Wk of Nov 27--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Karen - So sorry to hear about your Mom. My prayers go out to you and your family. :grouphug:

Lisa - You go girl! Way to get back to those worjouts. You are definitely a big :dog: !

Mel - If you see me at mile 24 at 8AM, that'll be one awesome miracle :rotfl2: You can probably check me out around 11:30-12pm.

WISHing everyone a great weekend of workouts. :goodvibes

Terri

Hey, TEK, we should be pretty close to each other!

Mel - You'll notice I already offered your assistance. :teeth: I have not had anyone request any expedited services yet, though. WIll let you know. can't hide from me! BTW - Great pace!!!

18 miles on an indoor track? I know Craig could do it, but I'd rather crack my head open on the ice. Yuck! Doesn't matter. I think my narest indoor track is likely 20 to 30 minutes away in solo country.

I shouldn't have bothered trying, really....

I went for my run. It was very cold, but I had a hat and gloves, was wearing my tights and layers and I felt OK. I got about 2.5 miles in and then.... well, I slipped. More accurately, I misstepped in the snow into what I think was a rather deep hole. I lost my balance and fell down, rolling over once before *SPLASH* ending up in a water-filled roadside ditch. :guilty: :cold: My only thought whilest falling was "Protect the Garmin!!," which I managed to do. I'm seriously fine, no tweaks or twists or sore spots.

Since then I have squished back to the office, taken the longest, hottest shower ever and threw my shoes and gloves in the dryer. I vow to try again on Sunday-- be it outside or on the indoor track. Sigh. :rolleyes:

I will finish this race and get that dang medal if it's the last thing I do! :hyper:

Carrie- yes, Football tomorrow. As for that secret hope, well, it's always nice to do well. It makes for a very busy November and December and basically you can't plan anything because of "what if." So in other words, it's more fun when you do well, but it's busier as well. Definately a double-edged sword. (I think my biggest secret is that although I complain a LOT about the hours I put in, I really enjoy my job 95% of the time...)

karen- So sorry to hear about your loss. :grouphug:

I think that's about it for now. Got to check on my shoes.
Solotraveler :earsboy:

HA HA Carrie

I'm just now headed up the fill to our indoor track. It's cold and windy here, plus I've been fighting a cold for 11 days now (!), so I'll be running indoors today, about 7, and Sunday, about 12.

I can't say it's fun, but it beats the treadmill any day. I've got 308 songs in the ipod nano, and I may use them all this weekend.

35 days from tomorrow. Is that cool or what?

Good luck everyone.

Craig

Calcio said:
35 days from tomorrow. Is that cool or what?

Cool? Scary, makes me sick to my stomach, yet exciting.

Solo - Glad you really do like your job. The you would want to keep winning. :cheer2: So sorry about your run. That's got to be worse than stonker. We'll be heading out at 8 am if you want to come up. (May pace is pretty slow these days, though.)

The big dog got a puffy knee--6 hours AFTER my run! I've been trying to run without the compression bandage--guess I should go back to one. Wish I could find a nice one that isn't all hot and sweaty. Any ideas?

Woo hoo, woo hoo- I did my 8 miler early & it was great!!!! :banana: I usually do my LR on Sunday's but because this weekend is shaping up to be pretty nasty I went ahead & did it today because I was afraid I wouldnt get it in (no way on a TM) My pace for the 8 miles- INCLUDING A 1/2 MILE WARM UP- was.......14:29 :Pinkbounc I told my mom she may need roller skates to keep up with me. I was so thrilled and I feel good afterwards too.

I feel better today after 8 miles than I did 2 months ago after doing my first 5k. Amazing how quickly our bodies adjust, huh?

Karen- so sorry for your loss, our thoughts are with you & your family :grouphug:

Heather- don't freak my out- I pulled out my calender thinking I was on the wrong mileage :rolleyes:

Solo-that is waaay worse than a stonker. Good thing you did break your ankle (or your Garmin) No snow here in AL but our highs next week will be in the lower 40's. Now I know that's warm to all you northerners, but that's pretty dang cold for us :cold:

Lisa- Great job- we knew you'd be back with the big dogs soon!

Good luck on this weekend's LR everyone. I'm supposed to do a 5k with DS in the a.m. (his first) hoping it doesnt get rained out. If it was summer I would still do in the rain, but I dont want to risk getting sick with peak training time upon us!.

Solo-- Phew, I'm glad you only ended up "squishy" a twisted ankle would be terrible at this point!

Tiffj-- Awsome on the 8 miler :cheer2:

Jodi-- I think trading CT for mid-week miles is very prudent. As long as you are getting your cardio in and your LRs are on schedule you'll probably be much better off than flirting with injury.

OK I did it! I think I peaked :teeth:

I did my first 21 miler today. As Craig said, it was cold and VERY windy. I set out very cautious, thinking the whole thing was iffy. But my pace was really good. I started right from mile one doing a .08 mile walk in the middle of each split (from .48 to .54). I think that made a huge difference. Anyway, my avg pace was 9:57 :banana: :banana: :banana: Its funny how the mind works during an LR. Around mile 3 I was justifying turning this into a 16 miler (or less). Somewhere between mile 5 and 16 I was one with the universe. All was well with the world and I remembered why I do this. Starting around mile 16 I was quite aggrevated and wondered "why in the world do I do this? what's so important about this stupid marathon anyway????". By mile 18 all thoughts ceased. There was only one thought: get to the next walk interval. The pain by mile 19 was excrutiating. I can't describe it in words because I don't actually recognize it. Its not joint pain, or injury pain. Its not even muscle pain. Its just "I WANT THIS TO STOP NOW!!!! pain". When I finally broke out of the run at 21 I couldn't help but let out audible moans and groans. All the pain was in my hips and butt (glutes), my quads, hamstrings, calves, ankles, feet were all perfectly happy.

Then came the soak. Like MelR I really don't want to remember it. I cranked the heat up to 72 which brought moans from the whole family (I know you southerners probably can't understand how 72 could be uncomfortable, but by this point in the season its way too hot for normal people). I was still freezing. I cranked a space heater in my room, bringing the room up to about 85 and still was too cold. I'm now wearing flannel pjs, a sweater and a full length heavy robe and barely able to tolerate the cold.

Oh I love this sport :banana:

What in the world will I do with myself tomorrow morning???????

For reference: my first 20 miler was Aug 27 avg pace 11:06, my second 20 miler was Nov 19 average pace 10:52

Here's my splits:

Dec 2, 2005 BP 21 miles

1 9:27
2 10:13
3 10:00
4 9:44
5 10:43 (Gu)
6 10:11
7 9:55
8 9:58
9 9:00
10 9:32
11 9:56 (Gu)
12 9:02
13 9:59
14 10:11
15 9:50
16 10:22 (Gu)
17 9:57
18 9:51
19 9:48
20 10:01
21 11:12

Avg = 9:57, includes about 2 minutes of stopping for traffic :rolleyes:

Sunny

I got my packet today! Am I the last?

Karen, so sorry for your loss. :hug: Prayers to you and family as you go through this time.

Everyone’s training reports are really interesting and I have been learning a lot these last days. (Still, not brave enough to do that cold bath thing)

It has been an incredibly busy week for me. (Boss has been away for 2-week vaca, so I am the boss’s stand-in) Glad she is back Monday.

I am fearful of the LR this weekend, my 18-miler! So much snow it doesn’t look good that it will be outdoors but on the dreaded TM. Sigh. Yes, I might need to use that novel! (Large print!)

Tiger Lily 03 said:
I got my packet today! Am I the last?

You are not last... I still am packet-less. :( The mail lady knows I will be watching out the window for her again tomorrow. If ya'll hear the Hallelujah Chorus - it came! ;)

Karen - I am so sorry for your loss! We will be praying for you and your family! :grouphug:

Sunny - AWESOME JOB on your 21 miler!!! :worship:

Lisa - Great job on your LR! Sorry to hear about the knee, though!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! I'm doing 10 - 12 early tomorrow. Dh is doing 15 (I think). Night all! :wave2:

Sunny -- You blow me away! Congratulations, sweetie!
Good luck to everyone on LWs/LRs this weekend. It is so bitterly cold here that I am terrified of going out in the morning for 8. I CANNOT afford to get sick. I just don't own the right kinds of clothes. I will definitely layer it!

BTW- saw "RENT" tonight. May need to download some of that very inspirational music to my ipod for pre-walk and warm-up.

Cam - OK this has nothing to do with training, but I really want to see RENT. Was it good? I have never seen the musical but just the movie preview made me cry. I downloaded "seasons of love" long ago. Is it really sad or hopeful? I am a crier so I haven't decided if it is something I can handle or not. I started crying during the 2nd song in Les Mis and cried for the rest of the time. I may have taken a break at intermission. I still cry whenever l listen to the music or see it on PBS great performances!!!! I have still never seen the Passion. (i knew i couldn't handle it, even though the major message is hope!) They are always showing clips in church and I leave a blubbering mess!!!!! When I was pregnant, they showed some clip from saving pvt. ryan to make some point (i don't remember what it was) anyway, I lost it!!!! I'm still mad about that and the boy is not 3 and 1/2 yo. Someone was actually just telling me the premise behind life is beautiful this week and i started crying!!!! So, all that being said, should I see RENT?

Sunny - GREAT JOB!!!!! You have really picked up speed over the past few months!! I don't think I've sped up at all, just picked up miles! I end up really hurting when I try to push the pace, but I find that I am out of control with the garmin. I ran the 10 on wed with EC, who of course started faster than I needed to go. I am planning on really taking the 1/2 easy. She had us running 10 min miles, which is no big deal to her. Anyway, I wanted to slow down, but after a few miles where I saw our pace hanging around 10, I couldn't make myself slow down b/c I got greedy!!! I am going to have to set the pace alert button for the races, or I'll not be able to control myself and I'll start out too fast and CRASH!!!

MelR-- I haven't seen The Passion for the same reason. I really want to see it but I can't bring myself to endure such intense emotion. I don't know anything about Rent. I have the same "greediness" with Garmin. If it wasn't for the Garmin I know I wouldn't have maintained my pace throughout that long run!

I have no residual soreness, but my right hip is "sticking", it makes a "click" when I move it. Very strange. I never have any problem on the right side of my body. The body part I don't talk about is doing just fine :goodvibes

Sunny - you know we have been doing too much rough stuff to our bod's when we make statements like "i never have problems with that side!" :rotfl2: My right side is my trouble maker side! I have been running in several different shoes. All either cushioning or stabilizing and I have come to the conclusion that i need to wear cush/neutral on my right and stab on my left!! I'm going with the chushion because it feels better anyway. I'm glad the part you don't talk about is doing well. I noticed that I recovered exceptionally well from my recent run. I added both the protien "stir" and the cold bath. If I could just add massage, I'd probably feel even better!!!!

Karen-I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sunny- Wow! I'm hoping I can do my 22 miler tomorrow and have some good results like you.

Today I'm suffering from PTSD-Post-Traumatic SOAK disorder. I did 10 miles and tried my first ice bath. I think the only reason it made my legs feel better is that I thougth I was going to have a heart attack when that water first hit my legs! :cold: How long am I supposed to soak? I did 13 min and my hot tea ran out so I quit, too.

Good runs/walks to everyone. It's not long now! :banana:

Solo - Ok, did you "hear" my post in your head when you wiped out "run inside, run inside"....Seriously though, I'm glad you didn't get hurt. I've fallen on the road b/c of black ice b4 & it rots.

Sunny - Thanks for your advice, I think you're right. I'll CT like a fiend on the THurs. & get my HR up & leave well enough alone. Congrats on your seriously LR, I was rolling @ the thoughts you were having during it. Everything from "check me out, I rock" to "why am I doing this?" I've been there & I'm only training for the 1/2.

Well, my LR today felt great! 8 miles w/ an average of 9:57, & -splits. My 8th miles was 9:28 & I felt like I could've kept going (but that's probably 'cause I knew it was time to stop :rotfl: ). Knees hurt like usual. Last night I took 3 advil b-4 bed & wasn't woken up by knee pain. I haven't been using pain killers at all for the knee pain, but I have to sleep, otherwise I'm a monster in the a.m. (& for the rest of the day for that matter).

MelR - RENT didn't make me cry, but if you're ever in NYC, go see "The Phantom of the Opera." I've seen it twice & cry like a baby @ the end. I think I cried when I read the book, too. Can you say LOSER?

Cam - How'd it go today??? I know, it was real cold this a.m., & windy. Maybe 25 w/ the windchill?? And talk about not being able to get warmed up afterwards... what IS that?

Lisa - How's the knee today?

Jodi

Hi all!

I've enjoyed reading the posts today. I've gotten some chuckles reading about peoples' ice baths. You should hear me when I first get into that water :earseek:

I've seen Rent on Broadway and really enjoyed it. May go see the movie this weekend. Parts of it were sad, but nothing that made me cry (and I can cry easily at some movie scenes).

Had to work today, so I will x-train tonight and have a 17 miler on tap for tomorrow. We'll see how the layering works, since it's cold here.

Craig - I'm starting to create may 1/2 and Full marathon playlists for my iPod. It makes the time go by much easier.

Have fun this weekend everyone!
Terri

I would love to see Rent. I'm concerned about the drug content and other stuff as I am sensitive to that for some reason (like "they're killing my puppy" sensitive). I will probably have to wait for it to come out on Netflix since it probably isn't a show/movie that my hubby wants to see. But I want the soundtrack. I've heard a few of the songs and they are wonderful...esp. SEasons of Love (is that what it's called?)

My knee is doing fine. I misplaced my compression wrap (overwhelmed with my home--long story--but to keep it short...I think something ate it. A box, a shoe...I don't know---but something ate it, I am positive ;)). I got a new one--have resumed taking my anti-inflammatory and it is fine today. The puff is back to what it was (I hate calling it a puff--but that is what it is. Just where fluid likes to deposit when things are acting up). I did buy another support..I'm not sure if it really does compression--but it does breathe, so I might try that for running. I think my mistake is that after icing, I didn't put my compression wrap on afterwards and I was told to continue wearing it. It was day 2 of me seeing if I can do without, but I have discovered that I cannot do without it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter