Who else is waiting until WDW is “back to normal”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've rescheduled 4 times since my original date of May 2020. We are taking my 86 year old mom who wants to go one more time (to ride it's a small world!!). I just rescheduled my late April to the week of October 3rd and I just don't want to take the chance of putting it off again, so we are going then. If masks are still mandated, so be it although I'm hoping with most being vaccinated by then, that this virus is on the way out. What I would really be happy about is if fireworks and shows will be back!

Sure, but still rolling the dice you won't end up in an accident and either be killed or have life long impacts. Not everyone chooses to live in fear of covid and having to show proof of negative tests, wear masks, proof of vaccination isn't gonna be around for long , it will all fade but there will still be a risk you go into a crowded place and you might get sick.

This is where I’m guessing we’ll never agree. You call it living in fear. I call it minimizing risk (not completely eradicating it). Think we’ve gone about as far as we can go here.

I’m an out of state AP, had 2 trips in 2019, my last was a long weekend in Nov. My gf & I pushed our May 2020 trip to May 2021 once the writing was on the wall. Despite things being way worse now than we’d hoped, I am still going, even though I will have to be solo, because my gf is Canadian and stuck across the border. I just cut the trip down to 8 days and our October trip for the 50th will be our big 2 week trip.

I get people’s arguments, I do. I’m sympathetic and I understand. Maybe the math is easier for me because I’m one of those infamous childless millennials at the parks and was not financially impacted by the pandemic. But I work in local NYC govt and have played my part in the city’s response to the pandemic, 2020 was unbelievably wretched for my agency (low morale, employees lost to the virus, etc) and for my support staff team specifically. I've spent the last year not going anywhere besides work if I had to be on site for something that couldn’t be done remotely, my house, and the occasional drug store trip. All while simultaneously caregiving for my 82 year old mother with COPD and being terrified that I was going to bring something home and kill her. (I had a mild case last March, miraculously she didn’t get sick due to the insane precautions we took.) Thankfully we were both fully vaccinated in mid Feb.

I just need a vacation in the worst way, even my therapist agreed with me. So I’m going to my happy place. Frankly I go enough that I don’t need parades and fireworks and characters to have a good time in the parks, I didn’t do those things on every trip anyway. I just don't want to spend my 40th birthday at home and sad mindlessly scrolling through my phone. Instead, I’ll be waking up and seeing the castle from the Grand Floridian. I had a black belt in FP+ so am not looking forward to lines but I will make the most of it. I just want to be in the parks seeing the sights and sounds, exploring the resorts, looking at something besides the grim news & statistics in my work emails. I have zero issues taking precautions and doing what I can to minimize risk to myself and others, including masks and testing before and after my trip despite having my shots. I really don’t care that everything isn’t “normal”. If I waited for “normal” to go anywhere I’d be waiting years tbqh. “Normal” to me is being in my happy place again, period.

I’m an out of state AP, had 2 trips in 2019, my last was a long weekend in Nov. My gf & I pushed our May 2020 trip to May 2021 once the writing was on the wall. Despite things being way worse now than we’d hoped, I am still going, even though I will have to be solo, because my gf is Canadian and stuck across the border. I just cut the trip down to 8 days and our October trip for the 50th will be our big 2 week trip.

I get people’s arguments, I do. I’m sympathetic and I understand. Maybe the math is easier for me because I’m one of those infamous childless millennials at the parks and was not financially impacted by the pandemic. But I work in local NYC govt and have played my part in the city’s response to the pandemic, 2020 was unbelievably wretched for my agency (low morale, employees lost to the virus, etc) and for my support staff team specifically. I've spent the last year not going anywhere besides work if I had to be on site for something that couldn’t be done remotely, my house, and the occasional drug store trip. All while simultaneously caregiving for my 82 year old mother with COPD and being terrified that I was going to bring something home and kill her. (I had a mild case last March, miraculously she didn’t get sick due to the insane precautions we took.) Thankfully we were both fully vaccinated in mid Feb.

I just need a vacation in the worst way, even my therapist agreed with me. So I’m going to my happy place. Frankly I go enough that I don’t need parades and fireworks and characters to have a good time in the parks, I didn’t do those things on every trip anyway. I just don't want to spend my 40th birthday at home and sad mindlessly scrolling through my phone. Instead, I’ll be waking up and seeing the castle from the Grand Floridian. I had a black belt in FP+ so am not looking forward to lines but I will make the most of it. I just want to be in the parks seeing the sights and sounds, exploring the resorts, looking at something besides the grim news & statistics in my work emails. I have zero issues taking precautions and doing what I can to minimize risk to myself and others, including masks and testing before and after my trip despite having my shots. I really don’t care that everything isn’t “normal”. If I waited for “normal” to go anywhere I’d be waiting years tbqh. “Normal” to me is being in my happy place again, period.

I think everyone needs to decide for themselves if any vacation is "worth it" to them. Sounds like you feel WDW is still "worth it" to you and I hope you have a wonderful time. Everyone has their own personal scale. For me, the answer is "no" WDW is not "worth it" for me at this time. I had a September 2020 trip scheduled with my neighbor and her two children that we cancelled and haven't rescheduled yet.

To be honest, as a long-time visitor with multiple yearly trips under my belt, over the last several years my enthusiasm has waned. WDW has become more of an add-on to other vacations rather than a primary destination. With soaring prices and cut-backs on the things that made WDW special to me, I have chosen to spend the bulk of my vacation money elsewhere. I imagine once I have grandchildren, we will do more vacations at WDW, but for now I have no interest in paying full price for only part of the experience.

I'm with those folks evaluating the value of a trip without full access to everything that makes Disney so magical. I've been vaccinated. I will be wearing my mask no matter where I go until that restriction is lifted. Would I have planned a trip before the vaccine....no! Will I go now that I'm vaccinated....no! When Disney is in full operation...here I come!

But this kind of puts aside the fact that a vaccinated person in a room full of unvaccinated people is not 100% immune. I hear what you saying but this isn’t the kind of thing that makes you 100% invulnerable just because you get the vaccine.

"100% immune" was never the goal.

The risk of death or hospitalization with the vaccine is very near 0%. That is the point.

The risk that you get the virus with no symptoms or mild symptoms is still there, but I wouldn't avoid fireworks crowds or indoor restaurants because there is a risk that I might get the sniffles...

The hope is that with vaccines, potential herd immunity by summer and the risk to COVID being reduced so significantly that it is well below risks from Flu, by the end of the year or early 2022 at the latest, we will back to a normal society again without mask and distancing mandates in place.

We rescheduled our November 2020 trip to November 2021. While I am very disappointed by the prospect of a reduced experience (especially for $$$), I do feel the pressure of time moving forward. My kids will be 14, 10, & 5 by the time we go. It is my youngest's first trip - she loves Princesses and all things magical. To me, 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 is the best, most perfectly magical age to go for a first trip, so I don't want my little one to miss this super fun window of time. My middle child was 1 & 4 the last 2 times we went, but doesn't remember much from when he was there. I want this to be a chance for him to be young and silly enough to really embrace the magic. And my oldest will be in high school, so every year that goes by it becomes harder to pull him out of school. I wouldn't want to go on Spring Break due to crowds, and several of my family members would be really cranky in the summer heat, so we could only reschedule for November 2022, which is way beyond when I wanted to go. Plus (and most importantly), after loosing a family member, having sick family members, and a myriad of other life struggles this past year, I have been having an intense "life is short" feeling. And the future is so uncertain - no one knows when or if things will go "back to normal."

So, yes, it stinks that some of the aspects I really, really love about Disney (Fireworks, Character Interactions, Hoop De Doo, Bibbity Bobbity, great Sit Down meals) may not happen or be modified. However, I very much have that "who knows what the future may bring?" feeling. Yes, it stinks it won't be the Disney I remember, but so much stinks about this pandemic experience. We are all just doing the best we can to stay positive and live in the moment.

I am also remaining hopeful that the combination of it being the 50th Anniversary + vaccinations, means that a few good things may come back. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, though, because I really want & need this trip.

We went in December and we are going again from April 8-15th. Why do I feel like these trips are worth it for myself, my wife, and our six year old son?

1. The limited park capacity is actually quite nice. You basically never find yourself wall to wall between people like you did pre-pandemic. I’m happy there are no parades right now for this reason, I’m good with just seeing the random cavalcades.

2. There is basically nowhere else you can travel domestically that has so many options in terms of dining, entertainment, shopping, and scenery.

3. Hotel rates are low. We are staying at the Swan for a whole week in April because the room rates were reasonable for the first time in ... forever.

4. Even after spending a full week in Disney, we seldom have time to do everything we want. There are no fireworks, which means we can catch more rides or have another meal we would normally skip because of planning around fireworks.

5. Disney is what you make of it. The magic is baked into these parks. If you go with an attitude of gratefulness and appreciation to be enjoying such a wondrous place during such a rough time, it can still be very special.

6. It’s warm. There are pools. It’s a beautiful place.

7. New stuff continues to appear. New merchandise. New things at the parks, such as the newly unveiled Epcot entrance.

8. Flower and Garden is wonderful. There will be live music, tons of unique food options, and the parts of the park that are open are still gorgeous.

9. My son is about to turn 7. I don’t want to miss these trips with him while he is still young and full of imagination.

10. Galaxy’s Edge. It’s incredible.

I could continue the list, but I don’t go to Disney because it offers a great value for my vacation dollar, I go because for us, it is priceless.

We went in December and we are going again from April 8-15th. Why do I feel like these trips are worth it for myself, my wife, and our six year old son?

1. The limited park capacity is actually quite nice. You basically never find yourself wall to wall between people like you did pre-pandemic. I’m happy there are no parades right now for this reason, I’m good with just seeing the random cavalcades.

2. There is basically nowhere else you can travel domestically that has so many options in terms of dining, entertainment, shopping, and scenery.

3. Hotel rates are low. We are staying at the Swan for a whole week in April because the room rates were reasonable for the first time in ... forever.

4. Even after spending a full week in Disney, we seldom have time to do everything we want. There are no fireworks, which means we can catch more rides or have another meal we would normally skip because of planning around fireworks.

5. Disney is what you make of it. The magic is baked into these parks. If you go with an attitude of gratefulness and appreciation to be enjoying such a wondrous place during such a rough time, it can still be very special.

6. It’s warm. There are pools. It’s a beautiful place.

7. New stuff continues to appear. New merchandise. New things at the parks, such as the newly unveiled Epcot entrance.

8. Flower and Garden is wonderful. There will be live music, tons of unique food options, and the parts of the park that are open are still gorgeous.

9. My son is about to turn 7. I don’t want to miss these trips with him while he is still young and full of imagination.

10. Galaxy’s Edge. It’s incredible.

I could continue the list, but I don’t go to Disney because it offers a great value for my vacation dollar, I go because for us, it is priceless.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I'm out of state so I already don't get to go to WDW very often. This past year has been one of the hardest of my life and not just because of COVID. I was diagnosed with cancer, had life-altering surgery and then I was, out of the blue, knocked down with a rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis - all at the age of 32.

I need some happiness and fun in my life - and Disney trips have always given that me. My new physical limitations have required me to adjust my expectations about what I can do but with Disney, I don't have to give anything up. I still get to go and enjoy it all - albeit at a slower pace with more rest stops.

If this were my one and only time going, I'm sure I would think differently but I know that there will many more trips in my lifetime.

Just got back.... going again in May.... masks in the heat is tough to do but there is nowhere else to go that is so much fun...

Went December 2020 - after a tough year needed the magic that Disney provides just to get your mind off the real world and the stress. Sad to say the experience was so lacking that it didn't help and was just another reminder for me that things still aren't great. Without the fireworks, parades, no meet and greets, closed resorts/restaurants etc it just felt empty. These are the things that separate Disney from other theme parks, if you want rides and thrills Disney isn't the first choice.

I wouldn't blame anybody for wanting to go now (masks don't bother me) but if you want the Disney magic imo you're better off waiting rather then be disappointed. I feel really bad for anybody that has made their 1st trip to Disney post covid.

Last edited:
This. We went with a positive attitude and ready to have fun. We had tons of fun! I’ve never had a “bad” vacation though and I suspect it’s because the act of traveling and experiencing things that are different from my daily life is a joy to me. I’m grateful for the opportunity.

So, I have been going for over 25 years and have been many times. I just enjoy being there. Before Covid, I would book my FPs and go on those rides and maybe a couple others that had short lines. I also stopped watching the parades and fireworks because, unless you get a spot early, someone short like me can't see it. I have medical issues where I have to use the restroom frequently and travel solo. So I have no one to save my space for me when I leave to go to the restroom. That is why I don't go on many rides either, because of the long waits, I would never make it. So most of my trips are spent walking around the parks and "taking them in". I go mostly to Epcot during the festivals. I went Oct 2020, Feb 2021, and am going in 3 weeks again. I have done more rides on the last 2 trips then I have in the last 5 years combined because the wait times where so short. So for me, it has not been a "less" experience, but a much better one. I do wish that they would increase their dining options. Even when crowds are at their lowest, the wait times for counter service can get very high. As for the mask situation, I work in a grocery store and have to wear one while working so I am used to it. But I had to find one that fit my face. I found some on Etsy that have the adjustable, thinner strings that go around the ears that is much more comfortable and does not pull on my ears. Edit to say that I kept my AP and have been able to renew. I am so glad that I did since I am getting more use out of it this year then any other year.

We have actually felt the opposite. We had a July 2020 trip planned, but pushed it off until November 2020. Leading up to it my DH was hesitant to go due to the virus. We went and frankly had THE BEST time of any trips we have taken. The simple fact of no FP really enhanced our trip - not having to plan every minute of the day was glorious. We work in healthcare and have been accustom to wearing masks all day, everyday, so the need to wear them at the parks was just another day for us. Our kids did well but thankfully it wasn't crazy hot out in November.

Any trip, no matter where you go is what you make of it. Masks will be around for quite a bit longer until most people are vaccinated. So if no masks is what you are waiting for in order to travel, it might be awhile. TX or MS might be your only mask free zones at this point, but if you are not vaccinated I would be very hesitant to venture out without a mask. Despite TX lifting their mask mandate I think you find that many business will still enforce a mask rule as they want to protect their staff and the simple fact that they don't want to be held responsible for an outbreak on their property.

What is TX and Ms??

Went December 2020 - after a tough year needed the magic that Disney provides just to get your mind off the real world and the stress. Sad to say the experience was so lacking that it didn't help and was just another reminder for me that things still aren't great. Without the fireworks, parades, no meet and greets, closed resorts/restaurants etc it just felt empty. These are the things that separate Disney from other theme parks, if you want rides and thrills Disney isn't the first choice.

I wouldn't blame anybody for wanting to go now (masks don't bother me) but if you want the Disney magic imo you're better off waiting rather then be disappointed. I feel really bad for anybody that has made their 1st trip to Disney post covid.

Here now and I agree with the post above - we were so looking forward to coming to the Disney bubble for the distraction and just plain fun, but we haven't found that. It's been an okay trip - sticking to the first 2 hours and last 2 hours in the park, we've ridden everything we wanted. What's different is the mood - both in the guests and the cast members. There doesn't seem to be much joy in either. We've been to Disney 20+ times and this has been our least favorite trip. Resorts are limited with activities and services, waiting lists to go to the pool, transportation issues, and there's no rhyme or reason to what things are closed or cancelled. In all honesty, it feels more like cost savings for Disney rather than Covid precautions. Disney seems to be delivering a budget product at full cost to the customer. It makes me sad to say it, but this feels just like any other amusement park destination.

I went during September and am currently planning a December trip. So many things in light of the pandemic are most likely going to become the new normal (temperature checks, probably proof of vaccination, maybe mask wearing), but being in Disney sure beats being at home and working. Only thing that's going to be changing for me is that I definitely plan on doing more trips in the cooler months if I will be wearing a mask and keeping much more leeway in my day-to-day plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter