• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wk of Nov 27--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Hey Cam :wave:

I don't know any other great sources for those same type dual-layer shorts - they seem to be kind of an exclusive thing for them although I am sure someone else makes something similar. I have two ideas for your though.

1) Ebay - found several pairs in the Ebay stores listing for prices ranging from $17.50 - $24.99. The ones currently listed all seem to come from one seller whose shipping rates aren't great but are better than junonia.com. The shipping rates are $5.xx for parcel post and around $6 for priority. With the lower price on the item, it might make up for the still-high shipping. I don't know what color/size you need but I would guess it is worth a try to see what they have.

2) I found a coupon code for $10 off first purchase of $50 or more. So if you haven''t purchased from them before (or could sign up Howard or someone else :) ) then this link would save you the cost of shipping and a bit more. I looked for other coupon codes without restrictions (i.e. not just for new customers) but didn't find any. You may, however, find it worthwhile to google for junonio coupon codes as there were plenty of results found and you may find something I missed.

http://www.gotapex.com/coupon-codes/338.phtml

Those shorts look pretty cool - if you end up buying them I'd love to hear how you like them.

Have a great evening everyone - big congrats to all those who got in their LRs today! I'll be doing my 8 mile LR tomorrow - hope it goes well! I put lots of new holiday music on my ipod so that should be a fun change!

Congratulations, Christa! What an amazingly awesome time! Good job to the kids, too! :banana:

Rhonda -- You are such a sweetie! Thank you for researching that for me. Brilliant minds think alike ;) I actually made a "best offer" on a pair of those shorts (in a funky color that will be okay for training but would clash big-time with my WISH shirt! :teeth: ) from that ebay seller. Got them for $15 plus shipping. And am hoping to be training in them by late week and will then make a decision whether to bite the bullet and buy them from the website for the 1/2 in black. I'll let you know how they work. I am definitely going to pursue your find on the coupon, though. I am sure I can find a friend to place the order for me. Thanks again and good luck on your 8 miles. I have to say, a lot of christmas music makes me teary, so I'd have to be selective of what to put in my workout mix! :goodvibes

Lisa -- I can't believe anyone would sell their bib! :confused3: At least no one here. We have all worked so hard! I am seriously considering having mine framed with my finisher picture and a copy of my pre- and post-heart surgery EKGs. ;)

"No other road. No other way. No day but today." A mantra that will be in my head training for the 1/2, courtesy of the awesome, awesome RENT soundtrack.

Melissa -- I can't wait to hear what you think of RENT. My next highly anticipated movie is Narnia!

Christa :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: I signed on specifically to see if you had posted your results :grouphug: Great job! Sounds like you are TOTALLY ready to take on Goofy!

Lisa-- Pedicure?!?! You've got to be kidding me! I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy :rotfl2: I cringe even goint to the dr and having to have my feet seen!

Cam-- New song to add to the list (I've actually recommend this one before, but not this specific version) Mad World (Money-G Remix) by Jan Wayne. I've soared to new heights with this one!!!!!!

I made an apt for a fitness evaluation at the Y so I can sign up for the FitLynx (the machines have an electronic key pad that you enter your ID and it keeps track of your progress for you). Can't Wait!

Sunny

keenercam said:
Lisa -- I can't believe anyone would sell their bib! :confused3: At least no one here. We have all worked so hard! I am seriously considering having mine framed with my finisher picture and a copy of my pre- and post-heart surgery EKGs. ;)

"

As much as I would love to say I don't understand who would sell their bib - I think I have a clue. Someone who in good faith registered, trained, and is now in the position of being out of the race through no fault of their own - and out all that registration fee!
I thought having a deferment for health reasons meant you could run next year, registration prepaid by the deferment - wrong. It means you are guaranteed the right to enter - just like everyone else who goes on the website early enough! You lose all the money you paid this year if you can not compete this year.

a recent routine physical has found i may have coronary artery disease - further testing needed. But a stress test done as a routine because of my age (56) was okay except my blood pressure jumped from 110/70 to 190/110. And my cholesterol jumped from 150s last year to 230.
This may help explain my excessive exhaustion after my long runs lately.

Bottomline - I'm one sometimes participant on this thread who understands why someone would try to recoup some of the cost of the bibs that may well be worthless to me now. On the brighter side, if I can slow down and keep my HR under control I might be able to do the half, anyway. After my cardiac CT later this month I'll know if that is a possible goal.

On the brighter side - doc says my racewalking probably has prevented further damage and recommends keeping RWing in my lifestyle - just no longer than an hour for now (not to the point of exhaustion) and keep my heartrate under 65% (thank God for my monitor!). And a routine physical has pointed out need for further workup and maybe saved my life (women who have heart attacks are less likely to survive than men so no warning could have been a disaster.

Training grounds aka where I live:
P5310010.jpg

moonrise at low tide
P4170013.jpg

Audobon lands just up the way
P8140154.jpg

Nice pretty white sand.
Oh wait, that's snow.(It is a nice sand beach too)
P4020002.jpg

Allison, Maureen, Zach, and myself before the West Kennebunk Fire Triathlon in August.
Allison also did the half in Portland w/ me, Maureen did the Colby Tri too plus she's my next door neighbor so often is involved in 'study break' activites, and Zach also did Pedro's Mtn Fest and went to DC for the conference and to do medical at the Marine Corps Marathon. I've probably been the worst offender for other activities this year so far but am definitely not the only one. Hey, you wouldn't want a doctor that all they did was study would you? That would be one boring person and would probably act like dumb dumb that Sunny saw.

plutosmyfav said:
Cam-- New song to add to the list (I've actually recommend this one before, but not this specific version) Mad World (Money-G Remix) by Jan Wayne. I've soared to new heights with this one!!!!!!
Thanks, Sunny! I'll look for it. I love Jan Wayne's version of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" You really have to consider adding "RENT" from the movie soundtrack to your mix. It is great high-energy!

plutosmyfav said:
I made an apt for a fitness evaluation at the Y so I can sign up for the FitLynx (the machines have an electronic key pad that you enter your ID and it keeps track of your progress for you). Can't Wait!

Wish our Y had this! I often find myself coming back to these threads or my journal to track my progress. My Garmin helps for the outside stuff. Have fun!

BTW -- on the pedicure issue -- DD17 has done indoor colorguard the past three winters and worked up some impressive callouses for her "floor work" and was adamant that those callouses actually protected her feet from injury on the floor.

xterratri - Love the pics!

kathcoll - So sorry for your news. Hope everything turns out good and you can still do the half.

Thanks for all the congrats! I am sore today and had to stay home from church with DD5. She had a temp of 100. :earseek: Runner yesterday...very sore mommy today. :earboy2:
Anyway, how do I get pictures on here. Ron sent me some on email and I have tried to figure it out, but could not. Want you to see me and Bree in the marathon.

Christa

MelRhoads said:
Christa - Way to go!!! That is a great time!!!!!!!

Lisa - would some compression tights work for you? CWX makes tights that actually provide compression to the areas around the knee and to the calf. I have a pair that i wear frequently and have pretty much demolished in the adv. races. I'm getting a new pair for christmas to wear for goofy. They may not provide enough compression for your knee, but it would be cool if they did.

This could work. My compression stocking was kind of like tights for just my knee. Where would I find these at? (Are these those tights that people wear for vericose veins or something different?)

Just an FYI on the bib-sale/purchase....this was an unsolicited offer I received and was meant as a warning to my fellow WISHers to not be tempted by a stranger. What you do with your bib and perhaps someone you know is between you and them. But I was just giving a heads up that I was unsolicited. And even more disturbing, I think the poster followed me from another forum b/c i spoke openly about my knee over there. I would assume I am the only one they contact and find it highly suspcious. It just tinks my bell that this person doesn't know me nor my determination and was trying get me on a weak spot. And further more--they are trianing for goofy and only registered for one event. So they can't even do goofy even if they bought the bib.

I hope that makes clear sense.

I can understand wanting to recoup your costs...but since it would not be a Disney-recognized transaction...you assume personal liability for the person who takes your place. So unless you know them--I stand by my statement..do not take an unsolicited offer from a complete stranger. You don't want to end up with a lawsuit.

I mean if they can find a homeowner liable for a burgler slipping on a puddle in the kitchen after they broke into a home--they can find a person who was only trying to get their money back liable for a runner should they become sick or injured during an event.

Sunny--I agree on the pedicure...just felt bad that someone got one and now they are having hot spots and was just warning all in case they didn't know to not get one at all. :)

Lidsa, I definitely understand (and appreciate) the liability heads-up. And I have no intention of selling my Goofy bibs - even if I can't do the whole thing I'm hoping to at least get the medical clearance for the half. I figure I'll at least get 2 decent training shirts from my investment. And I still have 2 weeks at my time share to enjoy in January!

I just wish the deferment meant what I have always thought it meant - if medically unable to compete, enrollment deferred til next year. As it turns out, I have misunderstood that term all along - it seems most major national events treat deferment the same. Its MY misunderstanding of the term not a problem with Disney policy.

And I'm just starting to come to terms with not only the sudden end to my Goofy challenge plans, but to the realization that despite losing 80 pounds in 3 years and going from a couch potato to a 2 time marathoner in the past year, I am potentially still at risk from previously unsuspected coronary disease. A scary thing to have found out just yesterday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter