Who has made the move to FL?

I hope the OP won't mind if I jump on this thread with a related question! My husband and I are very ready for a move to FL from the midwest for a variety of reasons: our homeowner taxes keep going up (right now $13,000/yr on a $400K property plus 10% sales tax on most items), I've never liked the cold and feel physically and mentally better in warmer climates (we always vacation in warm weather), most of my family has moved or is moving to Florida or the surrounds, we've lived in the same area our whole life and have seen and done pretty much everything--nothing feels new anymore; lastly, we are at a transition point in our lives when it would be a great time to make a change. The only thing holding us back are two middle school children; we fear that a move could be too hard on them. One children is very enthusiastic about a move while another is not (this is the same child who went on and on during our last trip about how fun it would be to live in FL and be able to visit Disney with friends). Have any of you moved with middle schoolers and survived? Please tell!

Ours were a little younger, it was the middle of 3rd and 4th grade for them. They have adjusted incredibly well. I would say middle school is still an ok time to move, but I would hesitate to move my children during high school. The school systems in FL vary widely - so you just gotta research to make you get into a good school area.

Haha... I am near this area. There are some who are going crazy for it. Some of my friends that have looked says the homes look like very low quality builds. A coworker drove through and said every lot they drove by said sold. I haven’t driven over there yet to see. I just read about it mostly on our community FB group. Another friend said their HOA and CDD are not expensive because of the size of the lagoon it is low maintenance. I am just wondering who is going to patrol this lagoon for gators? Then some have the sinkhole theory.

We have been here since 2003 before the malls and other shopping areas were built. We didn’t move here for the lagoon!

ETA: near the one near the Tampa area. Looks like there are a few with this name in Florida.

let's just say...some bills are going unpaid, and some work is being halted because those bills are unpaid. *not the one in Tampa. St Johns

My family moved to Clearwater when I was in Jr. High. My dad had a job transfer and we had no choice. I lived there for almost 14 years and made some great memories. When I met my dh his job demanded we live north so here we are. I believe you can make a home no matter where you live and both places have plus and minuses. We live an hour from Pittsburgh and I love it. We can go into the city(Pittsburgh is AWESOME)and our kids still have acres to roam and a nice small town feel where we are. I would probably rent a place for at least a year and see how it goes. Florida has some great areas and some very nice people. Beautiful beaches and the BEST amusement parks in the world. Is it for everyone, no!!!! But that doesn't mean you wouldn't be happy. Home is what you make it and if it is good for your daughters health, why not give it a try. Side note, I lived in Plano for almost 2 years and found it a harder adjustment than Florida. The weather was crazy, hot one day, freezing the next. I also like Pittsburgh a little better than Dallas but that's just my opinion. Good luck.

Ours were a little younger, it was the middle of 3rd and 4th grade for them. They have adjusted incredibly well. I would say middle school is still an ok time to move, but I would hesitate to move my children during high school. The school systems in FL vary widely - so you just gotta research to make you get into a good school area.

If we move, we will be moving a high schooler. Even though we homeschool, she's heavily involved in activities and friends. I worry some about her with this move but I also know the timing is right in every other way for our family to make this move now. If I wait for her to finish high school, my other dd would be almost done with college so we'd be leaving her behind and by then, my older ds would be almost high school. Then his brother is right behind him lol. We could be here forever waiting for the right time.

Can anyone make hotel recommendations? My dh & I are going in April to drive around. None of the hotels need to be 'resort-style' but just clean and in a good area.

We will be in Orlando for the first night. We are driving to Tampa the next day so a hotel on the SW side of town seems best.

Next night we are planning to spend in Gainesville.

Next night is Jacksonville. Hotel on south side or heading to St. Augustine as we are hoping to stop there for a bite (breakfast or lunch).

Last night, back in Orlando. Maybe close'ish to the airport.

Any suggestions appreciated!

I think there are Hampton Inns in all the cities you mentioned. I would try those. March and April rates are going to be somewhat higher than usual.

Make sure to try Al’s pizza when you are in Jax. It’s so good.

Anywhere downtown/channelside area is fine. As the Tampa Convention Center and Amalie Arena are downtown there are a lot of hotels to choose from. I would avoid Ybor hotels unless you are very familiar with the Ybor area.

For breakfast, Oxford Exchange is really popular (they take reservations). The South Howard (SoHo) area has a lot of small spots for breakfast well. If you want a place to go for evening drinks SoHo is a popular spot.

Most of the downtown/channelside hotels offer shuttles around the downtown area. DH and I use to stay at a downtown hotel on his birthday and use the shuttle to Channelside and then Back to the hotel.

Uber’s are all over Tampa now as well.

I noticed that someone said Florida is 'deep south' with confederate flags and guns.
I'm guessing this also means a lot of racism?

My daughter and I were in Tampa a few months ago. My daughter is bi-racial and I did notice some 'looks' from people.

I am actually thinking about movin
g to Tampa but am now questioning it. I never thought about the race factor ---- in NY it's not an issue --- and I don't want her having to deal with a bunch of back-woods racists if we move to Tampa.

Confederate flags? Seriously?

Can anyone make hotel recommendations? My dh & I are going in April to drive around. None of the hotels need to be 'resort-style' but just clean and in a good area.

We will be in Orlando for the first night. We are driving to Tampa the next day so a hotel on the SW side of town seems best.

Next night is Jacksonville. Hotel on south side or heading to St. Augustine as we are hoping to stop there for a bite (breakfast or lunch).

There is a newish Holiday Inn Express at Salisbury Rd south side of Jacksonville. I stayed there in November and will stay there next Sunday night on my way to Tampa. If you have IHG points its 15K. Its nice and modern and I would say very safe area. I've also stayed at the Aloft (spg points) near Deerfield Park and another boutique hotel in that area which is a bit pricier and I'll update with the name later when I think of it. This Aloft is nicer = good service. I don't recommend the airport location.

I don’t know about the area but would focus on using points. If you can find a Hyatt Place they are usually between 5000 and 8000 a night. If you haven’t already join World of Hyatt and transfer your UR points. Unless you could find UR hotels cheaper. I know there is a Hyatt Place by the airport.

There is a newish Holiday Inn Express at Salisbury Rd south side of Jacksonville. I stayed there in November and will stay there next Sunday night on my way to Tampa. If you have IHG points its 15K. Its nice and modern and I would say very safe area. I've also stayed at the Aloft (spg points) near Deerfield Park and another boutique hotel in that area which is a bit pricier and I'll update with the name later when I think of it. This Aloft is nicer = good service. I don't recommend the airport location.

Perfect, thank you. I do have IHG points I can use :)

I don’t know about the area but would focus on using points. If you can find a Hyatt Place they are usually between 5000 and 8000 a night. If you haven’t already join World of Hyatt and transfer your UR points. Unless you could find UR hotels cheaper. I know there is a Hyatt Place by the airport.

Awesome, I looked at the airport Hyatt, and it's only 8,000 points. We may just check in there on our last night since our flight is kind of early. There isn't really enough time to do much so we could just turn in the car that night before and not have to be too rushed. I'm liking that idea!

Anywhere downtown/channelside area is fine. As the Tampa Convention Center and Amalie Arena are downtown there are a lot of hotels to choose from. I would avoid Ybor hotels unless you are very familiar with the Ybor area.

For breakfast, Oxford Exchange is really popular (they take reservations). The South Howard (SoHo) area has a lot of small spots for breakfast well. If you want a place to go for evening drinks SoHo is a popular spot.

Most of the downtown/channelside hotels offer shuttles around the downtown area. DH and I use to stay at a downtown hotel on his birthday and use the shuttle to Channelside and then Back to the hotel.

Uber’s are all over Tampa now as well.

Sounds great. Thank you for all the ideas. I'll check out the oxford exchange for breakfast!

Sounds great. Thank you for all the ideas. I'll check out the oxford exchange for breakfast!

You could just run on over to Clearwater and stay at the Sand Key Sheraton (10K spg) right on the Gulf. The hotel is older but well kept up and water view is awesome plus plenty of free parking and walkable dinner options. I've been there several times and will stay next week as well.

Edit: I used to always stay at the Sheraton Suites near Tampa airport and they were great. SS have a separate bedroom and living room usually with mini fridge. But tiny baths.
They upped the point price from 3-4K to 7, I believe. (I haven't actually checked this price, but if I have to pay 7K for airport, I'll pay ten for city or water.)

Last edited:
You could just run on over to Clearwater and stay at the Sand Key Sheraton (10K spg) right on the Gulf. The hotel is older but well kept up and water view is awesome plus plenty of free parking and walkable dinner options. I've been there several times and will stay next week as well.

Edit: I used to always stay at the Sheraton Suites near Tampa airport and they were great. SS have a separate bedroom and living room usually with mini fridge. But tiny baths.
They upped the point price from 3-4K to 7, I believe. (I haven't actually checked this price, but if I have to pay 7K for airport, I'll pay ten for city or water.)

I'm still working on our spg spend. I don't have enough points yet :( Sounds lovely though!

I think there are Hampton Inns in all the cities you mentioned. I would try those. March and April rates are going to be somewhat higher than usual.

Make sure to try Al’s pizza when you are in Jax. It’s so good.

Try to hit Metro Diner for breakfast. I don't like shrimp and grits, but their version, oh boy....

Or the Maple Street Biscuit Company. I adore their sweet biscuits.

I noticed that someone said Florida is 'deep south' with confederate flags and guns.

My daughter and I were in Tampa a few months ago. My daughter is bi-racial and I did notice some 'looks' from people.

g to Tampa but am now questioning it. I never thought about the race factor ---- in NY it's not an issue --- and I don't want her having to deal with a bunch of back-woods racists if we move to Tampa.

FL is not deep south, for Pete's sake. I have seen maybe 5 confederate flags in the 10 years I've lived here. It's not Georgia, jeez.

I moved to the Tampa area for work for a couple of years and while there were pluses about Florida I preferred the midwest. When I was done with that job I moved back home. I do like Florida and get down there almost yearly but I didn't enjoy living there. The biggest thing I would caution anyone on when considering moving to Florida, and I didn't read the whole thread so this might have been discussed, is living there and vacationing there are vastly different beasts.

When you are on vacation anywhere you are less stressed and in relaxation mode. It is easy to assign that feeling to a place but it isn't the place, it is that you are on vacation. When you live there (and anywhere) you have all the daily stresses and issues you have in every day life.

FL is not deep south, for Pete's sake. I have seen maybe 5 confederate flags in the 10 years I've lived here. It's not Georgia, jeez.

Not in the major cities but get into rural Polk county and places like that and you will not notice any difference between the deep south and Florida. It is like two states.

Last edited:
We moved to Atlanta after living in Jacksonville for 9 years. We technically live in Metro Atlanta, so we're not in the city. That being said, we loved living there prior to having our daughter. Duval County schools are not the best. We left in 2012, and the crime was terrible. Regardless of where you lived - whether it be in a nice area or a bad area - your chances of something happening were about equal. I still have friends that live there & I was jut there in Nov for a wedding. I have heard the crime has gotten better. Cost of living is definitely cheaper where we are now. Depending on what you do for a living, Jax's cost of living is high.

I don't know what y'all do for a living, but I know for our careers, our pay was definitely on the lower end of what others were making in our field in smaller cities. Jacksonille has its pros & cons, just like any city. It is very beautiful, and I love the St Johns River bridges. There is always something to do down there. They just got an IKEA so that's the new hot spot LOL.

I was also born & raised in South Florida, my dad lives in Boynton Beach & my BFF lives in West Palm. I do love going back to visit. This is the first time I've ever lived inland, so I love going back to the beach, the beach wind & seafood.

I highly suggest maybe travelling to cities your considering & spending a few days if you can.

Try to hit Metro Diner for breakfast. I don't like shrimp and grits, but their version, oh boy....

Or the Maple Street Biscuit Company. I adore their sweet biscuits.

Maple Street opened in San Marco right after we moved, and I kept trying to go there the handful of time I've been back to Jax. Fortunately, they opened a location where I live in GA, and I went last wee for the first time. It's truly heaven on a plate. LOL

Metro Diner's Chicken & Waffles is the best around, hands down... can't find any place that serves it better!

Yes. The kids at our local high schools display them on their trucks. It’s been an issue.

Before we moved here from Michigan, we had friends that turned down a job offer in the panhandle because they had adopted children who were a different race. I didn’t understand why at the time but I do now.

When we lived on the other side of Florida, there was a Klan compound by my husband’s office.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter