• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of Dec 4--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Just back from WDW so need to unpack. Realized the next time we go, we'll be going for the race! That's what I was thinking the whole way through EPCOT and MK on Sat...next time, it'll be during the half :scared1:

Of course, I spent the whole weekend eating so I'll be focusing on nutrition this week! Anyone else feel like they don't tolerate sweets anymore since they started training? I had a sundae at BW last night and was craving protein after I ate it...just seemed way too sweet.

Congrats to everyone on their LRs and races this weekend! I promise not to whine about poor training conditions anymore ;) Given the choice between 8 or 18 miles on the TM and training outside in the snow, I think I'd give it all up for an afternoon on the couch with some hot cocoa!

Have a good week everyone!

Welcome back, Mel! Hope you had a great time!

BTW -- quick question. I don't remember if Disney gives out tee shirts like all the other 5Ks, 1/2s and fulls I've read about. If so, does anyone have any idea what it looks like? SS? or LS? I think I remember that my packet says XL on it next to my age, but my mind is totally blank (not good, considering I am work with about another 20 potential hours worth of work to do! :earseek: )

The shirt from this year's 1/2 marathon was in the bag I picked up at the expo with my bid number and chip. It is a long sleeve coolmax shirt. The front had " Walt Disney World 1/2 marathon January 9, 2005" with donald duck. One sleeve has the names of all the parks on it. The back has the main sponsors on it.

The Event Info section of the website says:
"Registration fee into the Walt Disney World® Marathon includes:
Race entry
Official Race Program
Commemorative Race Performance Shirt
Entry into the post-race celebration and awards
All finishers will receive:

Finisher Medal
Certificate
Official Race Recap
I have not found any info about the shirt other than that.

Thanks, guys! I realize now that I looked at the finishers receive list and didnt' see the shirt there -- that is why I was :confused3 Now I understand it is included in registration, as other races do. Thanks for the description of last year's shirt -- sounds awesome! Of course, I need the one Lily got last year that says "I DID IT!" :teeth:

Hello - blimey I have just waded through 91 posts from the end of last week, so no way can I remember everyone's questions but a) yes training is making me fatter too b) no you're not the last person to get your packet, I still don't have mine c) Tiff (aha, I remembered a name) I'm getting blisters on my blisters at the moment - but it helps if you tape your toes/sides of feet with strapping tape before you run. It stops them hurting while you run and eliminates some of the damage during. I'm now also wearing Nike padded running socks under my thicker running socks to give a double layer and that really seems to be helping too.

This weekend was my first 20 miler - it was good (am I alone in finding that worrying). It took me 3.50 with one 3 minute walk break and one 7 minute and I was stiff afterwards but no real pain. I do however stink of icy hot today though as my hip is a bit painy - I think I did that sitting still on the kayak yesterday though, I think it all stiffened up.

I am however most concerned about my ability to run this thing without weeping - I ran past the local santa parade at about mile 16 and had tears pouring down my face. This thing is three floats, two marching bands and a couple of stray dogs, what on earth am I going to be like when I see Tigger! Helen

Helen--sounds like a good run! I had tears last year. Sadly--they were not of joy :(.

Kathcoll (hope I spelled that right): :wizard: that you are able to find healing with your medical issues.

I completed my LW today. :cold: :cold: :cold: It snowed lightly for the whole time I was out. It was 24 when I started and 28 2 hrs later when I finished. I managed a 15.18 average pace because I seem to have crawled for mile 7. Here are my splits.
mile 1 13.41
mile 2 14.04
mile 3 15.04
mile 4 14.05
mile 5 15.46
mile 6 15.48
mile 7 18.17
mile 8 15.33
cooldowm 15.33

Mile 3 included part of the trail that was still snow covered and slippery. From mile 5 on I didn't include any running segments. i just wanted to finish as my legs were cold from the time I got out of the car until i finished. My left leg was also went half-way to the knee. Note sure why the right leg didn't get wet also. My upper body got cold during mile 3. My hands even got cold and I was wearing golves. They were so cold I dropped my key in the snow trying to to unlock the car door.

Next week I will have to dress warmer for my 6 miles. I can't imagine the weather changing much.

Kathy -- I give you a lot of credit for doing that in your weather conditions. :worship: I chickened out yesterday due to the cold and did my 8 on a TM. Congratulations!

NYcpa - Great job in the snow!!! Hope you have warmed up by now! :sunny:

Helen - Awesome job on the 20 miles!!! By the way, I'm taking kleenex because I will be bawling like a baby... I remember last year's 1/2 going down Contemporary Hill and seeing the sign overhead with Hercules that said "GO THE DISTANCE" - still gets me teary-eyed! :goodvibes Then that night we watched Wishes, and that song started playing - yup, more crying!!! ;)

I did my 12 miles yesterday, and the knee felt pretty good! Yea!!! I wore my brace, and tried to go into and out of the run intervals on the other leg. 14 min pace, so I think all is good!

DH's run was another story, though... He had DS in the "bicycle" aka jogging stroller, and was having a hard time from the start but didn't know why. Around mile 6 he realized the tire was flat. That meant he had to push the broken stroller and DS six miles back to the house, including up and over an overpass. He was not very happy when he got home... :rolleyes1 However, he got a good upper body workout in the process! ;)

Hope everyone has a relaxing end to their weekend! Here's hoping for a packet in tomorrow's mailbox!!! :wizard:

Helen - you are definitely in trouble! If i could run as fast as you, we could cry together!

Lisa - I am no genius on the whole technology of the tight, but i got some last year b/c my knee was always hurting and it seemed like a good idea. I'll post a link so you can read up on them

Link to tights

This a link of where you can buy them, there is a link on the backcountry page to cw-x to explain the purpose of the design.

I rode 14 miles on my bike today. I wanted to do 20, but the wind was so strong I couldn't do it. My legs ache a little today after the 5 mile walk/run yesterday and the 14 mile bike ride this morning. Tomorrow is a big day for me at work so cross your fingers and send :wizard: that everything goes well.

Have a great week everyone!

Please tell me WHY we are subjecting ourselves to this torture?? :confused3

I did a half marathon today. Yep 13.1 miles. First time ever. Wasn't a race, just my scheduled long wog (although i was hoping to do 17).

It was Murphy's Law from the start. Woke up to find snow and ice covering the streets. :earseek: Clean off the car and my property, dropped the dog at the groomers and headed to church (should've said a prayer for my workout :rolleyes: ).

After Church, went to pick up the :dog: but she wasn't ready yet. Waited about 20 minutes. Took her home, got myself ready and drove to the place where I run. The path was okay, just a little slippery in spots. For the first 1 1/2 miles my shins hurt, but I knew that would pass. Finished 8.5 miles in 2 hours flat. I was :Pinkbounc for joy. That was 2 minutes faster than I had ever done before. It was downhill from there. Mile 9 took me almost 25 minutes to get through. My legs felt dead, my back hurt, I just barely kept moving forward. Ate a Snickers marathon bar, which seemed to help a little. At mile 11 I passed the spot where my car was. Grabbed a bottle of water and a banana. Felt better after that. Finally finished in a total time of 3:10.58 for 13.1 miles (according to my Garmin).

Now my whole body aches. I've stretched twice since I got home. Getting up after sitting is an adventure. Ate dinner and now feel like I could puke. I know I still have a couple of weeks before my taper, but I'm getting nervous that I won't be able to finish the full :sad: I am ready to just jump into bed and crash for the night.

So why do we subject ourselves to this? Oh yeah -I WANT THAT GOOFY MEDAL!!!

Terri
(pity party is now over!)

Lynne, Beautiful pics! I agree, You do need to be involved in exracurricular things. We definitely need more docs to understand our pains and struggles. (Not that I wish any of these pains or struggles on you)

kathcoll, prayers and PD to you that your medical issues are resolved in an easy and successful manner. It is great that you are recommended to continue with the race walking. Hope that we can see you at the event next year, and even this year for the half.

Mel, I like those tights too. They come in all lengths! Hmmm wish I had a bottomless reserve of cash flow for this sport.

Sunny, I love that idea of the fitness machines with memory. They have it at a private gym, but I would have to travel farther than the one I go to for it. It is almost worth the travel in my mind, but I won't do it. I'm always talking it up around here though.

Christa, sorry you are sore today and needing to care for a wee one. Hope all feel better tomorrow.

Terri, sorry about your experience.

And now for my news:
I did it!
Well, not the real "It," but my 18 miler LR. The farthest I've ever gone! It wasn't pretty toward the end but I came in at 16:15 pace. I know as these last 8 miles are looming, that I will probably slow for them significantly so the bets aren't in yet which way I will sway for the event. I am getting closer to really doing it, and growing more stressed too. (But a good stressed I think) I feel much better than the 16 miler I did 2 weeks ago, so I guess that my body did need to recouperate. Now the test will be how I feel tomorrow.

Oh and did I mention I did it on the Dreaded TM! :earseek: Yup! I read about a quarter of the book Three to Get Deadly (evanovich), All of IRobot, and then I struggled so just quit reading or watching TV. Whew! I even took a cold soak brrr!

TEK224 said:
Please tell me WHY we are subjecting ourselves to this torture?? :confused3

47b5df30b3127cce9e449da00f8200000015108Ibs2jhozb4

It's all about the medal! :teeth:

Lisa - I know. I really want that Goofy medal. I'm just nervous about how and if I will be able to finish. Hoping my body will adapt.

A few things I learned today:

Fuel up - I think that was why I had the problem at mile 9-10. Just needed some more fuel.

Don't forget the tissues! I did. So does it make me an athlete if I just blew my nose on the ground? (Just like the pix I sometimes see in Runners World mag or the tri-mags? :rolleyes:

Get out of the car gingerly after driving home from a long walk/run. :)

Terri

Hi all............... been gone a while I was just wondering.................
will you all be running...............walking..............or both?

renee

TEK224 said:
So does it make me an athlete if I just blew my nose on the ground? (Just like the pix I sometimes see in Runners World mag or the tri-mags? :rolleyes:

Terri

Oh yeah, go for it! ::yes:: After 9 or 10 miles, anything goes in my book! Boogers on the ground and horking...it is all part of the journey! Gotta love this sport. :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter