Women should be MOTHERS NOT CEO's Graduation Speech

Did you read his speech? Did he say that?

He said: "But I challenge you to recognize what the world scoffs at, that your greatest role in your life will be that of wife and mother. The greatest impact you could ever contribute to our world is a loving investment in the lives of your precious children. To solve the problems plaguing our society, we don't need more women CEOs. We need more women as invested mothers."

No. My greatest role will not be as a mother. I can have an equally great (or greater) impact through other means and contribute to the world in many more ways than simply adding to its bulging population. Women are capable of so many things beyond making babies. We can be leaders, inventors, scientists, teachers... All of which add to society.

If couples want children, that's fine. But it is not a foregone conclusion that women take over child care while men work. That works for some people but certainly not all, and to suggest motherhood is of the highest value is demeaning and sexist. It should also not be a foregone conclusion that women should have children.

I find it interesting that so many people think that life in the 50s and 60s, where most women were SAHMs, was the best life for kids. Don't get me wrong, I loved my mom. But, the attitude toward kids, at that time, was so different than today.

My mom rarely asked me anything about what was happening in school. As long as I was doing my homework, which she never checked, everything was good. As long as I brought home a passing grade in each subject, everything was good.

When I got home from school and during the summers, I would leave the house for hours at a time. She had no idea where I was or what I was doing. As long as I was home in time for dinner or bedtime, everything was good.

This is not a slam on my mom. She was a wonderful mom. This was just the attitude of the majority of moms at the time. The world was a much kinder place, or so they assumed, and there was no need to keep closer tabs on kids. That was the belief.

I am a single mom. I worked a full time job in a highly competitive profession. When I was at work, I gave it my all. When I was home, I gave my all to my daughter. She did go to daycare before and after school and during the summer months. While there, she interacted with other kids. She learned things and went on educational field trips. I don't think the time was wasted at all. I believe her time at daycare was a lot more educational than it would have been had she been at home all the time.

I really can't think of any way I could have given more to my daughter. We are as close as any mother/daughter could be. If I had had the option to be a SAHM, I can't see how this could have resulted in anything better.

He said: "But I challenge you to recognize what the world scoffs at, that your greatest role in your life will be that of wife and mother. The greatest impact you could ever contribute to our world is a loving investment in the lives of your precious children. To solve the problems plaguing our society, we don't need more women CEOs. We need more women as invested mothers."

No. My greatest role will not be as a mother. I can have an equally great (or greater) impact through other means and contribute to the world in many more ways than simply adding to its bulging population. Women are capable of so many things beyond making babies. We can be leaders, inventors, scientists, teachers... All of which add to society.

If couples want children, that's fine. But it is not a foregone conclusion that women take over child care while men work. That works for some people but certainly not all, and to suggest motherhood is of the highest value is demeaning and sexist. It should also not be a foregone conclusion that women should have children.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

This speech should not have been delivered to an entire graduating class. It's completely insensitive and in my opinion is not age appropriate. At least not in 2013.

A woman's greatest role in life isn't necessarily to procreate. We are no longer in the same world we were in in the 40s and 50s. And I'm very thankful for that.

I find it interesting that so many people think that life in the 50s and 60s, where most women were SAHMs, was the best life for kids. Don't get me wrong, I loved my mom. But, the attitude toward kids, at that time, was so different than today.

My mom rarely asked me anything about what was happening in school. As long as I was doing my homework, which she never checked, everything was good. As long as I brought home a passing grade in each subject, everything was good.

When I got home from school and during the summers, I would leave the house for hours at a time. She had no idea where I was or what I was doing. As long as I was home in time for dinner or bedtime, everything was good.

This is not a slam on my mom. She was a wonderful mom. This was just the attitude of the majority of moms at the time. The world was a much kinder place, or so they assumed, and there was no need to keep closer tabs on kids. That was the belief.

I am a single mom. I worked a full time job in a highly competitive profession. When I was at work, I gave it my all. When I was home, I gave my all to my daughter. She did go to daycare before and after school and during the summer months. While there, she interacted with other kids. She learned things and went on educational field trips. I don't think the time was wasted at all. I believe her time at daycare was a lot more educational than it would have been had she been at home all the time.

I really can't think of any way I could have given more to my daughter. We are as close as any mother/daughter could be. If I had had the option to be a SAHM, I can't see how this could have resulted in anything better.

I've always loved and admired your relationship with your daughter, Feralpeg. I agree with every word you said. :thumbsup2

I am a parent who was at this graduation on Sunday afternoon. In the audience were parents, the high school choir, all the teachers in the school system, the superintendent, school administrators, school board and grandparents and family of the 99 graduates. I was left speechless. There is video of the entire speech- although I am wondering if it will become available. The commencement was filmed for families to purchase---I did not purchase one.
There are very many parents (actually the majority) who support his views. This is a small community, where people grow up and don't leave. Most people are related in some way to everyone.
While every person is entitled to their view, I did not agree that this was the right forum for Mr. Heck to deliver this speech. He does speaking all around the area at churches and other places. Those are more appropriate than a high school graduation.
Mr. Heck is a well like teacher by his students. He is a dynamic speaker and can capture your attention. The speech started almost in a way that could have been deemed 'racist' by some. Talking about a Mercedes at a stop light cranking music loud while he was in his van listening to Disney songs.
Whether the superintendent read this speech before hand or not will probably remain a mystery. Within this community nothing will happen to Mr. Heck until he is ready to leave the school. That's the way it is.
I have heard that mouths dropped open when employees heard the speech--those sitting in the audience. BUT they know if they say anything there can be consequences. So you just don't say anything or just act like it didn't offend you. On a post by a school employee on social media website there are almost 100 likes by parents and former students saying how much they enjoyed his speech. On another social media site there is chatter of WE LOVE PETER HECK....so that tells you a lot.
I registered today so I could post on this. That is why a newbie. I did post the information about the mercedes at this time so if this entire speech comes out at some point it can be proven I was at the ceremony in the hot, unairconditioned Eastern gym on Sunday afternoon watching my child graduate~
Also in the speech Mr Heck talked about Lady Gaga as a role model for students (bad role model) and talked of a carpenter who lived 1000s of years ago. Meaning religion was also a part of his speech.
Mr. Heck is a very family oriented man, and I believe that is why he said this.

I am a parent who was at this graduation on Sunday afternoon. In the audience were parents, the high school choir, all the teachers in the school system, the superintendent, school administrators, school board and grandparents and family of the 99 graduates. I was left speechless. There is video of the entire speech- although I am wondering if it will become available. The commencement was filmed for families to purchase---I did not purchase one.
There are very many parents (actually the majority) who support his views. This is a small community, where people grow up and don't leave. Most people are related in some way to everyone.
While every person is entitled to their view, I did not agree that this was the right forum for Mr. Heck to deliver this speech. He does speaking all around the area at churches and other places. Those are more appropriate than a high school graduation.
Mr. Heck is a well like teacher by his students. He is a dynamic speaker and can capture your attention. The speech started almost in a way that could have been deemed 'racist' by some. Talking about a Mercedes at a stop light cranking music loud while he was in his van listening to Disney songs.
Whether the superintendent read this speech before hand or not will probably remain a mystery. Within this community nothing will happen to Mr. Heck until he is ready to leave the school. That's the way it is.
I have heard that mouths dropped open when employees heard the speech--those sitting in the audience. BUT they know if they say anything there can be consequences. So you just don't say anything or just act like it didn't offend you. On a post by a school employee on social media website there are almost 100 likes by parents and former students saying how much they enjoyed his speech. On another social media site there is chatter of WE LOVE PETER HECK....so that tells you a lot.
I registered today so I could post on this. That is why a newbie. I did post the information about the mercedes at this time so if this entire speech comes out at some point it can be proven I was at the ceremony in the hot, unairconditioned Eastern gym on Sunday afternoon watching my child graduate~
Also in the speech Mr Heck talked about Lady Gaga as a role model for students (bad role model) and talked of a carpenter who lived 1000s of years ago. Meaning religion was also a part of his speech.

Wow. That seems like a highly inappropriate speech to me. However, I do not know anything about the school or the area. Is it a religious school? A very religious community? I can see where in those cases, it may not seem as far off base as in other areas. There is no denying, though, that it sounds as if he was telling the graduates what their roles in life should be, and it doesn't quite fit with the times.

As said in the article about "Mr. Heck":

Heck was the senior class sponsor and, according to his website, is a conservative motivational speaker and a radio talk show host.

This is not a new conservative viewpoint, it's quite representative of that agenda. And Mr. Heck HAS an agenda. One that lifts HIM up and keeps things the way it benefits him.

Mr. Heck can go to heck.

Wow. That seems like a highly inappropriate speech to me. However, I do not know anything about the school or the area. Is it a religious school? A very religious community? I can see where in those cases, it may not seem as far off base as in other areas. There is no denying, though, that it sounds as if he was telling the graduates what their roles in life should be, and it doesn't quite fit with the times.

I graduated from EHS. So, this is what happens after I escape! Thank goodness this speech didn't happen in front of my class. We were controversial all on are own.

Anyway, Greentown is an extremely small town where everybody knows everybody and everybody's business. I'm a transplant rather than a native Greentuckian, which means I never had the right last name, at least when it came to sports.

Greentown is a very much a Mayberry kind of town. Lots of farmers and farm kids. My graduating class was like 75. I wouldn't say it's a religious school or overly religious town, just normal I guess. It's a country school, but it's one of the best schools in the area with regards to education. Just your normal every day, average kids and families.

It's kind of hard to believe all this drama is coming from my hometown and alma mater. Weird!

I graduated from EHS. So, this is what happens after I escape! Thank goodness this speech didn't happen in front of my class. We were controversial all on are own.

Anyway, Greentown is an extremely small town where everybody knows everybody and everybody's business. I'm a transplant rather than a native Greentuckian, which means I never had the right last name, at least when it came to sports.

Greentown is a very much a Mayberry kind of town. Lots of farmers and farm kids. My graduating class was like 75. I wouldn't say it's a religious school or overly religious town, just normal I guess. It's a country school, but it's one of the best schools in the area with regards to education. Just your normal every day, average kids and families.

It's kind of hard to believe all this drama is coming from my hometown and alma mater. Weird!

Your words rings so true! I am a transplant also with kids in the EHS school system. Mayberry is the perfect word for Greentown- down to the two town officers patrolling. The school tests highly on the state tests, has a high graduation rate and you can tell from the sports results that education is a priority (although this year we a few state champs in track).

Eastern is a good place, but this is not how you want it to become known. This venue of a high school graduation is not an appropriate place for Mr. Heck to speak his view. Another venue is fine, but not a high school graduation ceremony. Most people liked it- that is there view and what is the norm around Greentown. I guess those of us who are outsiders find it hard to swallow that this can be said. Eastern does get away with having religious stuff in class- my kids had classes at the elementary where they could participate in a group prayer before lunch.

As said in the article about "Mr. Heck":

I don't know if you are questioning whether I am legit or not but I can guarantee I was there. I will not name my kid or give identifying factors because I don't want to be known as the parent who spoke their mind and have it taken out on my kids still in school. This is the good old boy system where it is who you are, who you are related too type of town. Dad still coaches high school teams so child advances and gets all the playing time type of place

Mr Heck is expecting child number 3----think this is third one in under 5 years so he is obviously happy with the barefoot and preggers life.

Wow...... It's a Small World after all! For a small town, we have several EHS grads & families on the DIS.

(insert apology for having that song in your head for the rest of the day:rolleyes1)

I'm an EHS grad from the early 70's and have had family in the system since the early 60's. The town demographics haven't changed much over the decades. Sorry to hear that your name still makes a difference, though.

Your words rings so true! I am a transplant also with kids in the EHS school system. Mayberry is the perfect word for Greentown- down to the two town officers patrolling. The school tests highly on the state tests, has a high graduation rate and you can tell from the sports results that education is a priority (although this year we a few state champs in track).

Eastern is a good place, but this is not how you want it to become known. This venue of a high school graduation is not an appropriate place for Mr. Heck to speak his view. Another venue is fine, but not a high school graduation ceremony. Most people liked it- that is there view and what is the norm around Greentown. I guess those of us who are outsiders find it hard to swallow that this can be said. Eastern does get away with having religious stuff in class- my kids had classes at the elementary where they could participate in a group prayer before lunch.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I don't know if you are questioning whether I am legit or not but I can guarantee I was there. I will not name my kid or give identifying factors because I don't want to be known as the parent who spoke their mind and have it taken out on my kids still in school. This is the good old boy system where it is who you are, who you are related too type of town. Dad still coaches high school teams so child advances and gets all the playing time type of place

Mr Heck is expecting child number 3----think this is third one in under 5 years so he is obviously happy with the barefoot and preggers life.

:eek: :eek: I see this statement as being no better than the inflammatory statements Mr. Heck made. There are plenty of people who have three children in a five year span and that doesn't mean they subscribe to the "barefoot and preggers life." :sad2:

Not all women are cut out to be SAHMs and these children are often better off in daycare. My mother stayed home with us because that's what she thought she should be doing, but I have no doubt all our lives would have been better had she had a job. She was so unhappy and turned to alcohol to relieve her boredom, taking her frustrations out on my sister and me. It was horrible. My sister is in her 40s and is still suffering the fallout from our upbringing. :sad2:

Yes! This was my DH's situation. So many issues that his mother had and a father who was physically and emotionally distant. She was a SAHM because she said that she would have ignored her kids and just focused on her job. They probably have been better off. The result of her choice Ian's that of her husbands is that my DH hasn't a clue. It takes constant work on his part and mine to make sure he's appropriate with the kids.

On another note. There seems to be several stories out there about how terrible everything is because of working women. There is a MS senator who just said the same thing. Male by the way.

Sounds like the town I live in. And it isn't a small town as far as population goes, but definitely as far as mindset. Religion is a very big part of this area. Even at the hs graduations. One of my friends dd graduated from an area Catholic hs and even she said after attending one of our public school graduation ceremonies that it was way more religious than even hers was. And woe to those who do not drink the Kool aid. One day I hope to be out of here.

Would anyone even blink an eye if it was directed towards men? We don't need more CEOs we need more invested fathers? :confused3 I seriously doubt it, but since its directed towards women, we are shocked, dismayed, appalled, how dare thee suggest women stay home to be a full time mom. As a dad I would love for my SO to be a CEO so I could stay home and be a SAHD. :lmao: (Not that I have a SO at the moment just sayin)

But with that being said, women and men can be anything they want today. Its just one guys opinion, who really cares? Women are just as free to become a CEO as a man, so who really cares? Its not like anyone is suggesting "we need more laws to keep women away from the work place and in the home bare foot and pregnant where they belong!!!"

Would anyone even blink an eye if it was directed towards men? We don't need more CEOs we need more invested fathers? :confused3 I seriously doubt it, but since its directed towards women, we are shocked, dismayed, appalled, how dare thee suggest women stay home to be a full time mom. As a dad I would love for my SO to be a CEO so I could stay home and be a SAHD. :lmao: (Not that I have a SO at the moment just sayin)

But with that being said, women and men can be anything they want today. Its just one guys opinion, who really cares? Women are just as free to become a CEO as a man, so who really cares? Its not like anyone is suggesting "we need more laws to keep women away from the work place and in the home bare foot and pregnant where they belong!!!"

I think it's the fact that at a graduation, you should be telling the students to pursue their dreams and invest 100% in WHATEVER they choose to do, whether they start a family, join the military, go to college, or join the workforce. Not discouraging them from pursuing a professional career.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter