Wk of Sep 7 - WISH Walking/Running Club

Ooooh, I wonder if I get to close out this week's thread? I have to make this quick tonight, though.

Thoughts going out to our Texan WISHers....

Mel: Thanks for all you do with WISH, with the weekly thread (I had no idea it was 3 1/2 years) and the shirts and all. :worship: I'm not sure I could do what you've done. I hope you're planning on checking in on the weekly thread every once in a while.

Cam: Thanks for the kind words about missing me. I miss all my WISHer buddies, who inspire me in ways they can't even begin to imagine. And it's a little less lonely hanging out with folks who don't question the word Disney on the monthly credit-card statements. (Not that I have to justify myself to DOOD...:rolleyes1)

TwinMickeysJen: I'm with Cecilia, one of our resident running experts. She's got so much good information in her post to try: new route, slowing down, paying attention to the mental aspect, the talk test. Of course, there's nothing wrong with a RW strategy, either. (I do a RW, which I really enjoy, but it sounds like you want to push yourself.) So what Cecilia says. One last thing: you should know you're doing a great job with your running! :cheer2:

Liz: That's an fabulous pace on your biking--and outpacing DH, even if only for a little ways, must give you quite an adrenaline kick. (It would for me, anyway.) And 13 miles. :woohoo: Is it wrong of me to think of it as half-marathon distance?

Jeff and Marcia: Oh, so you're in for the Goofy, are you? Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes1 You were just creating some drama for us, weren't you? Marcia, how do you feel about being blamed for Jeff's race-entry weakness? You must have big shoulders to bear that heavy responsibility. :lmao:

Jeff: I'm glad to hear the hip seems to be recovering. I hope you're back to breathing hard. Just think of Guru Les. Wait...that didn't come out quite right.....

Marcia: Just doing the marathon this year, and my first 10 miler this weekend. (Following MfM plan, extended) I did back-to-back LRs for the Goofy last year, and it worked for me--although by the time of the Goofy I was more than ready NOT to do back-to-back runs, as the luster was gone. Next year, when I do Dopey, I'll do some back-to-back runs, but not as many. I find I need a weekend that involves more than running and ice cream. Who knew? That's why I like MfM, by the way. I'll never be fast, and I like the programs that allow me to have a life. I keep being tempted by other plans, though, so I hope you get many responses. (You may have to post again on next week's thread.)

Tracy: I WISH I could leave my work at work, and admire those of you who have learned to do so. It invades my home life, my social time, and my dreams. Sick, I know. Maybe even sicker than you've been. Glad to hear you're on the mend, though! So, has the princess 1/2 moved to the front burner yet? I'm sorry to hear that one of your parks is closed on a training day, especially because beautiful scenery is an excellent motivation for getting the miles in. :woohoo: for your best 3-mile training run, btw! Very cool.

Carrie: Been meaning to tell you--your transitioning to tris (let alone transitioning during tris) has been inspirational to read about! Congratulations on having a good run, too!

MLA/Megan: You are a sneaky rabbit, you are! I think your DBF will see a race as a good reason to go to WDW. Of course, it cuts both ways. A trip to WDW was the carrot DOOD used to get me to run. I think the idea of a WO blog is great--and lots of people here seem to use them for similar reasons. Does DBF know about here--should I drop some Disney hints on your blog?

Running on the TM. I find it takes me longer to warm up on the TM than outside, so you may want to double your time. Are you running with the TM on an incline? I think that helps, too.

Shan: I'm so sorry to learn about your continued problems with your post-surgery recovery. How frustrating that is. I hope it's not painful or uncomfortable as well. In better news, you're making great progress with your running, as I think many of us predicted you would. Just be sure to be careful with that knee, ankle, and ITB, okay? :hug: Also, I'd pay good money for a picture of you modeling your runnningskirt Minnie--if it were taken at the right moment! :rotfl2: Oh, and good luck with next week's 10:1, not that I really think you'll need it.

Howard: So, did you set out to push yourself on this run, or did it just kind of happen. I mean, I know you've been pushing yourself (within reason, paying attention to your hip flexor). So I guess I'm asking how the stars aligned to give you your best run of your life?

Tricia: I'm sorry to hear about your shin pain. I still get it from time to time, so I can empathize. Oh, and thanks for your statement about "garbage miles." Sometimes I need to remind myself of that, and I think that's a good way to look at things. Hopefully your shins are now feeling better--given your how your first 10 miler went it sounds as if they weren't too bad. But the bra chafing...OW, OW, OW!

Wendy: I take it this means you're doing the princess half? If I recall, you're a sucker for an inaugural race. :thumbsup2

Vicky: So how does one work on one's balance? Core work? Do stability shoes help? Just curious, as it seems to me that this kind of info would benefit lots of us. The ice/shins tip for Tricia was very useful, too!

Ms. Duckie: Wait, you wear heels when you teach? I'm not sure whether to :worship: you or to be :confused3 It's flats for me, baby, flats. And half the time I wear sneakers with my suits. Very Ellen DeGeneres, or so I like to flatter myself. I hope you've recovered and are increasing your distance, with proper racewalking form of course. Is DH racewalking, too?

Terri: Your 12:38 pace is absolutely great, and so good to know you have a good RW on top of that. I also find it hilarious--but oh so believable--that you'll NEED a run after a 6 hour work meeting. There would have been a time when I would have said what you need is a good, stiff drink after that kind of day. I've since learned the two are mutually exclusive. And if you have to choose, the run is generally better. Here's hoping there's not more long meetings in your near future. :drinking1

Joan: I have an amphipod, can't remember which one, and really like it. It's fairly light, sturdy, I like the bottles/placements, and the pouch is big enough.

Kristi: Sorry to hear about the shins, and think you were wise to cut your run short. Like Tricia said, it's best to avoid garbage miles.

MB Michelle: Hi! :flower3: As one lurker to another, it's great to see you posting here!

Allyson: Girl! I love MfM and it sounds like you're really happy with the schedule you set up. Those mental hurdles are the worst, I'd rather do hills. But you can overcome them. I'm so glad you get to run with DH now and again. Is he doing the 1/2 too?

Kira: You're in for January, too, right? The 1/2? Is your family coming?

Maura: Yes, the sundae cups of ice cream will runneth over in January, won't they? Double-Ugh to clothes shopping. Unless it's running gear (or pajamas), I'm not that interested. Then again, I wear sneakers to work, so I' not exactly fashion forward. And I don't even know what that means. How did running outside go for you? It's been so long since I've been here regularly that I don't even know how your training's been going--are you still planning on a tri?

Cecilia: I'm glad to hear you were able to get a good 8 miler in post-surgery, without any nasty aftereffects of the anesthesia. I hope your surgery went well, too, and was minor.

As for me: A 10 miler today, but not stellar. I've been experiencing low energy for a couple of weeks, but think it's because of scheduling changes and fueling issues. So I just concentrated on finishing my run without stressing too much on the time. Bleh. This next week I'm going to focus on getting back into a proper training program, rather that just focusing on getting my miles in. That includes sleeping properly, fueling, a goodly amount of XT, and posting here. (After all, you all motivate me in ways I can't begin to describe.)

Speaking of fueling, what better way to top off a LR than a tasty bite of...I know you think I'm going to say ice cream...a Nestle Toll-House Cookie? I made them today, and enjoyed a couple with a glass of milk. They made me think of AmyBeth and Scott. It was a good finish to a difficult run.

As for me: A 10 miler today, but not stellar. I've been experiencing low energy for a couple of weeks, but think it's because of scheduling changes and fueling issues. So I just concentrated on finishing my run without stressing too much on the time. Bleh. This next week I'm going to focus on getting back into a proper training program, rather that just focusing on getting my miles in. That includes sleeping properly, fueling, a goodly amount of XT, and posting here. (After all, you all motivate me in ways I can't begin to describe.)

Speaking of fueling, what better way to top off a LR than a tasty bite of...I know you think I'm going to say ice cream...a Nestle Toll-House Cookie? I made them today, and enjoyed a couple with a glass of milk. They made me think of AmyBeth and Scott. It was a good finish to a difficult run.

Great job Debra!! I guess just give it a couple of weeks to get back in the swing of things and then start putting together a exercise routine that works for you. I just started focusing on time after the DL Half. Training for that was just getting the miles in mostly due to the heat and humidity. I am suppose to start my training program for the half in another week. Seeing as how I just finished my Half, I will keep my Sundays to like 6/8/10 miles and then go back and then when my schedule call for more than 10 I will do it then.
I know what goes great with Toll House Cookies......you guess right.... ICE CREAM. Like make a ice cream sandwich with the Toll House Cookies - YUMMMMM. ( I think I need to go get some ice cream - Edy's Cookies and Cream.)

BTW: Where are AmyBeth and Scott?? Last I heard they were in Los Vegas. Does anyone know??
Got back Debra and Duckie, now we need AnyBeth and Scott.

Take care, Tracy

Sniff, sniff, sniff...

Cookies, ice cream. Must be a WISH dream I'm having.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter