Why would anyone go to a Johnny Rockets on a cruise ship?

We sailed Allure on Thanksgiving week in 2013. We ate JRs lunch or dinner at least 3x, 1 of which was Thanksgiving dinner. We don't have JRs where we live. The food in the MDR the first 2 nights was pretty mediocre. The service was sluggish. We also cruised 3x previously that year so we were pretty much over the entire dressing for dinner, go at a scheduled time, sit thru multiple courses, blah blah blah. We wanted to pop in when the mood struck in our shorts & tshirts, eat yummy stuff, and have good floats for dessert. Cost? Who cares? Even adding all that in we still came out less for 2 rooms during a holiday week than what 1 room on the Fantasy at the end of May cost us that year. We were okay with it. I was just THAT excited to have so many solid & varied not-MDR dinner options. I loathe the whole dressing/scheduled dinner routine.

I go to JR just for a change of pace. I cant get a greasy artery hardening cheeseburger in the MDR, something I need after a long night of boozing.

We walked the decks at night and when we went past the JR, there were a bunch of crew members inside eating. Maybe they get tired of the normal cruise food they are served??? :tongue:

I've been considering cruises and enjoy a good hamburger. I actually knocked a few, shall we say, "points" off some other cruise lines because there's really no diner style restaurant.

Why would I go there? I like that sort of food. I would say the same thing about the fine dining options (because I don't like seafood and don't enjoy most other "classy" options), but I know it's a silly question to ask.

I've been considering cruises and enjoy a good hamburger. I actually knocked a few, shall we say, "points" off some other cruise lines because there's really no diner style restaurant.

Why would I go there? I like that sort of food. I would say the same thing about the fine dining options (because I don't like seafood and don't enjoy most other "classy" options), but I know it's a silly question to ask.
Yes! I love cheeseburgers just as much if not more than steak. My biggest thing is to have the options. I love the variety of options and am perfectly fine with paying an upcharge for them.

We got Milkshakes and fries there in the afternoon and the boys didn't want dinner that night! Good milkshakes though.

Gotta be better than the JR near here. The restrooms at our local JR in NY are soooo disgusting. Yep, I usually check out the restrooms before I eat some place to decide if I should eat there.

The one benefit I can see is that it is a nice location on the Boardwalk for breakfast (which of course is no extra charge). But I suppose that is more about the location and less about what restaurant it is.

That's not on all ships. ONLY on Oasis and Allure. No breakfast at all at JR on the other ships.

Why buy B&J when there is soft serve included?

Well, for that, for us, it's ingredients. DH and DS on soft serve would be MOST unpleasant. Basic B&J ice creams, though, are safe for them. (they get NO ice cream on Disney ships, poor things)

Why buy pictures when you know what you look like?

Bwa ha ha.

Why do an excursion when you can watch a video of someone else's experience?

You're cracking me up! :)

(I can tell I'm overthinking life when I start thinking actual thoughts like that, though...what's the point of doing these things when in 60 years we won't be around anyway? lol, I know, sounds depressing, so I banish them. :) )

We like going for lunch midweek thru the cruise just to do something different than the windjammer buffet. Only time we don't go once for lunch is when we are sailing on one of the Oasis class ships. There are some many dining venues (surcharge and free) that we eat somewhere different everyday! We do like going for breakfast there and there is no charge for it! This is only offered on the Oasis class ships though.

I could understand that its possible that some people have never tried JR while others may find comfort of dining at a place they are familiar with. Personally I'm not a fan of fast food places or restaurants I can try at home which is why I enjoy trying something different especially when I travel.

We always go to Johnny Rockets one night for dinner during a cruise. We like it because it's a change of pace from the longer dining room meals and because you don't have to change for dinner. We generally only bring clothes for one formal night, so the other formal night is often Johnny Rockets night.

We at breakfast there a few times on Oasis and enjoyed it and had lunch there on Freedom and also enjoyed it. We don't have them here.

My personal claim for Fast Food is very low...so almost every burger makes me happy. We do not have JR in Germany so we gave it a try on the Allure. It was the only negative point on our cruise. The food was gross, the service was more than bad. It was just ridiculous!

What if you don't feel that the other food is much better? What if you just WANT something from JR? It's like $6 for a sitting, isn't it? Not for a burger, but for what you want while you're there? (maybe milkshakes are extra beyond that)
How does it compare to Guy's Burgers on Carnival (which are included)?

Also, not all RCCL ships have JR's or B&J's. We were on the Serenade and it had neither of these. Pizza, ice cream and hamburgers were only available in the Windjammer, which closed from 2:00-6:00, so you were out of luck if you wanted those items at those times... Also, there is not a coca-cola freestyle machine.

Personally, I am not a big fan of upcharge restaurants, regardless of line (don't like Palo on DCL, etc.). I think the fear is that lines are dumbing down included offerings to push you to upcharge places, NCL maybe being the biggest example of this.

Because, the burger at JR's is better than anything they serve in the Windjammer(buffet) and the food is much better at the one's on the ships than the ones on land. We've eaten at JR's in Nashville, Orlando, Alexandria VA, Ashburn VA and 3 on RCI ships. Hands down, the shipboard ones are much better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter