Wk of Nov 27--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Melissa -- I am a blubbering mess at sad movies and RENT definitely made me cry at times (and all the teenage girls around me were sobbing all over each other!), but the message is beautiful and the music is awesome! We took Andy and worried about his exposure to some of the themes (he's 12), but he was very mature and LOVED it and desperately wants the soundtrack.

After some careful consideration and a look at the weather channel (it was 27 without the windchill), I decided to do my 8 mile walk on the treadmill. Did 8.03 in 1:59:14 (14:51 pace). The good thing about the TM is that it is relentless and unforgiving and you can't slow down when there is a lapse in your attention span or when you are tired -- you actually have to consider whether to kick the speed down a notch, and I can usually talk myself out of doing that. The bad thing about the TM is that it is relentless and unforgiving and you can't slow down when there is a lapse in your attention span or when you are tired -- you actually have to consider whether to kick the speed down a notch, and I usually talk myself out of doing that. ;) Yeah, as you can see, I am still a bit undecided as to whether that is a good thing or bad thing! :confused3 After all, the plan called for 8 miles (the faster you do it, the sooner you are done. Now, if it had called for 2 hours, my attitude might have been a little more relaxed! :rotfl2:

I did a powerbar a bit later than I wanted (1/2 while walking into the gym and then 1/4 at about 1/2 hour and another 1/4 at 1 hour) Also did "shots" of honey at 1:20 and 1:40. The powerbar definitely helped. Probably needed a second one since I hadn't done breakfast, but when all was said and done, I think I learned some stuff that works. I was voracious when I was finished and didn't wait to eat. Stopped at the first place I saw and got a bagel with ham and egg and cheese. Very satisfying. Still doing okay almost 4 hours later (at work) as far as hunger.

Developed "hot spots" on the inside of my foot back near the heel on both feet. I was wearing my new sneakers (same style, etc) but I think the socks were a bad choice and I won't use them again for a long session. I am having some soreness in my right hip, but I think it is the result of my gait. Not much to be done about it. Will take some aleve and see how it is in a couple of hours. Should have done that a while ago, but had an impromptu partners meeting (quasi! ;) )

Sunny -- thought about you this morning when I listened to my awesome scooter & O-Zone mix. I can definitely see how that kind of music can get you going faster than you would otherwise! :cool1: I bumped up the TM speed .1 - .2 for short bursts during those songs and when I found myself tiring, I rewound to start that segment of my mix again to re-energize myself. Thanks again for the great suggestions. I still always check itunes for dance and electronic and have found some other fun stuff including a club re-mix of "total eclipse of the heart" (one of my favorite songs)

I hope everyone else had a similarly satisfying session this morning! :banana:

The most positive part of today's 18 mile LR is that it's over. Unfortunately, I'm already dreading the 20 in less than 2 weeks. I had planned on moving the 20 to Thurs that week because Fri and Sat are full but may actually do it Sunday at the World depending on the forecast. I don't think my body appreciates below freezing temps before you add in the wind chill associated with 20-30 mph winds. At least it wasn't snowing- actually was sunny with dry roads.

Sunny, Cam, and Jodi- great job on your LRs!!
Solo- I'm glad you weren't hurt. Good luck getting your LR in tomorrow.
Karen-:grouphug: sorry for your loss.

I don't have any cold soak stories as my apartment just has a shower stall. A couple weeks ago, I thought about maybe trying wading in the Pond but I don't think thats such a good solution either. In the summer, the water temps around here only get into the 60s and they are certainly not anywhere in that ballpark now.

Does anyone know where I can get dual-layer shorts? They are bike shorts with regular shorts attached, but no seam between the legs and the bike shorts are attached to the regular shorts so that the shorts don't ride up. I saw a pair at junonia.com, but they are $59.95 and $8.95 shipping. I think it is is the outrageous shipping charge on a pair of shorts that totally turns me off that prospect. Any other ideas of where I can find them?

After today I have a whole new respect for you guys doing the Goofy!! You are truly big :dog2: I had to do my LR yesterday because of weather & this a.m. I had a 5k with DS. My legs & feet were none too happy about this. They kept repeating all thru the race- "we gave you 8 miles yesterday, we are supposed to get to rest today!!!" Boy was I hurting. I held DS back, he could've gone much faster but since they didnt completely close the roads I didnt want him out of my sight. (he's 7) He was so excited & loved the whole thing. And this was a piddly little race with nothing going on. He is going to love WDW 5k.

It also gave me my first Last Place Finish :cheer2: There werent walkers in this group, all runners. I dont care, I made sure DS wasnt last. He ran ahead once we could see the finish line.

What do you guys do about blisters or hot spots. I am still having trouble on the side of my heals from where I had the pedicure. The skin is starting to calous (sp?) up. And its getting sensitive. Any suggestions? Will moleskin stay put?

Cam- those shorts sound cool. I would like some too. That is high for someting they can fit in a legal size envelope. Great job with the LR

Jodi- awesome time!

I'm having the same trouble with getting warm the rest of the day. And I'm in the south & a hot natured person. What's up with that? My heat usually never goes above 63 & I have it on 67. For me that is huge & would normally be sweating right now.

Sunny- great job, you are really a big :dog2: I am so impressed by what you've accomplished!

Cam - Kudos on the TM walk, ugh, I did that a couple weeks ago & can barely handle it. That's a long time to be a hamster :rotfl:

Tiff - I was going to "run" the 5k @ WDW after the 1/2, but now you're making me think twice. Maybe I'll do a trial run like you did today. I have a feeling though, that my body will boycott. That's so cool your DS had fun! After my run this a.m. I walked w/ my DS 10 2 miles. He's a mega couch potato in "training" for the 5k in Jan.!

Somone's gotta know why we can't get warm after a LR. Is it just fatigue? Prolly that,+the body having no reserve to give warmth. It's annoying.

Xterratri - If you decide to wade in the pond, please take pictures :goodvibes

Tek224 - Good luck on the 17 tomorrow, better you than me.

Lisa - Glad the knees better!

Jodi

Jodi said:
Cam - Kudos on the TM walk, ugh, I did that a couple weeks ago & can barely handle it. That's a long time to be a hamster :rotfl:

Jodi -- I have a HUGE confession to make. I was reading a (trashy) novel. It was the only thing I could find with "large print"! ;) Time sure went more quickly than I would have expected. Hmmmmm. . . I may have just figured out why I was drenched in sweat by the time I was done -- my pony tail was dripping! :earseek: It was ugly! :rotfl2: Thank God I finally got a key to the executive washroom in my building (shower facilities!). I was able to come right into work -- I know if I'd gone home, I'd not have had the energy to leave the house again!

Hey all! Your LRs are great! Congrats on the success.

I can't help out on the clothing idea Cam. Hope you find what you want.

Got interrupted in my day here. So I guess LR MUST be tomorrow. Sigh.

TiffJ said:
What do you guys do about blisters or hot spots. I am still having trouble on the side of my heals from where I had the pedicure. The skin is starting to calous (sp?) up. And its getting sensitive. Any suggestions? Will moleskin stay put?

:earseek: Can't believe I forgot to share that advice. And so sorry about your feet Tiff

Emergency Bulletin--No one else gets pedicures until AFTER the race. You earned all those rough spots--and getting your feet beautified mid to late season is contraindicated for this very reason.

Tiff, I think you will have to try something like that, or any blister product at the stores. However--if you can try to run this week and just let the spot get roughed up (it will hurt-but will hopefully help the skin for Disney)--you would be better off.

All these blisters and callouses we get are our training beauty marks. They are badges of honor. You earned those suckers. Keep the pumice away from the tootsies and schedule a pedicure as your reward post marathon. Mine is scheduled for Wednesday at my gym--it has a dayspare..and best of all...free daycare when you use the spa. :banana:

!

Jodi said:
Somone's gotta know why we can't get warm after a LR. Is it just fatigue? Prolly that,+the body having no reserve to give warmth. It's annoying.

I used to know this answer...I will ask my coaches for the more clinical answer. But for now--in laymen's terms....I believe it is b/c we have just shocked our bodies. Our bodies are trying sooo hard to keep cool for the 2 hours that we are overloading them during an LR. I had read somewhere very recently that the muscle temp while running is roughly 103-105 degrees (forget the number exactly--it was VERY high). That is a very high grade fever (not a true fever though--but if the rest of your body got that hot it certainly would be). So while your muscles are this hot, your body is working overtime to keep your body's temp from spiking to this.

So my educated guess--is that when you stop running...your body is still trying to cool down (why some may actually shiver from cold even if it is in the 50s or 60s when you finish and actually a pleasant tempeture after a shorter run). Your body has been traumatized from the efforts you just put it through--and I think the rest of the day it is working hard to recover from all of that. So while you may feel cooled down, your body may still be in fever prevention mode...if that makes any sense.

Anyone more familiar with physiology, please chime in. But when I read that muscle temp thing, my first thought was :earseek: .

Shoveling snow. Am going to do my 8 miles tomorrow.

Lynne thought you southerners would appreciate this.
32accb52.jpg
With the location of the satellite dish, we do sometimes have to trudge thru the snow to clean off the feed horn.

Supposed to get more of the lovely white stuff over night but still plan on walking outside. We also have to shovel the deck 2 or 3 times per winter as it is 8 ft in the air. We have a walk out basement to the back yard.

Thanks to everyone for their advice while I was in the dumps this past week. I am slowly pulling out, a guess enough to pull off my 18 mile run today (which I hated every step). I took three full days off last week and I feel that I need to take a few more because I really hurt. Sunny, I now know how you felt during your spell a few weeks ago. It took me forever to stop shivering this afternoon, probably 2 hours and I was in bed under two quilts.

MelR, 10 miles followed by a 20 mile run! You go girl. :worship:

NYcpa, all I can say is :eek: :cold: Not good to look at that picture after my torture today. Yes, I am a whimpy Canadian, been in the south too long. My hats off to all of you running long runs in snow. It was 40 this morning in NC for my long run, actually perfect temperature and no snow(if only my body wanted to cooperate).

Tek, Lily and all others, good luck to those who are running their LR's tomorrow.

Good job to all those who got theirs in over the last few days.

Solo, I am still amused at your "save the Garmin" comment. Now that is what I call an ice bath!

Tiff, you are a good mother doing a 5K today with your DS, after your 8 yesterday!

Cam, you may want to check at www.footlocker.com for your shorts, someone posted a 30% off code (in this thread) for all regular and clearance merchandise. They may have what you are looking for.

Christa, Bree, hope the marathon went well today! Can't wait to hear about it!

Colleen

Hey, Colleen! Congrats on dragging yourself out for your 18! Now you know you have the willpower and motivation to do anything!

princessmomma said:
Cam, you may want to check at www.footlocker.com for your shorts, someone posted a 30% off code (in this thread) for all regular and clearance merchandise. They may have what you are looking for.

Thanks. I checked there. No go.

Kathy -- that is just UGLY in a gorgeous way! :rotfl: Definitely NOT interested in that kind of cross-training.

Sorry to make everyone panic! I just haven't looked at the calendar. Glad to know that I have an extra week to train. :rolleyes:

I am back in the game! I walked/ran 5 miles today. I reinjured my hip, but I have decided that I am going to do the 1/2 regardless of the hip pain. So I am not going to rest it anymore. I am going full steam ahead. The smartest thing to do? Maybe not, but I have worked too hard to sit on the sidelines.

Tomorrow will be another 20 mile bike ride. Luckily my hip does not hurt when I ride.

Jodi- mom(NYcpa) suggested that I clarify what I was referring to when I mentioned the Pond- I live about 150 ft off the Atlantic Ocean at high tide. When we got a really nasty Noreaster last January with 70-80 mph winds and supposedly 42 inches of snow(it drifted so bad it was tough to tell but the cars were covered up to their roofs) I had snow INSIDE my deck door. I took pictures and emailed them to my landlord who snowbirds in Sarasota.

When I'm next home, I'll have mom help me set up a site with some pictures of here so people can see my 'tough' living circumstances. Much of the coastal land here abouts is Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge so it's expensive houses interspersed with open land. The school itself has Atlantic Ocean frontage and operates a Marine Animal Rescue Center. To get an idea, check out www.une.edu.

Back to studying- get to read about leukemias and lymphomas as I finished the chapter on anemias and bleeding disorders. I'm already looking forward to Reproductive system in the Spring as at least we'll cover some happy stuff(and then go through everything that can go wrong)

The penguin (John Bingham) wrote a great article this month in Runners World--the injured may wish to check it out.

While you don't necessarily have to be out for the count when injured--he says there is no harm in backing off and taking the race easy...so if you were doing good on time--it is okay to slow it down since we have 16 minutes a mile to complete it.

I'll find it and post some good quotes when I have the chance. It was really good. Perhaps if I read it before my knee surgery--I wouldn't have been crying my eyes out at the poor physical therapist when he suggested doing no more than the half. :blush:

Please do not accept any offers to purchase your bib if you receive them. You earned that bib and even if it earns you a ride on the sweeper bus--it is yours, do not sell or give it away.

As a security/safety concern--they will have your bib, they cannot sign their own medical release as you are the one to sign it--you can become liable for them should anything happen to them (I have helped at a 5K where a man dropped dead of a heart attack and he was very fine before hand according to his family) and you are responsible for your chip if it gets lost/stolen/not returned.

Not to mention--that it can be assumed that it is very much against Disney's policy to do this.

:)

:banana: :banana: :banana:
I did it! Ended up doing 6 miles of running and 3 miles of run/walk/jumping and dancing Friday.
Then Saturday I did the Charlotte Marathon. My time was 4:24. I am pleased with that time. It is a PR for me so far. I now feel like I can really do WDW! I even feel pretty OK tonight.
Just wanted to check in and let everyone know. Ron is going to put pictures of the Marathon on his web site soon. I will let you know when he does this.
Oh...DDs finished their Kids Marathon today and got a medal. They are SO proud!
Christa

Yay Christa! great job

Lisa, thanks for the heads up about some wierd solicitation of the bib. It sounds strange to me that someone would want to do that. After all we have worked toward, and someone wants to "buy" in? Devious.

Christa - Way to go!!! That is a great time!!!!!!!

Lisa - would some compression tights work for you? CWX makes tights that actually provide compression to the areas around the knee and to the calf. I have a pair that i wear frequently and have pretty much demolished in the adv. races. I'm getting a new pair for christmas to wear for goofy. They may not provide enough compression for your knee, but it would be cool if they did.

Colleen - I've been wondering how your lr went. i'm glad you made it through even though it was torture. I am planning a bigger taper than my plan suggests just to get a mental and physical break and see if i can actually get revved up again. There was an article written by hal higdon which can be found on his homepage that i found very encouraging related to the lr's. He basically argued that although people ask how he can run a grueling 26.2 miles that all of the miles are not in fact grueling. He points out that some are fun, most are comfortable and a few a grueling. I've been thinking about that alot for my lr's . I have decided to remember that all the miles are not so bad, just a few!

Cam - thanks for the update on rent. I'm probably going to cry based on your report. I really like jessie martin though, so i may just have to take the risk!

I spent all day cross training by shopping with my mom. This should get me ready for the long mental torture of the marathon! it was sooooooo crowded and unhappy in the stores today. Anyway, I just not got a chance to read everyone's posts. All i could think about as i read was that i cannot wait to meet you all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter