Who else is waiting until WDW is “back to normal”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your info is a little old. Now 60+ can get the vaccine, along with K-12 and college and university employees. The age will soon decrease to 55+ according to Gov. DeSantis.
Then the DOH website is also incorrect. I checked it this morning, and just now before replying, and it still says 65+. I know it was supposed to drop to 60+ this week, but I haven’t seen anything official about the change. Do you have a link to something official? Not doubting you, I would just like to have a more reliable official source than the DOH.

Looking forward to our April trip. We lost 2 trips last year due to Co-Vid and don't feel bad missing them.
We've both had our vaccine, so much less worried about that now.
I realize things will be different than they used to be. But should still be a fun trip.

Then the DOH website is also incorrect. I checked it this morning, and just now before replying, and it still says 65+. I know it was supposed to drop to 60+ this week, but I haven’t seen anything official about the change. Do you have a link to something official? Not doubting you, I would just like to have a more reliable official source than the DOH.
https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/vaccines/

We are "sort of" waiting. We have a trip booked for December this year. We have only put the down payment down, and have bought refundable air fare. We are hoping over the next 9 months a large majority of "normalcy" will return. It doesn't have to be everything, but as long as a good amount is back, that's fine by us. What constitutes a "large majority"? Well, we don't know right now, but we'll know it when we see it :)

One definite is at least voluntary mask wearing. I'm not sure I'd be thrilled with still having to wear a mask 100% of the time by December. We'll see.... 🤞

I am *SO* tempted. SO TEMPTED. My husband agreed every three years. We just went in 2019. But if someone has a crystal ball and guaranteed me all would be back to normal in the park by THIS December, parties and ALL, SORRY HUSBAND BUT WE NEED THIS, we would be going this year. We need the serotonin bump.

We are going and I am so excited for our April trip (usually until I read some posts on these boards)!!! We will do our best with masks- and if my 3 year old can’t handle it we will just leave and hit the pool! I am prepared- bunch of different masks to bring, misting fan, toys, etc but the past 2 trips non-covid taught me that sometimes you can’t control things at Disney!! Sometimes when the kids are done they’re done! I think I can handle masks/less offerings especially in exchange for reasonable wait times. I’ve been watching them- and some seem even lower than our waits with fast pass. I think I would gladly exchange fireworks and the full experience for lower crowds and less wait times. We bought DVC so are hoping to enjoy more relaxed touring this time around- though it is still tempting to pick too much on our must do list!! We also got park hoppers for the first time- so hopefully an early(ish) morning plan with frequent breaks/hopping will work for us.

We're waiting. We were supposed to go April/May 2020 then delayed to August/September 2020 then February 2021 and just booked May 2022. We haven't been since 2014 and once we go it'll be years until we go again. Two of my kids haven't been and my daughters are both obsessed with princesses so I am hoping that by May 2022 there will be more character meet and greets and meals. If we need to wear a mask we'll wear them but I want shows and characters back again. I'm really hoping Jedi training comes back because my oldest really wants to do it and he's 11 now so next year will be his last chance.

Our family is waiting! It's sad because we live right down the road, and have been passholders for years. But, we will not wear masks. We went once back in the summer, and it gives me anxiety just thinking about doing that again. I remember standing in line, thirsty, and worried that if I took a drink, someone would yell at me about the mask. I realized, "what am I doing?", "why would I do this?". So, never again. This was the first time that we have not renewed our passes. :sad2:

Before this year, the most we went was once per year for 9 days. We went four times in the past year for a total of 30 days including trips over Christmas and Easter in a few weeks. We love the low crowds. I miss some things but we will never see crowds like this again so we are taking advantage of it.

We will be waiting. We’re hoping to go in June 2022. Never have gone in the summer. We have always taken the kids out of school. Now 2 of mine are high school and it’s to hard to miss school. 😞

Thank you! I am still not eligible yet, but very happy to see the age limit going down. I would love to be vaccinated before my late April trip, but will be going either way.
I am not sure where you are, but Orange County will be accepting 40+ at the OC Convention Center starting Monday. WKMG says, "Residents who are between the ages of 40-59 can visit ocfl.net/vaccine at 9 a.m. on Monday to make an appointment."

We went back and forth for so long about this and ultimately decided to go for a few reasons. The main one is that we probably only have a few big vacations left with our daughter before she’s out on her own and it may be harder for her to commit to vacations with us.

We actually had a big trip to Hawaii planned for last summer that we had to move to this summer and we ended up moving again to next summer because of all of the restrictions so we all brainstormed about what to do (we love to travel - especially road trips and Disney) and everyone really wanted to go to Disney. We always have a good time and as much as it will suck having to wear a mask, I think we’ll still have a great time. A lot of the other changes won’t affect us very much so we just decided to go for it, especially with next years trip already planned.

We are going for a lot longer than usual and splurging and staying at a deluxe so hopefully that will help us feel a lot more relaxed and not rushed and get more mask breaks if needed.

Oh and another main reason is that in OH, 40+ can be vaccinated as of tomorrow and I’m getting mine Saturday and DH next week and then on the 29th, 16+ can get it so our daughter won’t be long after. So I’m not so worried about traveling anymore.

Last edited:
We will probably go in November when it hopefully won't be so hot. During normal times, we would go 3 times a year and haven't been since it closed last March. My wife and I could wait even longer but our special needs son keeps trying to tell us through his Disney videos that doesn't understand why it has been so long and he wants to go so badly.

Masks don't bother me. The lack of entertainment, fast passes, food options, etc. - those things bother me. To me, wearing a mask is just the price I pay to be able to move (relatively) freely through society; it's just routine now. There's no reason (except money) Disney can't have at least SOME of the entertainment back. Maybe they don't want to do firework spectacles that have everyone gathering, but ROL and F! could easily accommodate socially distanced seating. Character meets are being done at at least the 6ft distance in other parks, and I believe even at Aulani - so why not at WDW? And it makes no sense that Disney has reinstated a sing-along (encouraging the whole audience to generate aerosols), but hasn't brought back any of the stage shows, even though other resorts have.

I feel the same way. The whole family had active APs that we took refunds for during the closure. We did repurchase the APs once that was allowed but don't plan to activate them until at least some of the entertainment elements are back.

can you share some alternate destinations? We would like to try some different things while we wait for WDW to get back to normal but I’m having a hard time other placesthat ARE more normal already lol
Dollywood and Silver Dollar City are great and both have entertainment running, especially Silver Dollar City. When we went back in June of last year there were at least 10 different shows and both have opened even more since then apparently.

We go every fall, this past year went in November, temperatures were fine for wearing masks.. I don't think our entire family would tolerate it in the summer tho. Like other threads have said if you want to get rides in, it's worth it we rode almost everything with little wait. For us we are not returning until the characters are back and we can experience TOTWL.. we are new to DVC and not had the full experience. Also when we were there it was like an hour wait to get into a store, an hour wait to get holiday snacks, and super preplanned counter service via mobile app. Once we ordered dinner at poly brought it back to the pool, I forgot a drink and it took my husband 30 min to order be allowed in to grab the drink, super complicated, it's good because of safety/ regulations however all the little things that take away the magic add up and at the end of the day it's just not worth the price. In the meantime we have beach trips and the mountains planned also Hershey Park ( I have not been in 20 years). Funny how cost of 3-4 trips elsewhere don't even add up to one Disney trip...

We were going to wait until normal but decided to come sooner. This will be my kids (8&6) third trip. It’s been so long I feel like Disney may not go back to the way it was and change a lot of things. So who knows if my expectations will be met by waiting. Some of our reasoning for going in late April is that our kids have been virtual this year so we didn’t feel as bad pulling them out of school this year but really don’t want to pull them out of school when they are back. My husband, me and my dad got vaxed and I haven’t seen him in a year and a half and he lives near the beach. We are doing a split trip between visiting him and a shortened Disney stay. I really don’t want to go in the summer so late April seemed like the best time.

Also, we are big ride and pool people. We do a lot of qs and only 1-2 ADRs a trip. My kids are shy and don’t love character meets, they like seeing from afar. Shows are more of a filler, one and done for us. I do love street performers though! It seemed like what Disney is offering now meets our needs. Usually we do 7 days but this time only 4 park days. I didn’t want to over commit. It will definitely be different but hopefully still very fun.

Last edited:
Got back a few weeks ago and will be for sure waiting until things are back to normal for the next trip. We had a pretty good time but had a few upper 80 day's which wasn't awesome. And the lack of fireworks & parades did take more magic out then I thought it would.

Booked for February 20222

For the sake of humanity, I REALLY hope things are normal by then! 😉

We’re going in August 2022 no matter what. We have airline credit that’s good through 2022 and I’m not losing it. I hope there will be a vaccine for kids available by then and that at last some of the characters and shows come back. We were supposed to go last year in May and my son is so sad that we keep postponing. We went when he was 18 months and almost 3 and both times were magical.He will be 6 next summer and I really want to go one more time while he’s still little, no matter what the situation is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter