Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2023 (Nov. 2-5, 2023)

Starting to get a little nervous - only 4 more mail delivery days until I leave. Anyone know if Disney will replace a ticket that hasn't been received? (Still don't understand why they can't just send e-tickets rather than physical cards).
It's beyond me why they still do paper tickets for this event as well. It seems like a such a waste of money to print and mail all of them when most of us would rather just link them to our MDE anyway. The tickets are cute and all, but not worth the hassle and headache IMO.

Anyone else not realize until now that the day of the half marathon is “Fall back” daylight savings ends?? Technically an extra hour of sleep but I feel like a hassle from a logistics standpoint for a race day!
I hadn’t realized - you just made my day!

Anyone else not realize until now that the day of the half marathon is “Fall back” daylight savings ends?? Technically an extra hour of sleep but I feel like a hassle from a logistics standpoint for a race day!
Logistics shouldn't really be a problem. For example, set your alarm for 2:01 am if you ordinarily wake up at 2:00 on race day. That way, your phone (assuming that you set an alarm on your phone) will wake you at the accurate time since the time change occurs at 2:00 am.

Logistics shouldn't really be a problem. For example, set your alarm for 2:01 am if you ordinarily wake up at 2:00 on race day. That way, your phone (assuming that you set an alarm on your phone) will wake you at the accurate time since the time change occurs at 2:00 am.
Or manually change the time the night before if you want to wake up before 2am

Happens every year

Every year. And always a hassle for me, because ideally, I’d be getting up at 1:45am. But if I set an alarm for that, I’m up an hour too early. I’ve tried changing the time on my phone manually, but my phone overrode it and changed on its own at 2am anyway. I used to have an old analog travel clock and I used its alarm instead, but it died. Last year, I think I just gave in and set my alarm for 2:02am and rolled the dice… still got to the race on time, so I guess I’ll do that again. 100% chance I’ll still panic when I see the time in my car - though I now have a new car and for all I know it might change itself. Then I can be extra confused lol! I can also guarantee I won’t trust my phone at 2am and will turn on the TV to a 24hr news station to see what time they’re showing.

Every year. And always a hassle for me, because ideally, I’d be getting up at 1:45am. But if I set an alarm for that, I’m up an hour too early. I’ve tried changing the time on my phone manually, but my phone overrode it and changed on its own at 2am anyway. I used to have an old analog travel clock and I used its alarm instead, but it died. Last year, I think I just gave in and set my alarm for 2:02am and rolled the dice… still got to the race on time, so I guess I’ll do that again. 100% chance I’ll still panic when I see the time in my car - though I now have a new car and for all I know it might change itself. Then I can be extra confused lol! I can also guarantee I won’t trust my phone at 2am and will turn on the TV to a 24hr news station to see what time they’re showing.

Try setting a timer instead of your alarm. Someone recommended it last year and it works perfectly!

Yeah I didn’t mean personal logistics, I meant like for race staff, bus drivers, etc. when all that starts right at 2. I also didn’t realize it happens every year so they should be experts now 😬

Starting to get a little nervous - only 4 more mail delivery days until I leave. Anyone know if Disney will replace a ticket that hasn't been received? (Still don't understand why they can't just send e-tickets rather than physical cards).

You're in Ontario right? They don't mail them internationally. Last year I went to the ticket counter at the Expo and they gave me an e-ticket

Has there been any discussion about the ADW changes in here? I may have missed it since I'm not running and don't follow this thread as closely.

I’ve only seen the AWD discussions on FB. It’s a freaking mess.

For anyone not in the loop, only wheels start early now. All other AWD athletes used to start (I think) in between corrals B & C. Now they are being made to start in their assigned corrals.

On the time change: For me, the worst part was the sun dawning an hour earlier. I trained to get out of the overpass-no-shade areas before the sun was going to be fully overhead and blazing. I recommend preparing for an earlier sunrise and whatever that means for your body. I needed sunglasses and a teeny tiny bottle of sunscreen.

It’s a freaking mess.

That's my impression as well! Last minute changes and incomplete communication - what could possibly go wrong here?

I'm not an AWD athlete, but here's my uneducated take: Almost everyone acknowledges (except perhaps runDisney) that the courses get more crowded as time goes on. I think releasing people who might need extra space (due to running with a guide or a piece of equipment or whatever) earlier makes it easier and safer for them and, frankly, for every other runner. For instance, I love dogs! But jamming a service dog into a regular corral - perhaps next to someone who is deathly afraid of dogs - is asking for trouble.

I hope that it won't turn out as bad as people fear, but my heart goes out to all of the AWD athletes who have to be very stressed by not knowing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter