oga’s reservation and MK in the evening for dinner ADR and FPs. I can’t imagine what it will be like but we are going to try to make the best of it. Figured having ADRs helps ensure some space away from the madness here and there. We are doing our two ADRs and three FPs and nothing more.

I think you're crazy, but if you really want to do it, then I would get to Magic Kingdom at least an hour before rope drop and leave around noon or whenever it starts to get crazy.
I'd personally bring a sack lunch or plan to eat back at the resort.

Thanks everyone! So... we are staying at the resort on Christmas Day based on your responses... of these dates, what do you recommend for touring HS a.m. and MK p.m. (same day). It would be bummer if MK closed to capacity - but, I know it's a risk, but if you think it's super risky, please let me know your thoughts.

What do you think are the dates for touring HS a.m. / MK p.m. (same day)?

Dec 24 (my least fav as it's our first day in Florida)
Dec 26
Dec 27
Dec 28
Dec 29
Dec 30 (my least fav as it's our last day in Florida - but still do-able)

TIA! So helpful!

You have no worries about the parks choosing to capacity unless you are buying a single day ticket at the gate and not staying on site, have no ADR. It's not reached total closure in over a decade. And that was before fantasy land expanded to give MK more space. I mean it's possible but chance so low it's not measurable

We are going to MK on Christmas day for at least a while. We are going to Disney for Christmas because it's our Christmas. Only seems logical to go to the parks. It opens at 6:00 am so I'm thinking we'll head over then stay till our FP end about noon. I'd reconsider going to mk it that's really what you want to do. As long as you too in to it with proper expectations. Not sure any other day is going to be loads better

Last edited:
Yes, we plan on starting our day at MK for Christmas also, but we actually plan on leaving after our late BOG breakfast. We have done MK all day before for Xmas, and after the 20 minute shuffle past Small World around 11 or noon, we plan on bouncing after we get the 4 hours in pre-crazy crowds! It's almost become tradition to be at MK at some point for Christmas day.

No matter which parks and which days you choose, just know the middle of the day will be crazy busy at any park you choose compared to any other time of the year:) We enjoy it, but we also know to manage expectations.

Even when a park closes due to capacity, it will usually open again within a few hours. Christmas Day and New Year's Eve are the most likely days for a closing.

If it isn't Dec 25th itself, then it truly doesn't matter which of the other days you pick. They'll all be very busy, just not as busy as the 25th. Just pick the one you want.

Even when a park closes due to capacity, it will usually open again within a few hours. Christmas Day and New Year's Eve are the most likely days for a closing.
But again, there is a less than zero chance it will close to on site resort guests. OP will not have to concern themselves about a park closing to them. That's one of the last phase of closure and hasn't been reached by any park in over a decade.

Yes, we plan on starting our day at MK for Christmas also, but we actually plan on leaving after our late BOG breakfast. We have done MK all day before for Xmas, and after the 20 minute shuffle past Small World around 11 or noon, we plan on bouncing after we get the 4 hours in pre-crazy crowds! It's almost become tradition to be at MK at some point for Christmas day.

No matter which parks and which days you choose, just know the middle of the day will be crazy busy at any park you choose compared to any other time of the year:) We enjoy it, but we also know to manage expectations.
Isn't that the WORSE walkway!?! We now avoid walking by it unless we are going to Peter Pan or Small World. We'll walk around first. Even with the traffic control measures they use it's just too tight

Isn't that the WORSE walkway!?! We now avoid walking by it unless we are going to Peter Pan or Small World. We'll walk around first. Even with the traffic control measures they use it's just too tight

Yes, that really is a squeeze point. I'm sure when it was designed all those years ago, they never imagined it would have so much traffic. Kinda like most major highways, huh? :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter