Wk of Oct 15--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

2007 WISH Team

akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
Andrea718 Andrea NY
andromedaslove Dana FL
bekagain Bekah
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
budbeerlady
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
Cheryl N. WI Cheryl WI
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload GA
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4mk Michael GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
debm IL
Dennyha Denny OH
DianeL Diane
disneybelle Darcey NJ
disneyfanz04 Michelle NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disnygoof Christiana SC
disneyrun
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
dthogue Tammy PA
escape Susie AR
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
gradtchr Beth TX
hbardeleben Heather IL
hmgolden Helen NY
HMHunters
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laura NY
Honeibee Judy NY
Houstonmouse Tracey
icunurse_celeste Celeste IL
Jen117 Jen WI
Jodi Jodi CT
jodistar Jodi CT
k_hase Kim NY
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
Kaycee Kaycee KY
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
KeriZ Keri AB
Kim10110 Kim
Kimickey Kim MD
Kimwim8 Kim NJ
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
LittleMissMickey Ashley MN
lizdotcom99 Liz IN
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne
martysmom Jenny FL
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minnie Suzy
momoftwogirls K
monte Monica CO
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
MrsTrx Tracey FL
msblrobs Sara NY
nstauffer Nikki MI
nucpharm29 Stephanie AR
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom OH
outonarun Teri CA
Papa Deuce PA
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
Princess Nancy Nancy SC
Pungodingy Angie NH
Rachael Q Rachael BC
RedSonya Sonya UT
rKyDeX Chester FL
Rockclimber Dave NC
RunningLilo Dena FL
ryley26 Rich OH
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
sjams Janet TX
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Stenogoddess Lauren GA
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
thndrmatt Matt FL
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
TnTsParty FL
TXBelle Heather TX
Valentine Kathy NY
Viking Eric GE
Wbgirl Melissa MN
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
wfloyd Bill FL
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
wiskband Renee NY
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME

You'll all be pleased to know I'm going to quit whining about my pace for awhile. I'm doing the regular version of MFM now with only one additional week thrown in for a 12 mile in Dec. 4 mile LR today at 49:26 for a 12:22 pace! :cool1: And that was with a 14 mph wind on the way out! Looks like R4/W1 is a good fit for me right now! Just a couple months ago in August, my 4 mile runs were at 13:57 and 13:58. And for a real comparison, my very first 5K a year and a half ago I finished at 49:59. My foot's doing ok too...no tape for 2 days except during my run today.

Dana...that's one reason we came back south after I finished school in Gainesville...it's way too cold up there :cold: The weather was glorious here today, though I did need a light jacket in the shade due to the wind ;) .

BTW, offer still stands...any of you that get tired of LR in the snow, I can hook you up with a beach LR :beach:

Krista...glad your ankle's holding up and that it should heal well!

Steve...great pace! I bet Hines appreciated the exercise too. He'll be needing his own WISH shirt before too long ;)

Susie...congrats on getting out there and having a great finish! Lily has a great way of putting it...she always says it's better to get in the steps and not worry so much about the pace!

Teri...how did your LR go?

Jodi...congrats on your half! That's a fabulous time!

Stephanie... :wizard: for your little one. Congrats on your 5.2!

Tiff...I know you meant to say your DH was going to the UF game tonight ;) Hope it doesn't end up being the Auburn game...things look a little ugly after that blocked punt.

Kathy... :wizard: for fast healing!

Lynne...congrats on your ATM finish! How are your clinicals going?

Nancy...can't say I've had any snake encounters, but the golf carts coming up behind me on the sidewalk can be disconcerting. I run on a public sidewalk (nowhere near the course), but always get the impression that I'm in 'their' way :rolleyes:

Yikes, Carrie...I can't imagine driving in a blizzard (hurricanes are another story :rolleyes1 ). Is this early for snow up there?

Christa...wow :worship:

Sunny...Science Saturday sounds like fun!

MelR...congrats on getting out there! I always wondered how you got into the adventure races.

Have a good training week everyone!

Good Morning TEAM: :surfweb:

Greetings from Atlanta! Oh it's good to be away from the snow (although we in Rochester didn't get what Buffalo got). I got my LR in yesterday where the temperature was a balmy... 38 degrees :confused3. What the? There was patchy frost! Oh well, I got 6 miles in around a little over 10 mpm pace. I wanted to do a short LR as a mini-taper for my half marathon next week. My pace was a little slow because I didn't always know where I was going, and because there were lots of HILLS!!! I didn't know Atlanta was so hilly!

Jodi- How did your half-marathon go? Just saw your post, glad you had a great time and got your first medal. WTG!!! I can't wait to read more about it.

Dana- That is an AWESOME pace for your 12 mile LR. That is great. You are definitely back on track.

Stephanie- Great job on your 5 miler. You are right, the pace doesn't matter it's getting out there and putting the steps in that counts.

Susie- Great work on your 3 miler. WTG!

Teri- Did you lace 'em up and get out there? Yep, just put one foot in front of another.

Steve- Wow, great pace on your 7 miler. Hines can run 8:30mpm for 3 miles? Wow, super, can you ship him out to me to pull me along for my runs? Go STEELERS! They really need a win today!

Krista- 9 miles and no pain!!! YAHOOOOOOO!!! That's fantastic! Go STEELERS!!!

Carrie- Go BLUE!!! How 'bout Michigan? I must admit I only was able to watch the first half of the game yesterday, but their defense was looking pretty good!

Mike- Great job getting out of bed. Sounds like that was tougher than your 17 miler. Awesome run!

Terri- Hope you get over your cold soon. Good job on getting out there anyway and putting those steps in.

Mel/Chimera- Nice job on your 4 miler.

Good morning everyone. :sunny:

At the risk of boring all of you, I’d like to tell you about the first race event of my life. Yesterday I walked the Baltimore Half Marathon. I am very pleased to report that I finished. And I beat the minimum pace requirements for WDW, so now I feel qualified to go. Yippee! :cool1: :yay:

For anyone who understands race data, see below for what I got off the event website. The main things that matter to me were my pace and, as a bonus, the fact that I wasn’t last.

I have to admit, the race was hard. I thought I trained well, but maybe not. For the last 2 miles I thought my legs were gonna fall off. Heck, I thought my BUTT was gonna fall off. I was stiff yesterday afternoon and still a little bit today.

I just can’t figure out why those last 2 miles were so dang hard. I had a good night’s sleep. Well as good as possible. DD crawled in between me and DH around midnight. (We all watched a scary DVD Friday night.) I had my usual breakfast at 6:00am and then half a PB sandwich at 9:00 am. Race started at 9:45. 2 Gu’s: One at 3 miles, another at 8 miles. I got 2 waters at every station.

Well, at any rate, it’s over and I’m going to Disney World. (I feel like saying that like a SuperBowl champ.) Thank goodness; what a relief. Now I’ve got to spend the next 12 weeks trying to trying to remember why I do this so I can overcome the memory of those last 2 Baltimore miles.

Thanks for all the encouragement and help over the last few months. I’m convinced I couldn’t have done this well without the DIS. (I wore my green bracelet, too. Thanks, Mel.)

bib number: 4176
overall place: 3407 out of 3869
division place: 248 out of 286
gender place: 1825 out of 2218
time: 2:48:18 (remember, I'm a walker)
pace: 12:51
guntime: 2:53:18

Ok...I'm a rookie, but what does LR stand for? :confused3

Congratulations Kelly, that's a great time....you should breeze through WDW! Good job. :banana:

Kelley...wow! Congrats on your half! That's an incredible pace, especially if you're walking. Please tell me you ran at least a little bit :guilty: I've done two halves and in both, I crashed after mile 10. Had to lower my intervals or give up running altogether for awhile.

Monica...LR=long run. Is it still snowing in CO?

Dave...ouch...sorry the Atlanta weather doesn't seem much better than when you left NY. Congrats on your hillwork!

Wow - Kelley, that's amazing. What a great pace! I would never be able to walk that fast!

Great job! :thumbsup2

Ugh--somehow I just lost my post--guess that's what happens when trying to type with a baby in lap! :rolleyes: Anyway, I was saying that DS went from bad to worse yesterday, almost took him to the ER b/c his temp got so high. But fortunately, I called the nurse's line first and she calmed me down; and let me know that some awful virus is going around. So unless his temp got to 105 (EEKKkK!) just to continue the ibu and tylenol. So, we saved $100 by making that phone call.

MelR--hope your DS is feeling better and doesn't have what Matthew does.

Mel--just noticed you are from Sarasota! We'll be there the first part of Easter week this year--actually we're going to be in Siesta Key, but what's a few miles! I'll have to pick your brain for some good runs while we're there. Feel free to whine all you like! But great pace anyway! :thumbsup2

Dave--Yuck on the Atlanta weather-we had that in AR this past week-I was stunned--30 degree weather in Oct?? So much for global warming! :rotfl:

Kelly-Congrats on the walk! I could never walk that far or that fast! Walkers amaze me! :goodvibes

Well, today is supposed to be a rest day for me--but I really wanted to get out and do about 3 miles anyway--I guess the gods were reminding me of needing the rest, b/c it's a cold rain out right now--Hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Kelley, See we all told you you would make it. Don't fret those last 2 miles, I have completed 13 half marathons and can tell you that everyone of them was a struggle in the final mile or 2. You just need to push through it and think of how far you have come and how little you have left to go. The Baltimore course is a far more demanding course than Disney so you are golden. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!

Posting today on behalf of the DW, since I've done nothing but rest my shins for now the third day in a row. DW wasn't phased by lack of companionship, she decided Friday night to do a local 10k that was Saturday morning randomly. She was scheduled for a 6 mile LR anyway, so said she was just going to take it easy. Well, on a pretty boring residential course, with the last half upwind and partially uphill, she proceeded to take the PR by 5 minutes that she set the weekend before, and cut another minute off that to 1:04 and change. :rolleyes1

She's only 10 minutes off of my 10k time, and at that rate she'll be passing me up in no time, especially since I'm not able to run right now. :( Going to try wrapping and going for a couple miles on Monday, we'll see how it goes... Also ordered the Aquajogger kit for crosstraining days.

Hey all... Yesterday it was so cold and windy here in Wisconsin. I was scheduled for 5 miles, but I had absolutely no motivation. I was ready to give up running all together because I am a freeze baby. So finally arounf 6:00pm, DH drags the whole family to the Y for swimming, and me for running. I was not keen on doing 60 laps, but it was better than being outside. After 18 laps, DD5 had a major meltdown which ended in us leaving. So I got a total of 1.5 miles and a major stress headache. SO I quit running again.

This morning I awaken to being rested. I decide to start running again after breakfast. DH says it is a blamy 28 degrees out. YIKES.... but the sad thing is that is warmer than it was on Saturday. So I have on a sweatshirt, ear warmers, gloves, and I head out. I did 5 miles. My back is aching a bit, but hopefully I won't have the pain like last week. I really need to get back into training so my motivation doesn't go totally out the door. I rested 3 days in a row last week and did really lite training the other days.

Jodi - WOW, you did awesome on your 1/2. CONGRATS!!!

Kelly - You walked the whole 1/2 at that pace. WOW WOW WOW. I have days were my r/w is that pace. You should be VERY proud and have absolutely no worries of being swept. You are way above the pace.

Mel - I dropped my pace to a 5/1 and found that I am doing much better (faster). I used to have the notion that r/w intervals were not acceptable for being a "runner"... now I know different. And I am a runner none the less!!

OK, I have a yard that is PILED with leaves. DH went to work, so I guess I am stuck raking them. 5 miles and leaf raking in one day... YIKES!!!

Hi all!!

Carrie-- Now, now.... I wasn't blaming you.... It would just figure after enduring that crazy snowy November last year we would get a crazy snowt... October. :guilty:

Krista-- Re: Spinning.... usually the instructors have us all over the place, but usually 80-100 RPMs is the norm. I have been taking a 45 minute Interval class on Wednesdays and a 60-70 minute Long Ride calss on Thursdays. What I like about it is that it's low impact and kicks my butt every single time. With my lack of running lately, it's been nice to be able to do some consistant cardio.

Jodi-- WTG on the race!!! :thumbsup2

Kelley-- Told you it wouldn't be that bad! Great race!! :thumbsup2

Matt-- Sorry to hear about the shin splints. :guilty: Hope things start to feel better soon.

Oh... and..... PACKET DANCE! :banana: I would really like to see it this week.

Lesson learned this week-- if you want a pick me up with respect to your training, visit your local running store!! I happened to be in the area of one of the big running stores here in GR, so I decided to wander in and take a look. To my suprise, someone I know from work is now working there and when I casually mentioned that I had done WDW last year and am trying for the Goofy this year... well, it was like I was the coolest kid in class. (And then they tried to talk me into trying triathalon and... I wasn't averse to the idea.... :rolleyes: )

What this all means is that I FINALLY, FINALLY had a great back to back run weekend!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: YES!

Saturday- 6 miler- Splits:
Mile 1: 9:03
Mile 2: 9:02
Mile 3: 9:34
Mile 4: 9:28
Mile 5: 9:45
Mile 6: 8:47
TOTAL: 55:42 or 9:17/mile pace. (Can't complain....)

Sunday 10 miler- Splits:
Mile 1: 7:56 :faint: Too fast. WAY too fast.
Mile 2: 9:24
Mile 3: 9:20
Mile 4: 9:38
Mile 5: 9:04
Mile 6: 9:43
Mile 7: 9:35
Mile 8: 8:49
Mile 9: 9:36
Mile 10: 9:13
TOTAL: 1:32:23 or 9:14/mile pace. :teeth:
I'm a bit bummed with all the up and down with my splits, but when you consider that my 10 mile split at WDW was 1:38:52 last year, I'll take the improvement.

This week's training is a bit crazy. Busy weekend at work and a 5K Saturday, so I will run my SRs Tuesday and Wednesday, skip Thursday, 15 mile LR Friday morning and then 5K Saturday before work. The 5K is a bit worrying... it's at work, which means I have to not embarass myself. ;) I'm not expecting great things after a 15 miler, but I don't want to be DFL.

Happy training all!!
Kevin :earsboy:

Quick drive by here... :moped:

Kelley
- AMAZING pace! I do w3/r1 now and avg. in the low 12:00 min/miles.

Judy - the hot guy in my siggie is my boyfriend, Johnny Rzeznik from the Goo Goo Dolls! :love: :hyper: :worship: :faint: I took that pic at one of the shows I went to this summer.

Felicia - lots of :wizard: for your medical issues right now. Many years ago the doctors thought I might have lupus, so try not to worry too much. Turns out they just diagnosed me with Raynaud's. Nothing I can do about it, my hands just swell up huge when exercising or cold. If I remember correctly, you also had the swelling hands thing going on, right?

I guess I found out the hard way why you should follow your plan and not be a slug all week. :blush: I haven't exercised since Monday. :blush: :blush: I went out today to do my 32 mins w3/r1 per MfM. (side note - anyone else hate the mins thing? I'd much rather do miles, than minutes.)
Mile 1 11:53
Mile 2 12:19
.62 Miles 7:47

The first mile was fine, felt good. After that I was so tired! That will teach me to be a slug-butt all week!

I've got a question for all of you experts out there. :teeth:

According to the MfM walk/run half-marathon plan, Today is supposed to be a rest day for me. However, I felt like I needed to get out and walk a little.

Since I'm new to all of this, I'm really getting scared that I won't be able to handle the longer distances coming up. I feel like I just need to try to walk some every day. Yesterday was my LR in my training - 3 miles. I pushed myself a little and was able to walk/run a 15 minute pace.

Today, I casually walked for 2.5 miles. When I say casually, I mean at about an 18 minute pace. I didn't even break a sweat. Is this okay to do on my rest days? For my cross-training days, I usually do strength training and some cardio for about an hour total. Does this plan sound okay or am I doing too much?

Kevin - great times! I don't think I could ever be that fast.

Jen - And I thought we had a cold spell the other day at 36 degrees! Needless to say, I didn't even set foot outside until it warmed up to mid-40's. I don't know how you Northerners do it!

Kelley - I can't even run at that pace! :earseek:

Dave - once again, impressed by your pace - especially being in the hills!

Mel - you just continue to inspire me! Great pace as well!

Stephanie - hope your DS gets better soon! :goodvibes

Good luck with your training everyone! Sending :wizard: to prevent injuries.

Things may finally be calming down a little now and hopefully I can stay caught up a little better this week. This past weekend was another of the back to back training runs for Goofy.

On Friday, I went 8 miles with a 13:45 pace. This happened to be pretty close to my current plan for the half so I was happy.

Then Saturday I went 17.5 miles with a 12:24 overall pace. This was a little slower than I wanted but I started out slower than normal since I didn't want to hurt myself any more than necessary. It was a little warmer starting out so I will figure things get better as it gets cooler.

Matt -- Sorry to hear about your shin splints. :wizard: for them getting better. I had them and they would be off and on for about a year. I think I tried every suggestion out there, new shoes, different shoes, different pavement, different sides of the road, new stretches, ice baths, time off... The only thing I found that worked for me was to slow my pace down a little and ice them everynight. They seem to be doing good now and don't hurt all the time. I wish you luck in finding your solution.

Lynne -- good job in signing up for the two ironmans. You have provided inspiration to Lynnda and me when we are training and just have to do only the short runs.

Mel -- Good job on the LR this week. Your pace is getting alot better and before long you will be passing most of us. I don't think I beat you by much on the Race for the Taste.

Dave -- Good luck on your half next week. I've forgotten where it is supposed to be so I will hope there won't be any snow or ice around.

Steve and Krista -- Good job on your training runs. Now if you can get Hines strong enough to carry you for part of the races everything would be set. ;) The Steelers seem to be doing good today so things must be happy up there. It was good to meet up with you again last weekend as well.

Kelley -- Good job on the half. :thumbsup2 That time almost beats my running time so I don't think it is bad by any stretch of the imagination. My walking time would be much slower than that.

Jen -- Good job on getting out there. I have the same problems getting up early especially when the bed is sooooo comfortable on the weekends. The medal at the end is definately worth the little discomfort of getting up early though.

Kevin -- Great job on the back to back runs. You should be set for Goofy without any problems. Just make sure that one of your coworkers falls and then sneak by if you aren't doing too well. ;)

Kristi1357 -- I also don't like the minutes thing so I do close to .25 mile intervals. I probably range from .3 to .2 walking and then .2 to .3 running depending on how I am feeling during the run. I find it much easier than keeping track of the minutes and can pace myself a little better.

Susie -- I usually wind up doing something on my rest days but it is generally easy unless it is yardwork. For the longer distances just focus on a small part each time. For example with a 6 mile run, mentally break it up to two 5k's which by that time are a little easier to do. Usually when I get to the longer distances, I just think about the short amount left and not the whole total. It seems to make things go a little easier during the runs as well.

Bill

Oh my goodness..you guys/gals are doing so well!!! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Finally posted a Race for the Taste report on that thread. We've had stuff going on around here since then, but it is hopefully slowing down. Consequently, haven't been able to train as I should be. Did manage to get out and do my 3 miler yesterday. A little worried as I hadn't done anything much during the week, but it went fine. Tried to do my R1/W3 but could only keep it up for 2 miles. Did get a 13:38 and a 13:44 for them though, so that was encouraging!
:grouphug: for everyone!! Keep it up!! Remember every step counts!! Anne

chimera said:
Kelley...wow! Congrats on your half! That's an incredible pace, especially if you're walking. Please tell me you ran at least a little bit :guilty: I've done two halves and in both, I crashed after mile 10. Had to lower my intervals or give up running altogether for awhile.

Monica...LR=long run. Is it still snowing in CO?

Dave...ouch...sorry the Atlanta weather doesn't seem much better than when you left NY. Congrats on your hillwork!

That's what I thought it meant, but wasn't sure...thanks. We had snow last night on the mountain tops....two ski resorts are already opened. I think we open in 3 weeks...ugh!

Unfortunately the last 2 weeks I have not gotten all my training in as planned due to Grandmother’s funeral & then illness. Really hit & miss, so this week I am going to refocus. This evening went out for a run to fire station & back with walk 2 min/run to mile marker plan:
Mile 1 11:12
Mile 2 11:33
Mile 3 11:42
Mile 4 12:20
Last .25 2.88
Total 49:35 Average 12:01
Was surprised at pace as I normally average 13+. Maybe the body needed the rest. Hope everyone has a good week – keep moving forward.

CJ – Fisher, IN
1k @ a time

OK, so I know it is nowhere as good as you guys, but I am so happy with my times today!!! :Pinkbounc

DH and I did 3 miles training today...here were my times
Mile 1 ~ 13:59
Mile 2 ~ 12:17 :woohoo:
Mile 3 ~ 13:29
total ~ 39:05

I think the fastest mile that I have done before today was 13 something...but 12:17...YEAH BABY!!!! Hopefully I can get them down to 10 minute miles before the marathon!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter