Who feels very smug right now owning DVC after looking at 2008 rates!

For those who like to cook the savings are even more.

Even if you don't cook there is a place for the leftovers.

:cheer2: for DVC!! We took our 1st trip "home" last month and stayed in a studio at SSR. It was roomy and comfortable! $165 for a room at a value resort - WOW!! DH made a spreadsheet and is keeping tabs on how much it would cost for us to stay using the resort rates. It really adds up fast!

I think Disney has a pretty good feel that tourism and convention visits are climbing back up at Disney. The articles about extending the Million Dreams referenced the increase in park traffic that they've seen this year. They held back on increases in the years following 9/11/2000 but it looks like they're headed back to the year to year increases they had prior.

I only had time tonight to take a quick look at how things have increased at OKW. For fun....

Rack rates at OKW have increased from 36%-106% since 1997. In dollars (pre-tax), increases range from $76 to $785 per night.

DVC dues for the same time period went up 39% or $1.23 per point.

So, one weeknight in the Grand Villa at Christmas would cost a DVC member an additional $81. The cash customer is now paying $785 dollars more per night (plus $197 tax). For a regular season studio, the difference is about $14 more per night in dues costs -- versus an $86 per night increase (38% plus an additional $38 for tax)

I'd say...so far so good for DVC! Below is OKW 1997 vs. 2008
There was no "holiday" pricing in 1997 - it would cost the same as peak

Value Regular Peak Holiday*
$Increase
% Increase

Studio $76 $86 $126 $166
36% 38% 52% 66%

1 Bed $95 $125 $180 $255
33% 41% 56% 80%

2 Bed $140 $220 $340 $450
36% 54% 80% 106%

GV $345 $460 $615 $785
42% 54% 72% 91%

GREAT chart, Pam!

I love being a DVC member, but where do you get POP for $165 per night. I checked our dates for next January and POP priced out at $82 per night. Still don't want to stay there, but that's not a bad price at all.

I guess it depends on the day of the week and view chosen.

Value Resorts pricing for 2008 (from Mousesavers website)

Value Season: January 1 - February 13, August 3 - October 1, November 30 - December 18
Regular Season: March 30 - May 21, October 2 - November 29
Summer Season: May 22 - August 2
Peak Season: February 14 - March 29
Holiday Season: December 19 - December 31

Room Rates
The Rates posted below are basic rates for most dates in that season except for the following exceptions
MK Rates - apply only on Martin Luther King Weekend, January 18-20.
PW Rates - apply only on Presidents Day Weekend, February 15-17.
EW Rates - apply only on Easter Week, March 16-27.
IW Rates - apply only on Independence Day Weekend, July 4-5.
TW Rates - apply only on Thanksgiving Weekend, November 26-29

Standard View - Sunday thru Thursday
Value Season $82 ($92 for MW)
Regular Season $99 ($109 for TW)
Summer Season $109
Peak Season $119 ($134 for PW & $129 for EW)
Holiday Season $129

Standard View - Friday and Saturday
Value Season $82 ($92 for MW)
Regular Season $99 ($109 for TW)
Summer Season $119 ($124 for IW)
Peak Season $119 ($134 for PW & $129 for EW)
Holiday Season $139

Preferred Locations - Sunday thru Thursday

Value Season $94 ($104 for MW)
Regular Season $111 ($121 for TW)
Summer Season $121
Peak Season $131 ($146 for PW & $141 for EW)
Holiday Season $141

Preferred Locations - Friday and Saturday
Value Season $94 ($104 for MW)
Regular Season $111 ($121 for TW)
Summer Season $131 ($136 for IW)
Peak Season $141 ($146 for PW & $141 for EW)
Holiday Season $151

Rates listed are full price, also known as "rack rates." Rates are per room, per night, based on 2 adults maximum per room. Kids under 18 stay free. A charge of $10 per night plus tax applies for each additional adult in the room. A child under 3 in a crib does not count toward maximum occupancy.

Rates do not include 13% tax at All-Star Sports, Music and Movies Resorts, or 12.5% tax at Pop Century Resort.

Standard rooms sleep 4 two double beds or 2 King bed.

Preferred Location applies to:

All-Star Movies: Fantasia, Toy Story and 101 Dalmations buildings
All-Star Music: Calypso buildings 1 & 10
All-Star Sports: Surfs Up buildings 1 & 6
Pop Century: selected rooms in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s buildings

We used to stay at the All Stars, or moderates on an annual basis, depending on what we could afford at the time. Now we go twice a year in a one bedroom or studio at any of the DVC resorts. We have paid off the loan, and now only pay the annual fees, and airfare, plus food, annual passes, and the goodies we buy at the parks. I think we made a good choice becoming members.

I'm just very happy that I found DVC when I did and that I get to go back a few times a year! :yay:

Smug? No.

REALLY happy? Yes.

I'm even MORE glad we decided to "take the plunge" this year. And I'm looking forward to having my young kids grow up with Disney as their "home away from home".

Because of DVC, annual passes and the DDE card, I'm leaving for Disney next week for what will be my fourth visit this year. Our last 5 night trip at the Boardwalk cost us less than $1,000 out of pocket, including food and airfare. I expect our upcoming stay in a one bedroom at the Beach Club will be about the same, if not less. I'm constantly hearing from friends and family that they have no idea how I can afford to go to Disney as often as I do. In reality, it's one of the least expensive vacations we could take. Without DVC, we most likely wouldn't be able to go even once a year paying rack rates at the hotels and buying multi-day park tickets.

Yes, I'm very, very happy with my DVC! :)

Yup! color me happy. I always said this the one major purchase I have made in my life that I didn't agonize over, never a second thought.

::yes:: I was nervous about my recent purchase (May 2007), only because the rest of this year is a HUGE financial strain thanks to tuition hikes, FL insurance woes, and a few other hits to my wallet. Looking at the new rates, I'm SOOO glad I took the plunge when I did!

For what it's worth, I did a quick weekend stat at an All-Stars resort this May. Rack rate was $99 - I paid $84 with a code available to everyone. 2008 will have the exact same rack rate.

I could have stayed at my home resort of VWL for 29 points a night. Maintenance Fees alone would have been $137.17. To be fair, let's throw in tax on the All-Stars and get $94.92. All-Stars was more than 30% cheaper than the maintenance fees alone- ignoring the buy in price, financing costs, etc.

Yes, a studio at VWL is a nicer room than an All-Stars room. Yes, I'm happy to have bought in. Yes, DVC can be a great deal. But let's not get too carried away with how great a deal it is.

Holy Cow!

A STANDARD VIEW at the mods in VALUE season is now $149/$159 for a total of $1063 for the week. Add on taxes and you're looking at $1190. A studio at OKW in mid-September is only 80 points. That's $800 at the bargain rate of $10 per point and $880 at $11 per point.

I wonder if this will move the price of rentals up ...

A STANDARD VIEW at the mods in VALUE season is now $149/$159 for a total of $1063 for the week. Add on taxes and you're looking at $1190. A studio at OKW in mid-September is only 80 points. That's $800 at the bargain rate of $10 per point and $880 at $11 per point.

I wonder if this will move the price of rentals up ...
Keep in mind you are looking at rack rates for the mods. Disney almost always offers great incentives for September - everything from free dining to 40% off codes. That's going to bring to price of a Mod under the cost of OKW at $10/point.

Again, I'm not saying DVC isn't a great deal. But I don't think Mod-going September visitors are going to put pressure on the rental rates for DVC.

If I had to guess, I'd say the rental point market is set more by supply than demand. If anything, the flood of developer points is going to put downward pressure on the market.

Every year when I hear about the WDW Resorts price increase, I get more and more happy about my decision to become a DVC member!:dance3:

I am just amazed by the new rates. :scared1: It looks like the resorts are taking a page from DVC by making many of the weekend nights higher than the week nights.

I'm surprised they don't do this now. Most other places like Vegas, etc, do tis regularly.

I always wondered when Disney would start charging higher rates for the weekends. Most other hotels do. I am so glad we bought into DVC when we did. I am also glad we just did an add on at AKV. We added enough points to cover the weekend visits so we wouldn't have to stay at a hotel just to save our points.

Not smug either, but very happy! It looks like we bought in just in time! It looks like DVC will be the best second home we could ever own!

For what it's worth, I did a quick weekend stat at an All-Stars resort this May. Rack rate was $99 - I paid $84 with a code available to everyone. 2008 will have the exact same rack rate.

I could have stayed at my home resort of VWL for 29 points a night. Maintenance Fees alone would have been $137.17. To be fair, let's throw in tax on the All-Stars and get $94.92. All-Stars was more than 30% cheaper than the maintenance fees alone- ignoring the buy in price, financing costs, etc.

Yes, a studio at VWL is a nicer room than an All-Stars room. Yes, I'm happy to have bought in. Yes, DVC can be a great deal. But let's not get too carried away with how great a deal it is.

I guess I never considered DVC as a value when comparing a studio to a room at a value or moderate resort. The value of DVC for us, is in the 1 and 2 bedroom villas, and a few years down the line I am sure a DVC studio will be a better value due to room rate increases. Still, this is a good example of when comparing the value of DVC ownership versus staying at a non-DVC resort, you cannot just use rack rates since there can be discount codes one can use.

I can't say I feel smug but I have felt contentment and satisfaction since we first purchased DVC. I appreciate the fact I no longer have to get invovled in the whole code watch/ search for a great rate game. I can know book exactly what want (2 bdrm BWV Standard) without worrying if I got the best rate or if I missed a code.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter