Who else is waiting until WDW is “back to normal”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to weigh in here from a medical standpoint (as an in-the-crap-for-the-past-year Covid med professional). I'm going in Nov 2021 and have a pretty optimistic outlook for a good portion of "normal" Disney returning by then.

It is incredibly likely that we will see Covid restrictions lifted by the end of the summer around the country. Everyone who wants a vaccine will have been able to get one by that point. As soon as the CDC officially updates their recommendations, we will see businesses start getting rid of their restrictions because there is no longer a legal obligation. Whether or not Disney follows suit, we will see. They know that they need to start making up for a year of financial loss and they know that a lot of people aren't coming because of the restrictions. So who knows.

As soon as vaccines are available for everyone 16 and up, it is no longer the responsibility of public health to protect people. It becomes personal responsibility. We see this each year with the flu. Yes, the flu is different. But if you don't get your flu shot and you get the flu, who's fault is that. Sure you may get your shot and still get the flu, but it won't be as bad as if you hadn't gotten it. This is the same thing with Covid. Data is showing wonderful results for vaccinated people not contracting it and those that did had mostly mild symptoms.

What does this mean for Disney? For the majority of the parks, you are outside. Yes, there are ride queues, shops, and restaurants, but data shows that's not really how this is spread. It is spread in close-contact smaller groups. Not outside, not short & quick interactions. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney change their policy to being "Masks recommended but not required". This would make those who are comforted from mask wearing feel like they are still able to make the personal choice to mask when needed and those who want to not wear masks happy to spend their money there.

Someone mentioned something about not having herd immunity because the kids won't be vaccinated. First, there will never be total herd immunity because this is going to be around just like the flu and there are a lot (about 30% was the last poll I saw) choosing not to vaccinate. Also there is plenty of data to show that children do not transmit the virus as much as adults. There are clinical trials going on with kids 6 and up, with 6 mos to 5 yrs currently in the works (my daughter is enrolled for the trial should it start). They are looking to start vaccinating kids by the beginning of next year. So vaccines for kiddos isn't far off, but it won't be the determining factor is business getting back to normal. Except schools, where most are saying that are at least going to still have masking in the classrooms.

Anyway, just a thought.
I just wanted to say thank you for all you do! I know many close family and friends in the health and medical industry and you all are rock stars!

Here now and I agree with the post above - we were so looking forward to coming to the Disney bubble for the distraction and just plain fun, but we haven't found that. It's been an okay trip - sticking to the first 2 hours and last 2 hours in the park, we've ridden everything we wanted. What's different is the mood - both in the guests and the cast members. There doesn't seem to be much joy in either. We've been to Disney 20+ times and this has been our least favorite trip. Resorts are limited with activities and services, waiting lists to go to the pool, transportation issues, and there's no rhyme or reason to what things are closed or cancelled. In all honesty, it feels more like cost savings for Disney rather than Covid precautions. Disney seems to be delivering a budget product at full cost to the customer. It makes me sad to say it, but this feels just like any other amusement park destination.

And all of the above is why we aren't going back, if ever, after the covid restrictions are over.

Here now and I agree with the post above - we were so looking forward to coming to the Disney bubble for the distraction and just plain fun, but we haven't found that. It's been an okay trip - sticking to the first 2 hours and last 2 hours in the park, we've ridden everything we wanted. What's different is the mood - both in the guests and the cast members. There doesn't seem to be much joy in either. We've been to Disney 20+ times and this has been our least favorite trip. Resorts are limited with activities and services, waiting lists to go to the pool, transportation issues, and there's no rhyme or reason to what things are closed or cancelled. In all honesty, it feels more like cost savings for Disney rather than Covid precautions. Disney seems to be delivering a budget product at full cost to the customer. It makes me sad to say it, but this feels just like any other amusement park destination.

We went back in September and it was unanimous among all family members, it was our BEST trip we'd ever had. Absolutely loved it and it was primarily due to all the restrictions that we had fun. No fastpasses meant stand by waits were reasonable. Social distancing meant lines looked longer and so people wouldn't get in them. Social distancing also meant we didn't feel smashed like sardines.

While not at Disney, when we go to shows at SeaWorld, social distancing means that there's no one sitting in front of us to block our view (if they're tall). Lower restaurant capacity meant a quieter atmosphere. No meet and greets meant characters were traveling in cavalcades and waving from rooftops, so that was cool because we never waited to see characters, and now we got to see them.

Reduced park hours meant we didn't kill ourselves staying from open to close. It was a forced rest time and evening were far more relaxing.

Of course the last one is our own fault, but we had so much fun on our last trip. I think it'll always hold a special place in our memories.

I'm going to weigh in here from a medical standpoint (as an in-the-crap-for-the-past-year Covid med professional). I'm going in Nov 2021 and have a pretty optimistic outlook for a good portion of "normal" Disney returning by then.

It is incredibly likely that we will see Covid restrictions lifted by the end of the summer around the country. Everyone who wants a vaccine will have been able to get one by that point. As soon as the CDC officially updates their recommendations, we will see businesses start getting rid of their restrictions because there is no longer a legal obligation. Whether or not Disney follows suit, we will see. They know that they need to start making up for a year of financial loss and they know that a lot of people aren't coming because of the restrictions. So who knows.

As soon as vaccines are available for everyone 16 and up, it is no longer the responsibility of public health to protect people. It becomes personal responsibility. We see this each year with the flu. Yes, the flu is different. But if you don't get your flu shot and you get the flu, who's fault is that. Sure you may get your shot and still get the flu, but it won't be as bad as if you hadn't gotten it. This is the same thing with Covid. Data is showing wonderful results for vaccinated people not contracting it and those that did had mostly mild symptoms.

What does this mean for Disney? For the majority of the parks, you are outside. Yes, there are ride queues, shops, and restaurants, but data shows that's not really how this is spread. It is spread in close-contact smaller groups. Not outside, not short & quick interactions. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney change their policy to being "Masks recommended but not required". This would make those who are comforted from mask wearing feel like they are still able to make the personal choice to mask when needed and those who want to not wear masks happy to spend their money there.

Someone mentioned something about not having herd immunity because the kids won't be vaccinated. First, there will never be total herd immunity because this is going to be around just like the flu and there are a lot (about 30% was the last poll I saw) choosing not to vaccinate. Also there is plenty of data to show that children do not transmit the virus as much as adults. There are clinical trials going on with kids 6 and up, with 6 mos to 5 yrs currently in the works (my daughter is enrolled for the trial should it start). They are looking to start vaccinating kids by the beginning of next year. So vaccines for kiddos isn't far off, but it won't be the determining factor is business getting back to normal. Except schools, where most are saying that are at least going to still have masking in the classrooms.

Anyway, just a thought.
Just wanted to say thanks for what you're doing, and that I completely agree with all of your post, especially the part that I bolded.

Anyway, just a thought.
This! Every word of it.

We went back in September and it was unanimous among all family members, it was our BEST trip we'd ever had. Absolutely loved it and it was primarily due to all the restrictions that we had fun. No fastpasses meant stand by waits were reasonable. Social distancing meant lines looked longer and so people wouldn't get in them. Social distancing also meant we didn't feel smashed like sardines.

While not at Disney, when we go to shows at SeaWorld, social distancing means that there's no one sitting in front of us to block our view (if they're tall). Lower restaurant capacity meant a quieter atmosphere. No meet and greets meant characters were traveling in cavalcades and waving from rooftops, so that was cool because we never waited to see characters, and now we got to see them.

Reduced park hours meant we didn't kill ourselves staying from open to close. It was a forced rest time and evening were far more relaxing.

Of course the last one is our own fault, but we had so much fun on our last trip. I think it'll always hold a special place in our memories.

Exactly how we felt...... On another note, it was nice not hearing “please fill in ALL AVAILABLE SPACES!” 🤣🤣

We got outta dodge March 8th last year, a week before it closed. I just booked a trip for the same time NEXT year. I haven’t had a remote desire to visit while covid rages and FL is in a really bad way with it. The biggest issue for us is eating w others around. We haven’t been to a sit down restaurant since Homecomin’ on March 8, 2020. Have no plans to do it until most ppl have been vaccinated. Will NOT eat indoors w ppl not wearing masks, even for a little bit, period.

Last edited:

I say to each his or her own. I have no desire to pressure anyone to do anything, including getting vaccinated, yet I encourage everyone to do any and everything you feel you can handle. I'm not willing to stay couped up, nor am I willing to deny reality and live on the edge. I've been 4x to WDW - flying each time - since the July reopening, and I've been fine. I eat inside properly/safely run restaurants (including all the WDW ones), support my local businesses, walk our dogs without a mask on because nobody is around me, wear my KN95 for flights (especially the airports), sanitize my seat and tray table on the plane, use the ol' TUFNER stuff in the parks (and the little mobile sinks to rinse it off after it gets sticky), swim in the disney pools, take all forms of disney transportation.... basically, I do many things I'm regularly told are "risky", but I mitigate the risk and I've survived thus far. I've flown for business trips and stayed at other hotels a couple of times too, and I've survived those as well.

I feel bad for healthcare workers that have had to work 5 days in a row with 1 day off until recently, especially my nurse twitter friend who got bit by a 20-something raging covid patient that yelled about his incorrect diagnosis and screamed that it was a hoax... before he slipped into a coma and died a day or 2 later. I also feel bad for my stepson who has 3 kids and has become a highly regarded culinary chef, AND hasn't been able to find steady work since last April when everything shut down. These are the breaks these days. For myself, I have to find some sort of life balance because I can't manage either. Mental health is just as important as physical health, and staying couped up (and living in a state where EVERYTHING was shut down for a while) wasn't working for me. I'm extremely grateful WDW has been open, even with some things not available and having to wear a mask, just for the mental break from a depressing year.

Up next in 3 weeks will be my second Pfizer shot..... but that'll be after spending the week after next at wilderness lodge. :) Life goes on, with or without each of us.

We got outta dodge March 8th last year, a week before it closed. I just booked a trip for the same time NEXT year. I haven’t had a remote desire to visit while covid rages and FL is in a really bad way with it. The biggest issue for us is eating w others around. We haven’t been to a sit down restaurant since Homecomin’ on March 8, 2020. Have no plans to do it until most ppl have been vaccinated. Will NOT eat indoors w ppl not wearing masks, even for a little bit, period.
Florida isn’t even in the top ten for new cases per population. Michigan, NJ, NY, Conn, RI, DE, MASS, PA, MN, VT, and NH all have higher rates than FL

I went in January and had a wonderful experience. Yes many things I love were closed but I was aware of that and adjusted my expectations accordingly. I went in expecting joy and found it! I'm going back in November. I didn't find the masks to ben oppressive but I wear one at work 8 hours a day for the last year so I'm used to it. However, I won't go in the hot months as long as we need masks. I couldn't handle that heat.

Holly, we are with you. Planning our long awaited return to WDW in November and going to Colorado this summer instead of Florida heat.

It is incredibly likely that we will see Covid restrictions lifted by the end of the summer around the country. Everyone who wants a vaccine will have been able to get one by that point. As soon as the CDC officially updates their recommendations, we will see businesses start getting rid of their restrictions because there is no longer a legal obligation. Whether or not Disney follows suit, we will see.
Thanks for your thoughts... totally agree... At this point, 40 states have opened availabiity/eligibility for the vaccine to all adult residents, including FL and the entire southeast U.S. It won't be that long, a few months, before everyone who wants it, will get it. After that, it ought to be a matter of personal decision-making regarding risk, IMO. But as you said, whether or not that's good enough for Disney's PR dept. or not, we will see.

can you share some alternate destinations? We would like to try some different things while we wait for WDW to get back to normal but I’m having a hard time other placesthat ARE more normal already lol

This is the problem we had !!! Was thinking about a July trip somewhere other than Disney--- received some great ideas from ppl on the boards, but we were going to have to mask up anyway---- so, then we thought---
ok--- will just skip vacationing this summer, but everywhere you go here in NYC you need a mask--- AND-- we dont get the Disney experience--- no pool--- (im not a beach person)--

So, booked Disney for July, with hope that they relax the mask mandate just a bit (maskless outdoor pics a start) -- and MAYBE a dessert party ? (one can dream, right?)

I was against going until things got back to normal. But then the end of 2020/beginning of 2021 kicked me hard. We had a severe income loss and my father died. And I sat and looked at what I had put down on my 2020 trip and our airline tickets and decided I needed something to look forward too. We can do it, as I had a good chunk down on our August 2020 trip and the plane tickets were paid for. It will be different, it will be shorter than we normally go, but it will be Disney.

I was against going until things got back to normal. But then the end of 2020/beginning of 2021 kicked me hard. We had a severe income loss and my father died. And I sat and looked at what I had put down on my 2020 trip and our airline tickets and decided I needed something to look forward too. We can do it, as I had a good chunk down on our August 2020 trip and the plane tickets were paid for. It will be different, it will be shorter than we normally go, but it will be Disney.

So sorry for your loss 😪.

My wife and I said the same thing, “not going again till everything is back to normal”.... and here we are going again in May... is it different, yes, but it’s better than nothing

We are going 10 days end of Jan 2022 for my kids 7th bday. We were team “I’m not spending the money till it’s back to normal”, but then I realized it will probably never be the “100% normal” I knew and loved.

My biggest things are 1. Feeling safe with Covid levels and 2. not having to wear a mask everywhere.

As if now we feel pretty optimistic for our trip. The only thing I’m unsure of is what the freak we will do as I have no idea what wdw will look like then lol. I’m also praying I don’t have to book ADR and FP at the same time if/when FP returns.

going in june and just really wishing and hoping i can have no mask outdoors but doubt that will happen. that would be normal for me if i had to choose one thing. idk how i'm going to fare with the mask on in june outside all day as i rarely wear one for extended periods let alone outside in the heat.

Right now im planning a Feb 2022 trip, but Im thinking I might go in August even if there are still restrictions in place and make it more of a laid back trip and go into it w/ that mindset. I just want to be in the bubble lol

We are waiting. We actually went this past September and it was our worst trip ever. We realized everything we loved about our trips we couldn't do. If I could go back I would not have gone. So now we are planning for September 2022 but will cancel if we don't feel it is right yet but I sure hope we are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter