Work venting thread...

chwgmjay

I think your giraffe is being towed.
K... this is gonna be an off-topic rant, but one I need to get off my chest...

I work in a hotel.

The city is sold out tonight...

The number of people that have either called or walked in the door... "We're in town and can't find anywhere to stay, do you have any rooms for tonight?"

"I'm sorry, but unfortunately, downtown is sold out tonight... the closest hotel with rooms is about 5 miles outside of downtown."

"What? Why? How can you be sold out on a Tuesday?"

Let's see... there is the baseball game... there are various corporate conventions... it's July...

"Well I just don't understand how you can be sold out on a Tuesday... where am I supposed to find a room?"

Let's see... it's called... PLANNING! I'm sure you MAY have heard of it before?

I just don't understand how people can go somewhere without at least figuring out if they're going to be able to get a hotel room.

Well, people just think there is some hotel magic! Seriously, it's not hard tyo make a reservation, is it? Although I made a reservation for a hotel that night and when we got there, no room. They walked us to another property, but they were totally sold out before I made the reservation and the system let me. Maybe they have cancellations? I didn't know till we got there that it was the Albequerque Ballon Festival and we were dang lucky to get a room. The city was pretty much full.

Deep breaths, feel better, and don't let the guest see you roll your eyes!

work vent thread bahahahaha. I work in a hospital full of new residents who dont have a frighin' clue and patients who come in for band-aids. Get a grip people!

Gotta love people sometimes!

work vent thread bahahahaha. I work in a hospital full of new residents who dont have a frighin' clue and patients who come in for band-aids. Get a grip people!

Gotta love people sometimes!

I scraped my finger opening a toner cartridge bag tonight... can I use workman's comp to get a couple bandaids for that? ;)

K... this is gonna be an off-topic rant, but one I need to get off my chest...

I work in a hotel.

The city is sold out tonight...

The number of people that have either called or walked in the door... "We're in town and can't find anywhere to stay, do you have any rooms for tonight?"

"I'm sorry, but unfortunately, downtown is sold out tonight... the closest hotel with rooms is about 5 miles outside of downtown."

"What? Why? How can you be sold out on a Tuesday?"

Let's see... there is the baseball game... there are various corporate conventions... it's July...

"Well I just don't understand how you can be sold out on a Tuesday... where am I supposed to find a room?"

Let's see... it's called... PLANNING! I'm sure you MAY have heard of it before?

I just don't understand how people can go somewhere without at least figuring out if they're going to be able to get a hotel room.

:hug:
take a deep breath!

I have to say we do that a lot on spur of the moment get aways, but NEVER in summer, its always off season beach areas.........
I have been known to do the walk in a lot. but I would never try it in the height of summer in a major city! LOL

When driving to Miami I wouldn't make a reservation. I'd play it by ear as who knows when I'd feel like stopping. But we're talking stopping at a hotel off an exit of the highway. I wouldn't think about strolling into a hotel downtown somewhere and trying to get a hotel room. Although maybe they figure with the economy and stuff it wouldn't be a problem. What's the big deal about going 5 miles outside of downtown??

We need a work vent thread! :thumbsup2

I agree! I almost posted a work vent thread last week. As I posted on here, I had jury duty last Monday. During the summer we're working flex time, 4 8.25 hr days, with an extra day off. I emailed my boss Monday after I found out I wasn't selected on the jury and asked what hours I should work. I wasn't sure if I should work normal hours (7 hrs) for the rest of the week or flex time and be off on Friday. Her response was that I could do either, as long as I make up the time from Monday if I decide to flex. I'm assuming she means the extra 1.25 hrs. Now I normally wouldn't have any problem with that. However, just the Friday before that I was there until 8 pm, working 4 hrs late! That doesn't count for anything?? I was such a sour puss all week last week. I just worked normal hours the rest of the week. But I was PO'd. Especially since I was looking forward to being off that Friday b/c it'd give me a 4 day weekend.

I ended up taking a sick day Friday so I could have my 4 day weekend. At least I just used 1 sick day instead of 1.25 if I was flexing. But it still annoyed me I had to do that. To add insult to injury, a coworker had a death in the family and was on bereavement leave last Wednesday and Thursday. He still took Friday off as his flex day. How is that fair?

Sphyrna, DH is always wondering how other people at work get special treatment and he always gets the shaft. Sorry you had to use a sick day to get your time off! :hug:

It seems DH's employer is short staffed. They asked him to work last Friday, so he did, even though he wasn't very gracious about it. He does get a pay differential if he works extra shifts. This week a guy had a death in the family so they asked DH to work Friday again. He was mad, but he said he would do it. The communication has been spotty - nobody can seem to tell him EXACTLY what is going on. Yesterday they called and said they MIGHT have it covered so he can be off. Now he is REALLY mad and wants to tell them he isn't available and they will have to cover it without him. But if whoever covers does a crappy job then his commissions suffer. :sad2:

Oh this is too funny, I work at a hotel and I hear that all the time!

I was out at dinner tonight... and got a message on my phone. "You around?" so I mistakenly respond back, not thinking about what day today was.

My co-worker on nights called in sick today (payday) for like the 12th payday in a row.

So, after having slept for 13 hours yesterday and trying to flip my sleep schedule... and having been up since like 3 am with a few 30 minute naps in the middle... I'm supposed to be at work in less than an hour to work a 10 hour shift. I talked them into letting me come in an hour late and only work 9 hours.

But, I'm pretty pissed. 2 hours notice, having not slept at all today... It's pretty disrespectful of my co-worker to do this to me.

Man that sucks! I would have just said you couldn't go in. I feel your pain. The same coworker who still took his flex day after being off on bereavement leave has missed so much work lately. He ran out of sick days so any time off was unpaid. July 1 we got our new allotment of sick days. One coworker said out of the 14 days of work since then he's been off 10 days. He hasn't been in at all this week. Worse part is him and my boss are like best friends, so it's hard to say anything. But even this is too much for her. She addressed it in our staff meeting Tuesday. When he called off sick yesterday she sent an email saying she's had enough and would take care of it. We'll have to see what happens. If I were you, I'd definitely say something. If you don't feel comfortable saying something to your coworker then talk to your boss. I'm sure they've noticed the pattern too, but say something just in case. Plus it will show them that others have noticed the pattern too.

Man that sucks! I would have just said you couldn't go in. I feel your pain. The same coworker who still took his flex day after being off on bereavement leave has missed so much work lately. He ran out of sick days so any time off was unpaid. July 1 we got our new allotment of sick days. One coworker said out of the 14 days of work since then he's been off 10 days. He hasn't been in at all this week. Worse part is him and my boss are like best friends, so it's hard to say anything. But even this is too much for her. She addressed it in our staff meeting Tuesday. When he called off sick yesterday she sent an email saying she's had enough and would take care of it. We'll have to see what happens. If I were you, I'd definitely say something. If you don't feel comfortable saying something to your coworker then talk to your boss. I'm sure they've noticed the pattern too, but say something just in case. Plus it will show them that others have noticed the pattern too.

Oh yeah... no, the manager knows... she brought it up to me... the first thing out of her mouth (well, her keyboard or whatever) was "Today was payday... guess who called off tonight."

If we refuse to come in when called in, it's a major strike against you for not "being part of the family."

But I don't think he'll do it again... the next 2 paydays are on the weekend (when I work anyway)... AND he got an earful from the manager apparently.

We'll see what happens.

It's a little more complex than I've let on though...

He works 4-10 hour nights, and I work 3-12 hour nights. He's been here longer, so he has the full 40 hours, but we both qualify as full time for benefits, etc.

We've been doing a lot of trading days lately... last week I worked Fri, Sat, Sun (my normal days) and then I worked Mon, Tues, and was supposed to have weds/thurs/fri/sat off, and then I was on Sunday again. This worked because the manager knew we were trading, and scheduled the shifts on either side of us accordingly so he wouldn't have OT. Well... now... (he hasn't called me yet, but I'm sure around 3 am I'll get a call... "I'm taking your Sunday for you.") he'll have a 12 hr shift, and get 2 hrs of OT on top of screwing me by making me come in on my day off, and losing hours because I'm covering a 10 hour (well... I made it 9 hrs) shift instead of my normal 12 hour shift.

So I worked 60 out of 120 hrs... well... closer to 63 because Friday I worked about 12.5 hrs, and had 11.5 off, Saturday I worked 12 and had 12 off, Sunday I worked 13ish hours, and had 11 off, Monday I worked 13.5 hrs and then had 10.5 hrs off and then worked 12 hrs Tuesday and got off at 9 am Weds, then (if I'd worked the full shift tonight) would have had 36 hours off before another 10 hour shift... off at 9 am Weds, back at 9 pm Thurs... How is this fair to me?

Like I said, it's just disrespectful to me to have to deal with this stuff.

Blah.

Went to the post office yesterday, the customer who just finished up came back to the counter asking if she could "add something else" to her pakage. The clerk gave her a blank stare for a few seconds and then explained it had already been weighed and processed, "sorry no". The lady walked out in a huff, mumbling things. Seriously I have at least one customer like that every day. It was fun to see it from the other side of the counter :rotfl:

I'll definitely admit to having travelled without reservations. When I'm on a long road trip I don't want to have a fixed spot that I feel like I need to get to or need to stop at if I'm having a slow or fast drive. (That said, we loved the place we stopped on our last drive down to HHI that we're thinking of aiming for it again on drives to HHI or WDW. Thus, we might consider making an advance reservation.)

Well... now... (he hasn't called me yet, but I'm sure around 3 am I'll get a call... "I'm taking your Sunday for you.") he'll have a 12 hr shift, and get 2 hrs of OT on top of screwing me by making me come in on my day off, and losing hours because I'm covering a 10 hour (well... I made it 9 hrs) shift instead of my normal 12 hour shift.

Why not just say, "sorry, that would give you overtime and cost me hours that I can't afford. You can have the last 8 hours of the shift if you wish, but, I'll be working the first 4." (Realistically, it could go the other way and you could work the last 4, but, it's easier to make sure you get the hours if you get there first and it's easier to deal with the situation if he tries to mess with you by not showing up.)

OH MY GOD! Is there actually a work venting thread? I would win. Seriously, hands down. I work at a bowling alley, at nightime, with a full bar, and an iliiterate and ignorant boss.

OH MY GOD! Is there actually a work venting thread? I would win. Seriously, hands down. I work at a bowling alley, at nightime, with a full bar, and an iliiterate and ignorant boss.

Oh my gawwwwd! :rotfl: That sounds like a segment of Sordid Lives! LOLOL.

Feel free to share your stories. :) We're here for ya. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter