• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who here enjoyed Rivers of Light?

We saw it in December, it was OK. We won't watch it again. The most irritating thing is not all of the effects and" floats" operated correctly, that was really disappointing I expect more from Disney. My wife, who tends to like that sort of thing more than I, actually said she wished we had spent the time in Pandora.

Glad to hear there are fans of this show as I read so many negative reviews I wasn't sure if we should try it out when we go in a couple weeks or not. Of course, Fantasmic has always been my absolute favorite of the night time shows and I read negative reviews about that one all the time too. To each their own I guess.

Quick question though, is this something I need a dinner package or FP for? Or if I go without am I going to have to give up an hour or more of time to make sure I have a decent seat for it?

So I have read lots of negative reviews, people that were underwhelmed by it. Now I want to hear the positive reviews - people who loved it, enjoyed it etc... Did yoyr children enjoy it etc...
I saw it solo. I had a fast pass, and I got a very good seat. I liked the show, I’m glad I got to see it. One time is enough for me, though, because I usually like to arrive before the park opens and leave in the early afternoon. I don’t feel the need to stay all day or even come back after a mid day break.

We like it, but we love animals and the Animal Kingdom. I think it is beautiful and love the emphasis on nature. I've been able to get a same day FP+ on several trips. We did the Tiffin's lunch package once but that was mainly because we wanted to eat at Tiffin's :-)

It was OK. We did the Tusker House RoL package and the preferred seating was super crowded. The show was pleasant enough and had some interesting effects, but we won't make an effort to see it again. If we are there and we can easily get in we would do it again. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, if you have never seen ROL, would you recommend trying to get a 4th or 5th FP for it? Or is it still ok to just try to get into the other section? Is there really a big difference in the seating viewpoints?

ROL is a very different type of night-time show for WDW. It is slow in pace, but very beautiful. It is kind of like listening to classical music or jazz, whereas the other shows are more like a pop concert with loads of action. ROL still has wow moments, but they are "wow that is beautiful and aren't animals and nature amazing" rather than "wow that was spectacular and aren't Disney stories amazing". So, while HEA and Illuminations tend to be an every trip experience, I would say ROL is more every few years for us. We loved the show. It is incredibly beautiful. Is it an essential show every trip? Not for us. However, we thought it was great and would definitely like to see it again.

I saw it solo in January with a FP+. I really liked it. I thought the water effects were really good, I enjoyed the lighted barge animals and the whole show!

I am not a huge crowd person, so I would stick with FP+ or the dining package.

We really enjoyed it. Of course it's not as flashy as a fireworks show, but still well done and fits in perfectly with AK. Of course, we are the "weird" ones that love AK and easily spend two full days (pre-Pandora!) there when others consider it merely a half day park. (which I still can't grasp!)

My only issue is that the night we went, it was a little windy, so some of the effects didn't come through completely.

I enjoyed it a lot more than Fantasmic. Never really cared for that one and have only seen it maybe 3 times in 15 trips.

I realize that this post is nearly a year old, but except for the fact that I haven't seen RoL yet (come on Dec.!) everything the OP wrote is exactly the way we feel about AK and Fantasmic. Even pre-Pandora, if you were doing AK in half a day, then you were missing ALOT!

So, if you have never seen ROL, would you recommend trying to get a 4th or 5th FP for it? Or is it still ok to just try to get into the other section? Is there really a big difference in the seating viewpoints?

The FP area imo is the most centered area, but every seat is a good seat. I would grab it as a 8th FP and check it out.

I think the show sucks but everyone should try everything once

The FP area imo is the most centered area, but every seat is a good seat. I would grab it as a 8th FP and check it out.

I think the show sucks but everyone should try everything once
I find the bridge view the most interesting.

The show is definitely not for everyone but I enjoy it.

I watched Rivers of Light a couple months after it opened. I enjoyed it. In terms of ranking the night time shows in all the parks, I rank it third, with Fantasmic fourth. (MK first, Iluminations second, then ROL, Fanstasmic, and the Star Wars thing 5th). That said, I probably won't bother to watch it again for a couple more years.

I can't decide what to do. We LOVE Animal Kingdom at night - -the Safari, riding Everest in the dark, Pandora in the dark....even DInoLand in the dark, but visiting in the summer leaves very little dark hours.

I have booked ROL dinner and I guess I will decide when we are there. Can I gift the FP if we decide to skip the show?

We really enjoyed ROL. Would have watched it again on our 2nd day at AK but DS got ill and we had to head back to resort.

I can't decide what to do. We LOVE Animal Kingdom at night - -the Safari, riding Everest in the dark, Pandora in the dark....even DInoLand in the dark, but visiting in the summer leaves very little dark hours.

I have booked ROL dinner and I guess I will decide when we are there. Can I gift the FP if we decide to skip the show?

Since it's just a paper ticket for the reserved seating section and not a FP (which would be on your MagicBand), yes, you can gift it.

But, for what it's worth, we really enjoyed the show and the Dining Package section really does have the best view. We always say, it's worth trying everything once. If it's not to your taste, you'll know to skip it next time.

I didn't dislike it. Many of the show elements are visually appealing. For sure, I would say make that 99.99% a 100%. It is absolutely worth seeing it at least one time. It is vastly different than any of the other nighttime shows in Disney World, and truly fitting for AK.

I honestly believe that with a bit of re-writing just to bring back the story telling aspect, this show would be breathtaking.

My daughter and I thought it was great! We are not big fans of Fantasmic. My husband did not like it. He thought it was too slow , no plot, etc.
Definitely a plot of harmony, everything connected. My daughter and I got it, my husband did not. We just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago and plan on going to see it again during our next visit.

I loved it.

I enjoyed the slow build up, before the show started there were subtle projections in the tree across the water, animal shadows, fireflies and things like that. Then the music starts.

I think it's a more low key show and that was ok with me.

I loved the music and the lights and the design style.

I left the show feeling happy, at peace, and inspired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter