wireless internet help!

Megster

Mouseketeer<br><font color="red">Missed all the go
I set up a linksys router in my house last night since we are now a 4 computer household (1 desktop 3 laptops). My parents are very concerned with computer safety and all that stuff so that want to put a password on our internet signal. Basically they want it so that when someone tries to connect to our signal they have to enter a password. When I set up the router last night it asked for password, but I'm not exactly sure what thats for. I'm a little nervous to just start clicking on options because as of right now the internet is working on all computers, its just not secure. Any help that you guys could give for how set this up/change it/whatever would be greatly appreciated!!!! thanks!

You probably want to turn on the WEP security ... once you do that, you'll probably have to change the corresponding settings on all the computers. The password you already set is the router password ... that is, the password to get into the Linksys administration webpage.

where do I turn that on? on the admin webpage?
I hate that I get stuck doing this and I don't even live here!

Yes, you'd do it on the admin webpage.

(sorry ... I have a tendancy to slip up a bit and start speeking geek ... 10 years in tech support tends to do that to me)

ok I found it -
so it says my security mode is WEP. And then I have my encryption on 128 bit. But then it says something about a key and a passphrase. Should I make something up?

oh and then how do I change the security setting on the other computers? (sorry that I'm being really annoying about this! but you really are helping!!) :flower:

To change the setting on the other computers ... go into the control panel, then network settings, then wireless settings.

If I'm remembering correctly (it's been a long time since I've setup a wireless network), you put in the passphrase, and it will generate the key for you ... you'll then either be able to copy the passphrase or the key that it generates, and put that in the security settings on each of the computers.

ok so does the wireless network wizard have anything to do with what I'm doing. Cause that says it helps tos et up a security-enabled network which is what I want - but will that mess up my router. I hate not understanding stuff and not knowing what to do!!!

If all your computers can handle it, I would recommend using thw WPA security feature instead of the WEP. It is the more current one and the more secure.

one laptop can't handle WPA. but I figured it out last night and everything is all set The only problem we have now is that the password is 26 characters. But when I enter the passphrase it tells me I have no connectivity to the signal. oh well - I"m just glad I didn't break anything!

Megster said:
one laptop can't handle WPA. but I figured it out last night and everything is all set The only problem we have now is that the password is 26 characters. But when I enter the passphrase it tells me I have no connectivity to the signal. oh well - I"m just glad I didn't break anything!

Remembering a little more clearly, the router uses the passphrase to generate the password ("key") ... the client software (on the computers you're using) doesn't recognize the passphrase, it'll only recognize the "key" that is generated. So, yes, it may be 26 characters long ... copy carefully!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter