Who has made the move to FL?

I've got four more years to get my youngest through high school and then I'm heading south. I am contemplating Celebration or Reunion as I'd LOVE to get a part time (or full time) job at Disney (indoors!!!). Celebration looks like such a nice place to live. I am not fond of the extreme heat/humidity but that's what AC is for! I cannot stand the winters and right now, in MI, we are having an ice storm! Does anyone live in this area and have any advice? I am also very open to living on the beach. Probably more partial to the gulf side. I'm sure it is not as affordable as central FL. I'd be fine with a one bedroom condo but I expect both kids will wanna visit!!

I’m in Michigan- the Midland/Saginaw/Bay City area, hasn’t been fun these last couple days. Doesn’t make any difference to me about running the AC, because we’re running the heat for 7 months. I’m retiring soon and thinking about the same area, Celebration(would like to work at Disney)ors Leesburg. I too would like any advice on any other areas.

The storm this weekend just about sealed the deal. So over it. The 4 months of beautiful weather here is just not worth it any more for the 8 months of pain.

I've got four more years to get my youngest through high school and then I'm heading south. I am contemplating Celebration or Reunion as I'd LOVE to get a part time (or full time) job at Disney (indoors!!!). Celebration looks like such a nice place to live. I am not fond of the extreme heat/humidity but that's what AC is for! I cannot stand the winters and right now, in MI, we are having an ice storm! Does anyone live in this area and have any advice? I am also very open to living on the beach. Probably more partial to the gulf side. I'm sure it is not as affordable as central FL. I'd be fine with a one bedroom condo but I expect both kids will wanna visit!!
My wife works in Celebration. Really research living there before deciding. Just a few bits of information. The HOA is extremely strict and has rules in place for everything and anything you can think of. It is also an expensive place to live. If all of these things are okay with you, then you may really like it there. There are many more options and much nicer places to live within 30 minutes of that area. When we moved down to the Orlando area, we thought that we had found a great place to live. Having been here for about a year before we bought a house, we discovered the better places to live.

My wife works in Celebration. Really research living there before deciding. Just a few bits of information. The HOA is extremely strict and has rules in place for everything and anything you can think of. It is also an expensive place to live. If all of these things are okay with you, then you may really like it there. There are many more options and much nicer places to live within 30 minutes of that area. When we moved down to the Orlando area, we thought that we had found a great place to live. Having been here for about a year before we bought a house, we discovered the better places to live.

I agree that you should really do your research before you choose a neighborhood. There are a LOT of gated communities in Florida, all with HOAs of different sorts (although of course many non-gated communities also have HOAs, but not usually as strict). Strict HOAs with many rules may not be for everyone.

I never thought I would, but personally I really like having an HOA. The reason a neighborhood like Celebration looks so nice is because they are strict about what is allowed and the expectations for the upkeep of property. I may roll my eyes when I get a notice from the HOA, but then I go take a look and... well what do you know, my driveway does need to be power washed, or my roof cleaned, or my mailbox painted! They have never been unreasonable.

So anyway I just wanted to put that out there. I think a lot of people have an automatic unfavorable response when HOAs are mentioned. I used to think gated communities were elitist and snobbish and HOAs were run by power hungry tyrants who just wanted conformity. But it's hard to find a nice house in Florida (or in Tampa anyway) that ISN"T in a gated community run by an HOA. Now that I live in one, I find that i like the feeling of safety--that the lids can leave their bikes in the yard overnight and they won't get stolen, that they can play freely in the neighborhood--and I like how nice the neighborhood looks. So if you want the freedom to paint your house purple, let your grass grow knee-high, and keep 5 or 6 cars in your driveway, you don't want to live where there's an HOA. But if you don't want to live next to someone who may do these things, maybe you do.

What do you think of the Leesberg area

I think a lot of people have an automatic unfavorable response when HOAs are mentioned. I used to think gated communities were elitist and snobbish and HOAs were run by power hungry tyrants who just wanted conformity. But it's hard to find a nice house in Florida (or in Tampa anyway) that ISN"T in a gated community run by an HOA.
My DH would fall into this group, because the HOA where he grew up is terrible. It would be better if they were power hungry tryants... Instead they are just the people in the neighborhood with more money, letting their favorites flaunt the rules and nitpicking those they don't get along with, trying to chase them out of the neighborhood so more of their friends can move in, because it's now a very desirable area. They put an empty lot up for sale around a year ago, way overpriced, and we were pretty sure they were going to 'sell' it to one of their kids because they couldn't get anyone to sell their house... and instead, a police officer completely unrelated to any of them bought it :laughing:

Anyways, everything that has happened over the years there has soured DH on HOAs. Wait until we house shop and I have to break it to him, they're pretty much everywhere anymore... The HOA in my neighborhood was pretty hands off overall, so I don't have negative feelings really.

My DH would fall into this group, because the HOA where he grew up is terrible. It would be better if they were power hungry tryants... Instead they are just the people in the neighborhood with more money, letting their favorites flaunt the rules and nitpicking those they don't get along with, trying to chase them out of the neighborhood so more of their friends can move in, because it's now a very desirable area. They put an empty lot up for sale around a year ago, way overpriced, and we were pretty sure they were going to 'sell' it to one of their kids because they couldn't get anyone to sell their house... and instead, a police officer completely unrelated to any of them bought it :laughing:

That HOA sounds pretty bad! Maybe we've just been lucky. Our rules are reasonable and enforced for all.

That HOA sounds pretty bad! Maybe we've just been lucky. Our rules are reasonable and enforced for all.
We have an HOA as well. The rules are very realistic that everyone can live by. Celebration sounds a lot like the HOA described above. My wife has a co-worker who was living in celebration up until about 6 months ago. The charter alone is 166 pages. You may physically own your home, but you really don't. Nothing can be done without approval from the HOA. Home prices are between 1.5 to 2 times more expensive then similar communities. Also, the CDD and HOA fees are extremely expensive as well.

My in-laws don't live that far from Leesburg. I'm not sure if you ever visited that area. It seems a little older than a lot of surrounding towns and has an older population. I personally prefer Howey-in-the-Hills, Clermont, Eustis, or Mount Dora when it comes to that part of the state.

OP here :) We were in FL most of last week and this past weekend to do some 'scouting'. I have such mixed feelings. Areas that were not high on our radar screens became areas we actually would live to explore more and the areas that we were hopeful about, after reading online, were disappointing to us.

So, last minute decision was to take Gainesville and Jax off the cities to visit. For no reason other than not enough time to adequately cover. Rather than barely covering a lot of cities, we chose to focus on a couple and try to cover them well. We chose Tampa and Orlando and extended to Space Coast.

Tampa was just beautiful. I was not prepared for such a beautiful city and both dh & I were just in love :love: We especially liked the areas north and east...West Chase, Oldsmar, Brandon...we did not make it so far as Wesley Chapel or Cheval, though those may be next on our list if we decide to head back to Tampa. Traffic was BAD. We ate lunch at the Green Lemon. I think that was kind of out of downtown and in such a cute area but after that we headed to Clearwater. Traffic. Leaving there we began driving around the burbs in north Tampa. Major traffic. On every road in every direction. We stopped a lot and saw a lot and really liked it but would have to figure out how to avoid the traffic. Thankfully, the job my dh is considering there would be a remote job with travel so we'd just need to be somewhat close to the airport. But he wouldn't get caught in major traffic everyday.

Orlando was really where we concentrated the bulk of our time. We saw every side. I'll start with the north because that is where we expected to find the place we want to live. NOPE! Loved Doc Phillips but too much $$. Windemere might be affordable for us but we are a large family and not sure we could afford the size of house we'd need. LOVED Winter Gardens. What a cute, cute town!! Someone who posted here was living there. I really liked! Anything further north or surrounding that, we didn't really care for. Apopka, Lake Mary, Sanford, all just felt too rural. Pretty rural but too rural.

Is Kissimmee high crime? I actually liked the area ok. But I've read bad things so that was in my head the whole time.

I like the area west of Orlando also but this Is the area we saw the least of.

Did not venture into Celebration and Reunion. I know Celebration is too $$. Not entirely sure of Reunion.

The area east of Orlando. LIKE!!! This was the big surprise. We almost did not even bother looking there because I had in my head...north and west of Orlando...but the area to the east of the airport is surprisingly very nice.

Winter Park and Maitland...too old for me...maybe there are newer areas and we just didn't see?

Space Coast. I liked a lot. How can you not? You are right up next to the beach for crying out loud!?! I cannot see our family living there at this 'season' of life though. As homeschoolers, I need resources and people to connect with. I'm afraid we'd be an island and isolated. As a social mom with 4 social kids, that just won't cut it. If anyone knows of an area with a great homeschool community along space coast, please chime in!

Titusville...Nice area, close to the coast, felt a bit southern and being a southern gal, I kind of felt at home there. Any feedback, good...bad...ugly?

This trip was just enough to 'wet your whistle' and there was so much we did not see that we would like to. If we get more serious about moving, we will be heading back.

Last edited:

We live south of Leesburg, and my husband works north of Leesburg. I do not recommend the town. It does have a nice area, but crime is rampant throughout. And, it is a popular stop when Bike Week rolls around - more crime, very loud, and the very few bikers that court trouble overwhelm the other bikers that are just enjoying a gathering.

Fruitland Park will have similar issues.

For anyone that is looking for rural, with land, in the hilly portion of Central Florida, check out the Sugar Loaf Mountain area north of Minneola/Clermont. The prices are heading up (still much more reasonable than where we lived near Chicago!), and development is coming since the new Turnpike ramp opened up, but it is still a good place to buy if you want to be rural but yet close to civilization.

My brother lives in an area north of Pensacola. It's been a good place for them to raise my nephew. There is a college in the area, too and shopping, etc.- University if West Florida

My nephew has been in private school and will graduate this year. My sis in law works in Pensacola schools. She's worked in some of the lower performing city schools and they chose private school for our nephew.

We live on the Panhandle near Destin. We've been here twenty years and absolutely love where we live. DH and I both work at a wonderful state college. Our daughter graduates from the University of West Florida two weeks from today. She's had a fantastic experience at UWF - lived on campus all four years, in the honors program, heavily involved in some activities. She's been a Floridian for almost her entire life and this is home for her. Next up is graduate school at Florida State and she's beyond excited for the move to Tallahassee. I can't imagine living anywhere else (and we are not from here).

Traffic in Tampa is always going to be an issue. To be closer to the airport maybe Town N Country area or Carrollwood (Westfield Citrus Park Mall)? My other thought would be to go over the bridge to Safety Harbor.
There are some nice older neighborhoods off of Westshore and several people we know have canal front homes that are beautiful (on google maps see around Stoney Point south of Westshore Mall) . What a lot of folks do when they buy in South Tampa is to buy an older home and completely renovate the home. One family we know bought a one story, expanded the square feet of the lower floor and built a second floor.

cannot stand the winters and right now, in MI, we are having an ice storm!

I’m in Michigan- the Midland/Saginaw/Bay City area, hasn’t been fun these last couple days. Doesn’t make any difference to me about running the AC, because we’re running the heat for 7 months.

I'm in Michigan too, in the Thumb area, and this winter is making me wish we could speed up our relocation plans. Between renewing the car insurance this week and getting a heating bill that would be more normal for January than April, I'm so over living in this state right now!

I'm in Michigan too, in the Thumb area, and this winter is making me wish we could speed up our relocation plans. Between renewing the car insurance this week and getting a heating bill that would be more normal for January than April, I'm so over living in this state right now!

I hear you. It’s been a crappy winter

I don’t know how you can stand it. I’m in Nashville and getting grumpier by the day. I’m not sure summer is coming this year.

Completely beginning to get excited and panic at the same time...!!!! I think my dh is going to get one offer, maybe two, soon. One is with a company that is based in FL but the job is remote. SO, we can live ANYWHERE!!! Other job is with a company in the Houston area and we have to live in Houston. I'm torn. We are from TX and most (like 90%) of my family is in the Houston area so living there is very appealing. But being close to family is the only reason we'd even remotely consider Houston. No offense to Houston peeps but the traffic and crime have gotten bad.

I feel very guilty choosing FL over TX if we have that option. However, there are some things that are simply better about FL...like the lower property taxes and homeschool options...So we may just choose FL. I'm looking at Pensacola since that would be closer to TX. Any cautions/words of wisdom? I think before we make a move, we will head back to FL to look around again. We really loved the Tampa area. I could see us living there. I love that we might have an option but also overwhelmed by options!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter