Will not stay at Poly again

Any similar experiences at Poly?

• Total voters
We stayed for a couple of nights (last minute trip) during the holidays and was very excited about staying at Poly for the first time. I was hoping for DVC villas at Poly for a long time....

Let me, first, say that the resort is gorgeous and absolutely beautiful. We've only ever dined at Ohana and Kona and rarely had time to look around the resort. Anyway, we booked a Lakeview studio with a request of high floor. And I understand that it's just a request. We were given a first floor studio very close to the TTC. Each morning at 6am we were startled awake with a loud machine just outside our patio. Once the sound started to move farther away and it felt like it may be quiet again to go back to sleep, CMs walked back and forth and possibly congregated at some point near our patio since we can clearly hear them discussing things...They didn't seem to be shouting, I suppose it was just very loud and possibly echoing...Once they left. It was quite again and then the horns started and the boat announcements began...This happened both mornings.

What we learned is that we cannot book Lakeview again since we are not willing to take the risk of getting the first floor at Poly again. We decided that we would only book standard view next time and request away from the TTC. I understand many are not bothered by this and most even welcome the sounds (because it's Disney), but we're not those people. We like quiet and I suppose we foolishly thought we would be fine at the Poly Lakeviews.

Needless to say, I changed our upcoming Poly Lakeview (10 nights) to another resort. I have spoken to the Front Desk CM and DVC member services about our experiences. I was told by the front desk that they have heard a lot of complaints about the horns and will be doing something about it. Not sure if that's true...

When I discussed my concerns with MS, they were very apologetic and genuinely concerned about my experience. I did suggest that they re-catergorize the Lakeview first floor rooms as a different category...perhaps less points that Standard views. This way, if you book a Lakeview, you will at least know that you will be assigned to a villa above the first floor. This will also guarantee those who enjoy the first floor to get the rooms they want....Hey perhaps they can do this for all resorts. I may be in the minority on this, but I would be willing to pay a couple of points more per night (to guarantee a NON-ground/first floor) to offset the First Floor Category for each night.

We stayed for a couple of nights (last minute trip) during the holidays and was very excited about staying at Poly for the first time. I was hoping for DVC villas at Poly for a long time....

Let me, first, say that the resort is gorgeous and absolutely beautiful. We've only ever dined at Ohana and Kona and rarely had time to look around the resort. Anyway, we booked a Lakeview studio with a request of high floor. And I understand that it's just a request. We were given a first floor studio very close to the TTC. Each morning at 6am we were startled awake with a loud machine just outside our patio. Once the sound started to move farther away and it felt like it may be quiet again to go back to sleep, CMs walked back and forth and possibly congregated at some point near our patio since we can clearly hear them discussing things...They didn't seem to be shouting, I suppose it was just very loud and possibly echoing...Once they left. It was quite again and then the horns started and the boat announcements began...This happened both mornings.

What we learned is that we cannot book Lakeview again since we are not willing to take the risk of getting the first floor at Poly again. We decided that we would only book standard view next time and request away from the TTC. I understand many are not bothered by this and most even welcome the sounds (because it's Disney), but we're not those people. We like quiet and I suppose we foolishly thought we would be fine at the Poly Lakeviews.

Needless to say, I changed our upcoming Poly Lakeview (10 nights) to another resort. I have spoken to the Front Desk CM and DVC member services about our experiences. I was told by the front desk that they have heard a lot of complaints about the horns and will be doing something about it. Not sure if that's true...

When I discussed my concerns with MS, they were very apologetic and genuinely concerned about my experience. I did suggest that they re-catergorize the Lakeview first floor rooms as a different category...perhaps less points that Standard views. This way, if you book a Lakeview, you will at least know that you will be assigned to a villa above the first floor. This will also guarantee those who enjoy the first floor to get the rooms they want....Hey perhaps they can do this for all resorts. I may be in the minority on this, but I would be willing to pay a couple of points more per night (to guarantee a NON-ground/first floor) to offset the First Floor Category for each night.

We just recently returned from a stay in a lake view studio at the Poly. Our experience was similar to yours. However, we were on the second floor, near the TTC (room 2033). We woke to the noises of the beach rakers, leaf blowers, and the ferry boat horns. We could hear the announcements on the ferry boats. We could hear conversations in the hallways, adjacent rooms, and on the pathways. It was a very noisy room, but we still had a great time!

We just returned from a 5 night stay in standard view on second floor at Pago Pago. Although it was beautiful and very convenient to the TTC, the noise from construction and the beeping from vehicles as they backed up was not pleasant before 7am. Seems like the walls are paper thin there.

Thank you for that. I've been a member for 16 years and am bringing my best friend for only the 2nd time. For the first time, staying at the Poly Villas thinking it was going to be amazing. This board kinda killed that for me. That being said, we own at BWV and the sound of the horns never bothered us, just reminded us we were in our happy place, even before 7 a.m.!

Thank you for that. I've been a member for 16 years and am bringing my best friend for only the 2nd time. For the first time, staying at the Poly Villas thinking it was going to be amazing. This board kinda killed that for me. That being said, we own at BWV and the sound of the horns never bothered us, just reminded us we were in our happy place, even before 7 a.m.!

You can DEFINITELY hear the horns from Lake View rooms. We are rope droppers, so we are up early anyway. We mostly stay at BCV and AKV, but if not for the higher point requirements PVB would be my first choice now.

You can DEFINITELY hear the horns from Lake View rooms. We are rope droppers, so we are up early anyway. We mostly stay at BCV and AKV, but if not for the higher point requirements PVB would be my first choice now.

It wasn't the horns that bothered us. Although we heard them, the horns are part of the "charm" of the resort for us. But, the leaf blower and the beach raking noises were a different story. Those noises were not "charming." Even though it was noisy, we still have reservations to return and don't plan on changing them. The noises are definitely a negative for those of us that do not wake up early on vacation. But, the positives outweigh the negatives for us!

I really like poly. Just came back from my first time there... Std room north end Tokelau. Like it so much I'm hoping to switch my 2bd at BLT on dec 3rd to 2 studios at poly.

Just bring a white noise machine. Walls are paper thin but the resort was awesome

Let me first say that we have spent a total of 11 nights at Poly this year on two different trips one in July the other this past week during Thanksgiving... I must point out that the room renovations are fantastic, they are spacious, the second shower is extremely convenient and the over all property looks amazing. However the level of noise before 9am from the Maintenance and Landscape departments shocking. During our stay this past week we were in room 1036, first floor Lake view. EVERY morning at 6:50am there was a worker riding a small tractor raking the beaches!! He started on the Ticket and Transportation side of the property and worked his way to the boat landing. Took him about an hour. Then around 8:15 am he started his Leaf blower and blew the sand that was tracked on to the sidewalks from his Tractor wheels and blew it all back to the beach. Now, I completely understand maintaining the property to our expectations, but starting at 6:50am in my opinion is unnessasary. During our stay in July, our family was woken 5 consecutive days before 9am with these landscaping and maintenance activities. Grass mowing, tree trimming, pressure washing our sliding glass door on a Sunday morning, which startled each of us when the pressure washer come across the door, ear blowers.
I'm sharing our experience because if you are a family who takes advantage of the late night extended Magic Hours, you might want to book another property other then Poly, because you will be awakened early the next morning.
And yes, I brought our experience to the Manger on Duty as well as an email after our visit. We received no return email.

Should be about ready to leave your room for the day at this time anyway.

If you enjoyed the rest of the Poly, which I find beautiful, I might gently suggest some earplugs. I've never used them as noise doesn't usually bother me, but I know a lot of people who use them when traveling. I stayed at the Hotel del Coronado resort in California one time, and they dumped the garbage at 2 Am, wow, what a wake up call!

I just wanted to note that this is not the only hotel where one can be awoken around 6am by maintenance. I was woken up 2 of the 4 mornings we stayed at AKL by pressure washing of the pool deck. I am a light sleeper so was the only one who could not sleep through it. I was very grumpy to say the least, especially because I traveled from the west coast.

I just wanted to note that this is not the only hotel where one can be awoken around 6am by maintenance. I was woken up 2 of the 4 mornings we stayed at AKL by pressure washing of the pool deck. I am a light sleeper so was the only one who could not sleep through it. I was very grumpy to say the least, especially because I traveled from the west coast.

But was it EVERY morning?

I have had awful loud rooms before where there were early morning noise from maintenance in the hall or outside, but it wasn't every morning at 6am.

This issue should really be addressed. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the CMs at the front desk of Poly did mention that they received several complaints and that they have plans to do something...although, I'm not sure what. At least they acknowledge that it is an issue. For us, I just know not to book Lakeview until something changes.

But was it EVERY morning?

I have had awful loud rooms before where there were early morning noise from maintenance in the hall or outside, but it wasn't every morning at 6am.

This issue should really be addressed. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the CMs at the front desk of Poly did mention that they received several complaints and that they have plans to do something...although, I'm not sure what. At least they acknowledge that it is an issue. For us, I just know not to book Lakeview until something changes.
I believe they do the power washing most mornings but the location shifts. If it was on the deck on other side of the pool, it was far enough away so as not to wake me.

1). When we stayed we could hear the opening song at MK from our bungalow (er, lake) view 2nd floor room like we were there.

2). The tractor should be electric, not gas powered that would improve that situation by 70%

3). In general, it's just a loud resort. On the other hand there are many others that are far quieter. Problem is, I'm not sure how many DVC'ers are willing to pay the point cost and tolerate the noise level.

VGF, BLT, & VWL are all considerably quieter DVC options in the MK area -- especially the original VWL ( we'll see if that holds true after the current construction...)

I believe they do the power washing most mornings but the location shifts. If it was on the deck on other side of the pool, it was far enough away so as not to wake me.

I think I can handle that if they were not directly beside my room. Staying on the first floor of Moorea (only a few rooms from the TTC), as well as having the CMs were very close to our patio, it was quite loud. But the horn and the announcements were just as disturbing. So, as I said, definitely not for us in the future.

As an aside, I noticed that you said AKL...We've stayed at the AKV portion of Jambo and found it to be one of the quietest locations. Even the one time our room opened up to the main lobby, the noise was less disturbing than what we experienced in the Poly. I do attribute most of that to being on the first floor. Perhaps if we had a room on the 3rd or 4th floor, even in the same area, the noise would be less disturbing. Not sure, but not going to find out. If we choose to stay there again, I would try have to book the Standard view or not stay there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter