Workaversary Celebration Trip- March 2022

Shrfleen

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone and welcome to my trip report. My name is Shauna and I will be doing most of the reporting. Joining me on this adventure was my twin sister Sarah (@SarahSnow), she may chime in from time to time. You can check out our pre trip report for this adventure, here.

What is a workaversary trip you may ask? Well, it’s a celebration of working of course! My boss is just as much of a Disney fan as we are and she sent me and my guest (Sarah) on a trip to Walt Disney World!

A little background on us...we are 31, living in Indiana and love Disney! You can check out our previous Walt Disney World vacations by checking out the links to the trip reports in my signature below. We love to share our love of Disney with our family and anyone who ask!

We stayed at Old Key West from March 6- March 9 and went to Epcot and Magic Kingdom. I wanted to go to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom but Sarah told me we aren’t allowed to go back to AK until the tumble monkeys returned (now they are announced to returning this Summer, might have to get another trip on the books!). Since we hadn’t been to Magic Kingdom since the 50th started we decided to go there and return to Epcot because we have never been to the Flower and Garden Festival.

Let's get started! and try to figure out why my pictures are sideways!

Day 0- “Look how shimmery it is! So pretty!”
Day 1- “It looks like they finished the Moana feature early!”
Day 2- “What are you doing? … I’m going on a scavenger hunt!” and Part 2
Day 3- “Goodbye, perfectly located room.”

Last edited:
Sunday, March 6 “Look how shimmery it is! So pretty!”

We woke up around 2am to get ready to head to the airport around 4:30am for a 6:15am flight. Flying with Southwest, especially into Orlando, I cannot stress enough the importance of Early Bird Check in. We luckily landed in Group A #36 and #37. On a completely full flight loading before Family boarding is a must if you want to be able to sit with your party.

Check in was fairly busy at the Southwest counter for so early on a Sunday morning but we didn’t have to wait once we got everything we needed from the kiosk. Security was only open in one terminal and the line looked long but was moving quickly. We waited from start to finish, maybe 10 minutes.

Our flight to Orlando was fine and we landed about 10 minutes prior to our schedule landing. We made our way to baggage claim in about 10 minutes and they were already sending out the bags from our flight. Picked up bags up and then made the trek back upstairs and through the airport to Terminal B for Mears Connect. Check in at Mears Connect was a breeze. I scanned the QR code they had sent me, confirmed the information and was put in a line and then right onto a bus in about 5 minutes. We waited about another 5 minutes before a few more people joined us and then we were on our way. I don’t know exactly what resorts the bus was going to after stopping off at Old Key West because Old Key West ended up begin the first stop. This was great! From wheels on the ground to feet on the ground at OKW it maybe took an hour, hour and fifteen minutes from start to finish. We had told the resort we would be checking in around 10am, when we arrived, we had not received word our room was ready so we dropped our bags with Bell Service and caught the first boat out of OKW at 10am for Disney Springs. While on the 20-minute boat ride, I got a text that our room was ready! Once we arrived at Disney Springs, we made our way over to Gideon’s to see if we could get in line. The line was already full and they had the virtual queue open with an approximate return time of 45 minutes to an hour. We decided we didn’t want to stick around Disney Springs that long so we did some window shopping before hopping in line for Chicken Guy shortly before their 11am opening. We were lucky enough to snag a seat inside. The weather was very sunny making it for an above average day in Central Florida. We were hoping for slightly cooler weather going this early in March but mother nature had other ideas.

Sarah and I both got the 3-chicken tender meal with fries and a drink and we split an order of fried pickles. The Donkey Sauce is just as good as I remember and I really thought about bringing the TSA approved liquid bottles with me to fill up with sauce to take home! Following our lunch, we did some shopping at World of Disney and then made our way to the bus to take it back to OKW since we were on that side of Disney Springs.

Our plan was to do some resort hopping after our Disney Springs trip but with the sun shining high in the sky and begin exhausted from our 2am wake up call we decided to just take a chill day at the resort before dinner at Olivia’s. We arrived at the Hospitality House and Bell Service assisted us with our luggage and took us in a golf cart to our room. We were located in Building 19, Miller’s Road section, in room 1910. I was very pleased with the location of this room. We had requested 1st floor and near a bus stop and that is exactly what we got! If you have trouble getting up and down stairs (especially after a hard day at the parks) I would recommend marking 1st floor as your primary room request and they will try their best to accommodate you. The bus stop was maybe a 2- or 3-minute walk from the room and there was a pool right around the corner. The Hospitality House was also about a 10–13-minute walk from this location.

Once we checked in with family that we had made it and settled in we decided to give the pool whirl. I have never had time to go swimming while at Disney and this felt like a good time to give it a try. The pool was quite busy for 2pm in the afternoon, mostly adults just chilling. We stayed for about an hour before we headed back for a quick nap.

(this is the view from the patio and view of the patio from the bus stop)

We took a bus to Hospitality to explore the main area of the resort, look through the gift shop (still never found an OKW pin!) and check in for our Olivia’s reservation. We went ahead and purchased some refillable mugs for our stay and filled those up and sipped on them while we killed some time relaxing watching the sun set.

Our reservation was at 6:20pm and the restaurant wasn’t that busy. There were still many tables open inside and out. Our waitress was very nice and since we knew what we already wanted ordering was a breeze. We got some ice water and rolls before they brought out of main food items. The butter they had for the rolls had a bit of kick to it. Not sure what it was but it danced a little on the tongue. We both ordered the 50th EARidescent Sip-a-bration drink and the Southernmost Buttermilk Chicken with mashed potatoes, southern gravy (on the side), a biscuit, and green beans. The food was delicious just as we had heard! The specialty drink for the 50th was very strong with lemon and so shimmery! It was beautiful and fun! I definitely recommend giving this place a try if you are staying at or visiting the OKW area! The food was very filling and I didn’t have enough room to try the banana bread pudding sundae as I had planned.

We decided to walk back to our room since the sun was down the weather was actually very pleasant. It was quick and easy and faster then waiting on a bus! We decided to call it a night since we would be waking up extra early to get to Epcot the next morning!

Monday, March 7- “It looks like they finished the Moana feature early!”

Epcot was scheduled to open at 9:00am and 8:30am for resort guest. We arrived to Epcot about an hour before opening to ensure we had time to get through security and took some non-busy photos of Spaceship Earth. Our plan was to ride some of the smaller rides but unfortunately, they were not open for early morning hours so our strategy changed to get photos of the topiaries while the crowds went to the rides. Frozen was down for the entire early morning hours so Remy was very busy and we don’t ride Soarin’ or Test Track. We were able to get so many good photos of the topiaries without people and a practically empty world showcase! We spent about an hour doing our topiary tour before we decided to hop on Gran Fiesta Tour, posted wait was 5 minutes but it was a walk on. We had a Lighting Lane for Frozen at 9am but it was still down so it switched to a use whenever. When we got off Gran Fiesta Tour, we saw Frozen was open, so we hopped in line with our Lighting Lane. It must have just opened back up and the posted wait was 50 minutes…there was no wait. We went right on! We decided to go visit Anna and Elsa since they had just opened up too, the posted wait time was 45 minutes, and it took us about 10 minutes. We did a little Flower and Garden Festival shopping and then snagged a LL for Figment; it had a posted wait of 15 minutes and we walked on.

We then decided to get a quick snack (Mikey pretzel and frozen code) and stop for a much-needed hydration break in front of the land. It was shaded and much needed since we had been going non stop all morning. We took our time and then made our way out of the park. It was getting pretty busy as we left and made our way to the bus stop. We waited about 15 minutes for the bus around 11:30am. Once we got back to the resort, we decided to give the Good’s Food To Go quick service a try. This place is tiny and was relatively busy. Sarah and I both ordered the Taylor Turkey Sandwich, fries and waters. We decided to fill up your mugs and walk back to the resort since it was quicker. We both got a different spread with the sandwich. Sarah and a garlic mayo and I’m not sure what I had but it was kinda like the dipping sauce you get with a blooming onion at Texas Roadhouse. Either way it tasted fine on my sandwich haha

We then took a power nap, hoping it would rain before we went back to Epcot as the weatherman predicted. No luck, but it did get pretty cloudy which helped cool everything down. We made our way back to Epcot around 5:30pm to get some last-minute pictures, rides and dinner at Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie. We rode Spaceship Earth, Nemo and the Land as we made our way to the World Showcase. We did LL for all of them, they hand 15-30mintue waits. The wait was very long maybe 30-40 minutes from entering to exiting. Shortly after we entered line it started to pour! We were lucky enough to be inside during this time. Sarah ended up with the Dinde B.L.T. (Turkey, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and Garlic Aioli) because they didn’t have anymore of the ham sandwich and I had the Poulet au Pistou (Chicken Breast with Cheese, Tomato, Red Onion and Pesto) with a Napoleon for dessert. We were able to snag a table when some got up and enjoyed our meal while it still poured outside. We finished our meal around 7:30pm and it was still pouring down rain. We waited for a little bit in the France gift shop, before we decided to make our way to Japan to see if the food booth was open. None of the booths were open due to the rain and lighting, and it was still coming down so we sought out shelter in Morocco. We had to pass through some SERIOUS flooding in Epcot to even make it to Morocco. The water was ankle deep in some areas!

I’m a little bummed that we didn’t get to sample any of the food during Flower and Garden Festival but Sarah did get her Orange Bird Sipper right before dinner so she was happy about that. The rain didn’t let up and 9 PM rolled around. They had been making announcements that Harmonious was delayed but we couldn’t really understand it while inside the pavilion. A cast member was asked by another guest if she thought Harmonious was going to happen tonight and she wasn’t sure. We made our way over to France to ride Remy since the extended evening hours were officially underway, the water was still ankle deep but the rain was not as heavy. Remy was basically a walk on and when we hoped off the rain had stopped and the pillars were lit for Harmonious. We were walking by saying to ourselves those are only on if the show is going to happen. They made an announcement the show was going to start soon so we found a spot in between Canada and the Port of Entry gift shop. We could mostly see the center screen from this spot. The show started maybe 5 minutes we found our spot. I don’t think we were in a bad spot but I don’t think the center screen was working. I didn’t see any effects on the water screen. It might have been the rain but I don’t think we got the whole show. I’ve been calling it Harmonious lite!

Following the show, we made our way to the buses. The rain had started again, we were soaking wet and had to walk through multiple ponds of water to get to where we were going, so we called it a day. We rode everything we wanted to, the only things left on our list were food items and the booths were closed. We walked by the walls for the new Moana attraction and I kid you not, they must have finished early with all the water there (haha). I hope it doesn’t contribute to future flooding in the future when it is done. The bus was full coming back, this was the busiest we had seen the bus all trip! We cleaned up, laid our clothes out to dry and called it a night!

Reactions: DLo
Tuesday, March 8 – “What are you doing? … I’m going on a scavenger hunt!” - PART 1

Magic Kingdom opened at 8:30am and we were at the park around 8am. We had been awake since around 6 though because we needed to use the hair dryer to try and dry out tennis shoes from the night before!

We waited on the Tomorrowland bridge and made our way to Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin at rope drop and it was a walk on with a posted 10-minute wait, we walked over to Little Mermaid and right on with a posted 10-minute wait. We went and met Tiana and Rapunzel when they opened at 9 AM and then headed over to see what the wait time was for Big Thunder Mountain, it was over an hour so we started a slow walk and hydration break before making our way over to the Haunted Mansion to use our LL, the posted wait was 25 minutes and we basically walked right on. We saw some of the Country Bears greeting people in Frontierland and had to stop and say high. After the Haunted Mansion we grabbed a small bite to eat from The Friar’s Nook via Mobile order, I had some cinnamon-sugar doughnuts, while Sarah opted for a frozen lemonade from a cart. After our quick snack we watched PhilharMagic (posted 15 minutes but it was more like a 5-minute wait), took some pictures of the 50th statues and caught Winnie the Pooh and Friends on a trolley on Main Street. We did some window shopping before it was time to check in for our The Plaza reservation. I checked in on the app and just a few short minutes later, we were inside at our table. I had wanted to order the Monte Cristo Sandwich but it was pretty hot outside and to avoid any tummy aches later in the day we both opted for the Plaza Turkey Club (roasted turkey, house-made bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise on toasted sourdough bread). The Plaza was pretty full with guest but our meal arrived quickly and was hot! We ate and then made our way to the entrance for our mid-day break. We waited about 15 minutes for the bus, which seemed standard for this resort coming from the parks.

We were able to stack our LLs in the evening like this: Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain and Jungle Cruise all pretty much back-to-back, we didn’t select any after Jungle Cruise because of the Enchantment After Dessert Party check in was at 7pm and we still needed dinner. A light rain started right after we got off of BTM and it continued to lightly rain as we made our way over to JC. It didn’t rain anything like it did the night before but I kinda wish it had because it would have cleared the park out a little for Enchantment and the late park hours. We placed a Mobile Order for Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Café Chicken Nachos (tortilla chips topped with queso, seasoned chicken, lettuce, tomato, sour cream and salsa). We were able to catch the Disney Adventure Friends Cavalcade right outside Pecos Bill’s before picking up our orders. I was so happy because I wanted to see all the cavalcades but we missed the other 2 because we were on rides and the rain. We had a quite dinner because I got notification that one of the accounts, I follow on Instagram had been hiding goodies around the Magic Kingdom earlier in the day. They 3D a lot of different Disney themed items and were hiding some of their products throughout the parks. I didn’t tell Sarah want I was doing I just kept saying “I need to go to the Haunted Mansion; I need to go to the Haunted Mansion.” We were watching the video over and over again until we found what we were looking for! It is this cute Haunted Mansion themed trinket box with a Disney pin inside. Once I found it (I think the people sitting near it were confused haha) Sarah wanted to see if she could find the others. We looked for the second one and some found it (it was in a much clearer spot) and she lost hope. But we still had time to kill so we went to look for the other one and she found it hiding under a trash can! It was a fun little game to play and I think the Magic Kingdom should get some scavenger hunts like Epcot!

Part 2 coming...I can only add 10 pictures per post!

Attachments

• 20220308_093223.jpg
    20220308_093223.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 5
Tuesday, March 8 – “What are you doing? … I’m going on a scavenger hunt!” - PART 2

It was then time to check in to get our After Dessert Party bands. It said to check in at the Tomorrowland Terrace and when we went to the first check in desk, they said it was on the other side of the building so then we hopped in another line and were able to get our wristbands and walk over to the viewing area. It was around 7:15pm at this time and the area wasn’t too full on the far-left hand side. We found on spot on the far left and against the railing to wait it out until the fireworks started. While we waited with a few other families along the railing in the back a couple cast members came in looking to park strollers. The first one found a spot after one family rearranged some of the strollers next to them and then another cast member came in and told us to move because the area along the railing was reserved for stroller parking. We had not been told this prior and there were not signs posted that said that. I personally don’t think strollers should be allowed in the viewing area. They should be parked up front with the wheelchairs/scooters or directly outside the viewing area. You can’t take your strollers on or into attractions so why is this different?

The show started and was ok. I didn’t love it. I did prefer the previous shows I had seen at the Magic Kingdom but this one was nice to watch. Sarah and I quickly made our way through the crowd back to Tomorrowland Terrace to check back in and get seated. We were seated quickly and the line hadn’t backed up yet so we were able to get some treats and drinks fast. I got one small plate and filled it up with half of the treats and then went back up and got the other half. It was a nice little break from the crowds exiting the park or moving on to rides and most of the desserts were good. I really enjoyed the butterscotch pudding!

Once we were done it was around 9:15pm and we decided to go see if we could get on Space Ranger’s Spin again. We were able to walk on. We then made it over to the People Mover were we surprisingly had about a 10-minute wait. We decided to go ahead and make our way to the front of the park and did some last-minute shopping and hopped in line to meet Mickey, it said it was a 5-minute wait and it was definitely more like a 15-minute wait. Grabbed some snacks for the morning on our way out and we were on our way. The bus driver wasn’t going to stop at the Miller’s Road stop because she thought we were with the only other party on the bus but she asked and we told her that we did indeed need to get off at the Millers Road stop. We crashed in our room around 11pm and called it a night. We could finally get some sleep the next morning since it was check out day.

Attachments

• 20220308_214935.jpg
    20220308_214935.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
What a nice day! Except for the rain but it didn't seem to ruin your day. We've never done a fireworks party but it might be fun to try. I agree with the stroller parking. I don't think they should take up what is probably a prime viewing area next to the railing. Nice you have a slower morning coming up. Wonder where you're moving to??

What a nice day! Except for the rain but it didn't seem to ruin your day. We've never done a fireworks party but it might be fun to try. I agree with the stroller parking. I don't think they should take up what is probably a prime viewing area next to the railing. Nice you have a slower morning coming up. Wonder where you're moving to??

Sadly our trip ended after our Magic Kingdom day. We moved to the Old Key West Lobby to wait for Mears transportation.

Wednesday, March 9- “Goodbye, perfectly located room.”

Finally, a day on vacation where we can sleep in! We woke up around 8am to finish packing up our luggage and eat a light breakfast. I called for bell service around 10:45am to come and pick up our luggage to store until 1pm when Mears arrives. We took our time getting the Hospitality House and just chilled in the check in area while we waited for 1pm to roll around. It was very quiet and peaceful there and Sarah even took a quick nap! Mears sent me a text message about 15 minutes or so before they arrived that provided me with a link to track the driver and he was picking people up at Saratoga Springs and then he came our way. As we made our way off Disney property it started to POUR down rain, like it had on our Epcot night. Our driver was very careful driver and we safely arrived at the airport. We checked our luggage and made our way to security. I dislike security at Orlando, it always seems to take so much longer than any other the other airports I’ve been too. I got a notification while in line that our flight had been pushed back 30 minutes. It took us about 40 minutes in security before we were at our gate. We were once again informed that our flight was full. This maybe the new normal as we reap the repercussion of COVID. I watched planes landing and taking off in the storm that was outside when finally, it stopped and our plane arrived. We boarded fine and everyone was accounted for and we started our taxi to the runway. Unfortunately, when we got to the runway we came to a complete stop! We set there for an hour before we were up in the air! It was awful, I don’t blame Southwest, I blame air traffic control in Orlando who couldn’t keep up with rerouting the flights away from the storm. I guess I can place some blame on Southwest because it was so HOT on the plane, I felt like I was in a sauna. Our pilots were awesome and shaved some time off of our flight as we made our way back to Indy. We were supposed to arrive before everything closed but with the earlier delay and then the runway delay, we got in right after everything closed for the night. This is a huge problem with Indy. None of the food places stay open for late night travelers. We were finally home and made the hour drive back home and crashed! It was a whirlwind trip!

Pros
• Room location and size was perfect.
• Crowds were ok. Epcot was amazingly not super busy in the morning and Magic Kingdom didn’t feel busy in the late afternoon.
• Mobile ordering worked great!
• Buses times at the bus stops matched that of the actual bus arrival times.
• Mears was great. Easy, speedy and efficient.
• Genie + worked well for us. We booked our first reservation at 7am everyday and went from there.
Cons
• Old Key West is BIG! If we had not been in the building, we were in I don’t think I would have liked it much.
• Side note- I didn’t have any hot water on the first night. I don’t know if it was because I showered late or what but water wasn’t a problem the rest of the time.
• The rooms at OKW need to be updated. They do not fit what I think DVC rooms should look like. They aren’t modern looking at all and still have old carpet.
• Disney always needs more water bottle refill stations!
• Disney also should invest in more resort mug stations at large resorts. Maybe one near every bus stop!
• OKW could use more food options with how large it is. Even if they just made Good’s bigger and had some indoor seating.
• Festival booths not open for EMH.
• They should have wait times listed at theme park bus stops!

Thanks for joining along! Hope to be back soon!​

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter