Why is everyone so concerned with the new Poly tower

They went through a streak in late 2020/2021 of buying back PVB, but it's died off since. It's not like it was ever a OKW, BWV or BLT.

I purchased a small direct add-on PVB contract earlier this year and they had plenty of points back then in every use year. It's not surprising they aren't buying back PVB at the current resale prices. I'm sure they'll scoop one up if they go too low, but otherwise the spread isn't worth it.

In terms of contract length, price and fees, PVB resale is still a decent deal (or was last I looked).

Honestly, I am surprised at the increased incentives but they did go up for all the resorts…so, is it because sales stalled in May? They want to get more points sold faster before bringing more online with VDH and Poly tower and given current conditions, figure it’s better to lower price to find that new “sweet” spot.
I was surprised by the increased incentives, as well. I'm also wondering if they increased the incentives as a defensive move against inflation and a jittery economy, and not necessarily in response to slower sales in May. Sure makes a direct purchase more attractive.

They went through a streak in late 2020/2021 of buying back PVB, but it's died off since. It's not like it was ever a OKW, BWV or BLT.

I purchased a small direct add-on PVB contract earlier this year and they had plenty of points back then in every use year. It's not surprising they aren't buying back PVB at the current resale prices. I'm sure they'll scoop one up if they go too low, but otherwise the spread isn't worth it.

In terms of contract length, price and fees, PVB resale is still a decent deal (or was last I looked).
Yeah I agree. When poly was being sold in the $130s/$140s they bought them back. They haven't really been selling at that price since then so they haven't bought them back.

I have no idea which way this will go. I was completely wrong about VGF2, but if Disney applies what they learn from past performance then they will want to keep it the same.... so that all the PVB1 owners buy direct to add on to PVB2. If they keep the tower 1,2&3br's (and accelerate the required points to book). Those PVB1 owners that only have "studio point contracts" will need a bunch more points for the new tower. Cha-ching (cash register opening)

I have no idea which way this will go. I was completely wrong about VGF2, but if Disney applies what they learn from past performance then they will want to keep it the same.... so that all the PVB1 owners buy direct to add on to PVB2. If they keep the tower 1,2&3br's (and accelerate the required points to book). Those PVB1 owners that only have "studio point contracts" will need a bunch more points for the new tower. Cha-ching (cash register opening)

Except, if it’s the same, then owners can just pick up less expensive resale points since those would still be good there.

New makes it something you can only get buying direct so those current Poly owners would be forced to add on that way since that is all that will work.

It will be interesting to see which way they go!

But they're not building the tower for just Poly owners. They're building it for all dvc members and new owners as well, including those who may not want to own at Poly1. Welding the new building to a resort that many feel is outdated might not be a good strategy.

Except, if it’s the same, then owners can just pick up less expensive resale points since those would still be good there.

New makes it something you can only get buying direct so those current Poly owners would be forced to add on that way since that is all that will work.

It will be interesting to see which way they go!
But poly members may as well be SSR owners in terms of adding on if the resort is new. They wouldn't have any reason to add on. And if it's priced like VGF2, the difference between resale and direct is likely not significant for a lot of people.

In the case of a different Poly, owners could decide to sell their resale points, then pick up new direct points. This is a lot of extra work though. The process is also significantly longer since you have to find a broker (when many owners have probably only dealt with Disney up to this point), wait for a buyer, wait months to sell, possibly take a loss (many predict to happen if poly is new) and then buy in double the direct points. The spontaneity of it is gone.

It seems a lot easier for people who already enjoy poly to just add on 150-200pts direct for a one/two bedroom.

I do see the argument on both sides though; also interested in which way it will go.

But poly members may as well be SSR owners in terms of adding on if the resort is new. They wouldn't have any reason to add on. And if it's priced like VGF2, the difference between resale and direct is likely not significant for a lot of people.

In the case of a different Poly, owners could decide to sell their resale points, then pick up new direct points. This is a lot of extra work though. The process is also significantly longer since you have to find a broker (when many owners have probably only dealt with Disney up to this point), wait for a buyer, wait months to sell, possibly take a loss (many predict to happen if poly is new) and then buy in double the direct points. The spontaneity of it is gone.

It seems a lot easier for people who already enjoy poly to just add on 150-200pts direct for a one/two bedroom.

I do see the argument on both sides though; also interested in which way it will go.

Your example of current Poly being the same as SSR could be the exact reason that DVD would go new. They could decide that anyone who wants to stay there will need to buy direct. Unless they decide to change course with resale restrictions, declaring it a new resort, simply located at Poly, allows them to keep the goal of further distinguishing resale vs. direct.

From the current PVB owners side of things, sure, it being the same association would be a good thing because they can use what they own there, pick up more resale or direct points. I doubt DVD considers the impact on owners in that way. If they price it correctly, even new and with restrictions, it will sell well...whether or not those include current PVB owners.

Look at VGF...they included it into the same association and now completely changed the make up of that resort. I am sure there are plenty of current owners who were not happy the decision was made as it added 2 million new points tied to studios only...and those studios are not traditional studios to boot...and those will now be competing for the same number of larger villas.

IMO, the reason it was done that was is so they could sell it as a complete resort...not one with just studios...and that is exactly how it is marketed...

I know we will consider 100 points there, but only if it is new. I am not interested in competing at 11 months with the current 4 million points, not to mention I don't like the current set up for PVB...but the tower? Yeah, that works.

Last edited:
What are the rules for owners who bought resale prior to 2019 (or whenever they made the last change)? Are they allowed to use their points on new resorts at 7 months?

What are the rules for owners who bought resale prior to 2019 (or whenever they made the last change)? Are they allowed to use their points on new resorts at 7 months?

Yes. Everyone who owned prior to RIV entering the system are grandfathered to use those points at any and all resorts.

Your example of current Poly being the same as SSR could be the exact reason that DVD would go new. They could decide that anyone who wants to stay there will need to buy direct. Unless they decide to change course with resale restrictions, declaring it a new resort, simply located at Poly, allows them to keep the goal of further distinguishing resale vs. direct.

From the current PVB owners side of things, sure, it being the same association would be a good thing because they can use what they own there, pick up more resale or direct points. I doubt DVD considers the impact on owners in that way. If they price it correctly, even new and with restrictions, it will sell well...whether or not those include current PVB owners.

Look at VGF...they included it into the same association and now completely changed the make up of that resort. I am sure there are plenty of current owners who were not happy the decision was made as it added 2 million new points tied to studios only...and those studios are not traditional studios to boot...and those will now be competing for the same number of larger villas.

IMO, the reason it was done that was is so they could sell it as a complete resort...not one with just studios...and that is exactly how it is marketed...

I know we will consider 100 points there, but only if it is new. I am not interested in competing at 11 months with the current 4 million points, not to mention I don't like the current set up for PVB...but the tower? Yeah, that works.
I agree 100% with this. It’s a new building with dining/pool/etc. This isn’t a repurpose/refurb. Sharing this with legacy Poly doesn’t make business sense at all.

If you’re Disney, the situation of people selling their Poly 1 points and replacing them/adding with Poly 2 is a huge win. They lose nothing when a contract is sold resale. Someone selling their 150 and buying 200 direct is much better than them just buying 50 direct.

Anyone holding out hope is going through the same thing Boulder Ridge owners went through when Copper Creek was being built (I mean, the majority of that project was refurb, but they did build the cabins and complete a pool project). I was one of those people, and it was all uncertain when we decided to buy BRV resale. Then CCV became available and we bought there direct (still own that BRV contract).

Wouldn't this be an argument for keeping it as the same association though considering how well VGF2 sold? Just being curious.... I enjoy the discussion, I agree with most (all?) of the really good points you made and really could see it going either way. I think I tend to look at the other side more because it is the path to me purchasing direct, lol :). I wouldn't be surprised at all if it isn't the same association though.

Wouldn't this be an argument for keeping it as the same association though considering how well VGF2 sold? Just being curious.... I enjoy the discussion, I agree with most (all?) of the really good points you made and really could see it going either way. I think I tend to look at the other side more because it is the path to me purchasing direct, lol :). I wouldn't be surprised at all if it isn't the same association though.

For VGF, if it was made a new resort,, then all they would be selling was studio rooms. I don’t think that it would have sold nearly as well with current owners if they were locked out of the current VGF and larger rooms. Plus, the VGF hotel conversation was a quick development and not a ground up resort, with amenities added. While Poly did sell out as a studio only resort, it got a lot of complaints and its one of the easiest resorts to get into at 7 months. It means a lot of Poly owners have to leave for other places when they want or need a bigger rooms. Not sure it made sense to create that situation again which is what would have happened had made BPK it’s own association ation.

Poly is the other way around. The tower will have all room sizes so they don’t need to have all those studios to make it a well rounded resort.

So, it comes down to whether having those 4 million current Poly points as part of it all help with sales. If DVD thinks it will…and wants to eliminate resale restrictions, then it will be the same,

I find it interesting that it’s been 3 months since the announcement, and there have been a lot of talk about it in the public and yet, nothing from DVD to clarify. It tells you that they don’t want us to know…or they don’t want to decide until they have to decide.

I figure we have a year left before we get any more news. That is why anyone who wants to stay at the tower and wants to own Poly May want to wait before buying resale.

How many years were the Riviera contracts?

They were 50. But when BWV and a few others were sold, they were not so it’s not something they have to do. Plus it’s only 50 years if you buy in year 1…

If they are selling VGF well with a shorter life, they may decide that they can not only do that with Poly but also keep the resale restrictions.

There are simply so many ways it can go. .

How many years were the Riviera contracts?
RIV started with 50 years, but there's nothing statutory that prevents DVC from making contract terms shorter if they desire. VB, HHI, BWV, VWL, and BCV were all sold with less than 50 year terms.

I agree 100% with this. It’s a new building with dining/pool/etc. This isn’t a repurpose/refurb. Sharing this with legacy Poly doesn’t make business sense at all.
IMO, making the Poly Tower part of PVB makes sense if Disney wants to use 11-month access to the PVB Bungalows as part of its sales promotion.

They did something similar with VGF2. VGF2 sales material included advertising for VGF1 Grand Villas.

IMO, making the Poly Tower part of PVB makes sense if Disney wants to use 11-month access to the PVB Bungalows as part of its sales promotion.

They did something similar with VGF2. VGF2 sales material included advertising for VGF1 Grand Villas.
I don’t think 11 month access to the bungalows means anything. Since the point charts for them are over the moon high, they’re easily bookable at 7 months. In my opinion, they‘re also nowhere near as good as the cabins at CCV, which require less points as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter