Why aren't Australians interested in TDR and HKDLR?

CaliforniaAdventurer

Earning My Ears
It seems like Australians are mostly interested in Disneyland and Disney World, despite the fact that flights to Tokyo and Hong Kong are shorter and cheaper than flights to Los Angeles and Orlando. Aren't Perth and Hong Kong in the same time zone? Isn't the exchange rate more favorable to Australians in Japan and Hong Kong? Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea are some of Disney's best parks, Hong Kong Disneyland is improving, and both cities have a lot more to offer than Anaheim and Orlando.

Hi there! I'm an Aussie who has been to Disneyland California twice now and am planning to visit WDW later this year. For me it's about going to the original parks created/designed/imagined by Walt.
In saying that, we would love to go to Tokyo Disneysea one day. But ultimately we love the USA and it's always out destination of choice.

Honk Kong is a lot smaller than both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. As someone who travels specifically for Disney I can head to the States for two or three weeks and be happy, Hong Kong Disneyland is a stretch at three days. I have been to both Hong Kong and Tokyo and will go back but I still prefer to visit the States. Tokyo is very expensive once you're there and they are not as well set up as Hong Kong for English speaking guests. None of the shows are offered in English and a lot of cast members don't speak much English (or they didn't to us any way). If you hadn't been to a Disney park before I don't think Tokyo is the best option for a first visit. I also find the thrill rides over there to be extremely underwhelming, not that any Disney thrill rides are really out of this world thrilling, but those on the Asian continent are particularly tame.

I love HKDL! But as PP mentioned, it is only a small park, and doesn't have the same events as the US ones (eg RunDisney, which is why I'm going this year). It's also not so authentic with a bit of a language barrier and the different culture.

Keep in mind too, flights are still 8 hours and you don't get much change out of $1000. A lot of people think that for a few extra hours and a few hundred $$ extra, they could go to a larger and more authentic park and be able to immerse themselves in Disney for a couple of weeks. There really isn't anywhere for Aussies to get a quick weekend Disney fix.

Also, I don't only travel for Disney. My Disney experiences are usually part of a larger trip. And there are many places in the US (and Canada) I'd like to go. Since LA is the main entry and exit point for Aussies (that or Dallas), it's likely that I'll visit DLR on every trip to North America. I've also been to DLP as part of a trip to Europe, and plan on going to SDL when it opens as part of a trip to China. My HK trips have been stopovers on the way to Africa and Europe.

Our trip was originally a HK Disney trip. Though once I priced it, it was only a few thousand more to go to WDW. Of course that trip has now exploded, but only because there is so much more I want to do in the US!

Our trip was originally a HK Disney trip. Though once I priced it, it was only a few thousand more to go to WDW. Of course that trip has now exploded, but only because there is so much more I want to do in the US!

The same thing happened to me! I was planning a mother/daughter visit to HK for about a week, but then some awesome specials for Europe were released for only a few hundred $$ more. We couldn't resist, Dad came too, and it turned into a 2 week trip to Europe/DLP with a couple of days tacked on at HKDL on the way home.

It's expensive to go anywhere from Australia, so airfares of over $1000 aren't particularly off-putting for us.

Our first Disney experience was at HKDL which was perfect at the time as our boys were younger and it is the smallest of all the Disney Parks. We went at Halloween time and managed to see and do everything there in the 1 day. It did feel a little strange for some of the attractions (eg Golden Mickeys show) and the characters and often the commentary was designed for the asian locals and did not have that 'classic' Disney feel.

We are planning to go back one day soon as part of a bigger Asia vacation, but for the moment, nothing can compare to WDW :p

I just got back from Hong Kong Disneyland last week (an extra day tacked onto a business trip). And we went to Tokyo Disney on our Honeymoon and 5th Anniversary.

Hong Kong doesn't really compare to the American parks. Its fun but its just too small (and so hot and humid at this time of year).

Tokyo is absolutely amazing (at least in Winter when the crowds are low). But its a more intense sort of Holiday than the American parks. If I go to Japan I want to travel all over the place and see lots of things. When I go to the US I'm content to just spend my time at the parks and relax.

I love TDR, and would happily go back. However the language barrier was a bit of a bummer, and when I travel to the US we go to see family, as well as Disney.

Plus shopping in the US is awesome, whereas I really only bought souvenirs in Japan, as it was just too expensive.

However an 8 hour flight is so much more enjoyable compared to a 14 hour trip, and it really made it feel like there was a Disney right in my back yard.

My family went to HK Disneyland last Christmas, staying at the DL hotel from 24-27 December. We loved the whole experience, the hotel, the park, looking at the other hotel, everything. We stayed at the original DL hotel in Anaheim a few years ago and it was such a dreadful experience that I was a bit wary about staying at the DL hotel in HK, but it was absolutely fantastic, and the exact opposite of our DLR experience.

I would've liked at least one more day at the park (and about another 4 months at the hotel :rotfl:). We had 2 days in the park, but had to take a few hours out in the middle of both days for other commitments, which isn't something we normally do. (We're pretty commando style at DL Anaheim and WDW). I think we saw everything, or at least everything we wanted too, but it would've been nice to just go back and have one more day to wander around, look at everything, ride some more rides etc.

I was expecting really bad crowds due to Christmas, but it was really quite manageable and pleasant. I think we might need to go back at another time of the year though for a comparison... :laughing:

Prior to this visit, I'd never really had any interest in visiting Hong Kong, but as a trip to LA or Orlando was out of the question at that time, HKDL seemed like a nice compromise, and it also had the added bonus of introducing us to a new destination (we stayed in HK for 2 weeks before heading to Singapore), which I now can't wait to go back to - and which will definitely include Disneyland again.

I'd love to go to Japan now as well, mainly to visit Disneyland there, as that is the only one I haven't yet visited. We did toy with the idea of going there next, but somehow ended up booking a trip to the US later this year instead. Timewise we can't fit WDW in as I'd liked to spend at least 2 weeks there as we did last time (preferably 3), but we're doing San Francisco, Grand Canyon etc instead before heading to Anaheim for 2 weeks. I'm disappointed we won't make it to WDW, but seeing as a trip to DLR/the US is more than most people get, I guess we're not doing too badly! I tried to incorporate Japan/Disney as a stopover to or from the US but the airfare was so ridiculous I couldn't stop laughing.

Crowds!
Shopping!
Scrapbooking stores!
Walmart!

Although we have been to all the Disney parks TWICE or more, we love visiting the USA for the above reasons. Plus there are so many other wonderful cities we can fly to in the USA for a budget few days.
In Japan, taking a trip from Tokyo to Osaka (to visit Universal studios) cost us more than we would for a two week trip in WDW...Hong Kong park is quaint but not a comparison to 6 parks at WDW.
We love Disney parks and never miss an opportunity to visit one but for $$ value you cannot beat the USA parks.

I went to Tokyo DL many years ago, my first Disney park, and it was nice but didn't feel like the 'real' Disneyland to me. Same with DLP, went there this year, nice but not quite the same. Whereas I adore DLR and would go there every year if time and money allowed. The extra few hours flying, and extra airfare cost, aren't factors in the decision. And also agree about costs being cheaper in the US.

We have considered going to Tokyo DL if we ever went to Japan to ski, and my husband and eldest child would love to see Japan itself (I've been several times before) - so maybe one day we'll see it, but it would be as part of a bigger trip, not the reason for the trip. Opposite to why we go to the US - main reason DL, anything else an add-on. Same for Hong Kong, I'd add on HKDL if I was going to Hong Kong, but not the reason for the trip.

TDL and HKDL don't interest me much for the same reasons others have stated: once you travel overseas, there isn't much difference between a flight to Asia and a flight to the USA in terms of price. That, and a trip to the USA is great for us from a shopping perspective. I have been to DL but not WDW. I can't wait for a trip to WDW with my kids. It is vast. Other than Disney itself, other things about a trip to the USA are more affordable, too.

I lived in Asia for 8 years, and even though close, never went to those Disney parks.

TDL and HKDL don't interest me much for the same reasons others have stated: once you travel overseas, there isn't much difference between a flight to Asia and a flight to the USA in terms of price. That, and a trip to the USA is great for us from a shopping perspective. I have been to DL but not WDW. I can't wait for a trip to WDW with my kids. It is vast. Other than Disney itself, other things about a trip to the USA are more affordable, too.

I lived in Asia for 8 years, and even though close, never went to those Disney parks.

I think your a little misguided if you think a trip to WDW is a cheap one full of bargains and money saving things to do. Most of us who travel don't get change from $30K +.

And now airfares are going up, gone are the days of a cheap flight to LAX, then also add on the lax-mco leg...family of 4, economy nothing less than $10K +..and that's traveling outside school hols in the off season.

oz dollar is lower now to USA $, prices are rising as we speak.

WDW/ USA isnt for the cheap and cheerful crowd. Go to Bali instead.

Hi there! I'm an Aussie who has been to Disneyland California twice now and am planning to visit WDW later this year. For me it's about going to the original parks created/designed/imagined by Walt. But ultimately we love the USA and it's always out destination of choice.

this

I do not have any desire to visit the Disney parks outside of America.
I have been to DL that many times I have lost count, love it so much & of course its the "original"
We had our first trip to WDW last year & while I must admit I was completely overwhelmed the first few days , we totally had a ball.
I did say ,nah we wont be back, too far lol.
Well, we have decided to go again for xmas 2015, yikes am I crazy.....:rotfl2::santa:
Anyhow, we will probably be there for about 4 weeks, going to do a cruise as well.
As for Bali, been there done that, wouldn't go back now, not like it used to be years ago!!!:worried:

I'm another that has been to Hong Kong. I added HKDL to my Hong Kong holiday. It's a lovely park and let me get my Disney fix; but I wouldn't be planning a holiday just to go to HKDL.

We plan on visiting the other Disney parks around the world, but at the moment we are happy just visiting Disney World. This is for a few different reasons -

1) We always go for extended trips 3-6 weeks depending on the time of year.
2) WDW has more on offer for us as we stay for long periods of time, because
the flights can costs us so much. [$1500-$2500 + Insurance]
3) We find cost wise it only costs us a few hundred extra depending on the time
of the year between DL and WDW.
4) Our personal favourite parks are Epcot and Animal Kingdom
5) If we want to add on a Disney Cruise, its easier to visit the WDW parks as
it's a short drive to port.

We love Walt Disney World, and love all the options around the area, some of the night show ares great, Sea World is less then 10 minutes down the road and Universal isn't that much further if you're driving.

Shannon

The Asian Disney parks are not marketed at all to Australians - quite frankly I don't think many Australians know they exist.

We had a great trip to TDL last year but it's not the same as a USA trip - TDL is four days max , so unless you are interested in making it part of a longer Japan experience it's not the Disney park for you.

I also don't recommend it for families with young children - for one reason - swimming!!

A Disney holiday is more than the parks - it's a resort style vacation with lounging by the pool a big part of it - that doesn't happen in Japan -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter