Working for the Walt Disney World Resort

hillg1868

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
I really want to find out what its like to work for the Walt Disney World resort. Not the DISUnplugged show version but more of the logistics version. Like, what a cast members daily duties included. Obviously this is going to be extremely different from the janitors to the ride operators which is why I created this thread. So if there are any cast members (past or present) share you daily duties (and maybe what you did/didnt/do/dont enjoy about it).

See you real soon!

Hotel GM here. Not for Disney but for a major Brand. It will be just like working in any hotel. Lots of pros and cons and definitely not for everyone

There is a CM thread on this forum too, I do not know the specifics to join.

DD works for one of the resort hotels. It's just like working any other job. She loves the company but the things she doesn't like are the things that people don't like about most jobs. She has to deal with guests complaints and guests ask for and expect the moon. She's had to deal with a guest complaining that it was raining and ruining her vacation and expected compensation.

Pay is bad, hours are long, you get little reward from the job other than your pass to the parks and a few guest tickets. And you may need a second job to have any extra money for enjoying life. Unless you are part time, then the hours are short and you definitely need a second job. It really isn't that much different than working at any other job. You're just working for a theme park. You'll have supervisors who got their job because of who they know, not what they know, just like every other job.

I think the average CM rate is $10 & change per hour. This is above the FL minimum wage which is $8 something but it's still not enough. There is a move to get the CMs a raise to $15 per hour, but that's still not enough. It would be fun and you'd learn some great stuff, but you likely wouldn't be happy knocking on the door of 30 and sharing a semi-crappy apartment with several other people. Best move: Do it and take advantage of every thing you can, then use Disney on your resume as a way to open doors to a better career.

A day in the life of a ODV cast member, Cashier edition.
Shift starts at 10:15. Wakes up at 8:45. Get dressed, eat some breakfast, take a quick shower.
Out of the house by 9:15. work takes about 15 mins. parking takes about 10 mins. Waits for shuttle to come and take CM to parkside.
Take 2nd shuttle to get on location. Wait for start time. 10:10, clock in with ID.
Head to lead desk to check in. start stretching based on a playing video. After that, locations are assigned. Lead announces any kind of information we need to know.
Money is distributed. Bags are scanned out as well as the cart key. Move to counting tables to verify change money is there.
Head out to stationed cart. an issue sheet is on top to show what is in cart. usually its a drink cart full of soda. Verify, sign and give main sheets to receiver.
drives cart to location. Verifies on stage cart that are locked and verify items.
Sell Sell Sell.
1st break.
Sell Sell Sell.
Lunch time.
Sell Sell, get stock. verify stock is correct based on sheet.
Sell sell Sell.
last break.
Sell Sell Sell.
Change over comes. changover counts stock. CM verifies the count. signed copy.
walk back to office. Give count sheet to receivers.
count money.
input your count into computer. leads verify count vs inventory to see how you match up.
good fund, close account, drop money into box.
Wait for clock out.
clock out.
Go home.
Sleep.

When I was a custodian in MK as a CP, we were guarenteed at least 30 hours per week. You could request time off, but it was rarely granted. If shifts weren't at least 8 hours apart, you would get time and a half. So I would often close the park, then my next shift would start 8 hours later to open the park. Considering back then MK could't bring their costumes home, you had to get to work early to catch a bus from CM parking, then change into your costume before starting your shift. Then you clocked out, changed, and had to catch a bus back to the CM parking (forget if your shift ended anywhere near Wishes - you were stuck at the exit of the utilidors until it was over because the area had to be clear for falling debris). There wasn't much sleep those nights when I had closing then opening shifts.
During the day you would often be approached to stay longer because someone had to leave or didn't come in. If it was super hot out they may have Gatorade backstage to keep you hydrated.
I loved it, but I was only 20 so I didn't really have any financial obligations to worry about. At $6/hr, I definitely wasn't in it for the money.

I think the average CM rate is $10 & change per hour. This is above the FL minimum wage which is $8 something but it's still not enough. There is a move to get the CMs a raise to $15 per hour, but that's still not enough. It would be fun and you'd learn some great stuff, but you likely wouldn't be happy knocking on the door of 30 and sharing a semi-crappy apartment with several other people. Best move: Do it and take advantage of every thing you can, then use Disney on your resume as a way to open doors to a better career.
Disney pays according to skill. Benefits are very good for full time. Not too many skills needed for most of the jobs, so $15 a hour isn't necessary. It's not the employer's task to pay a wage the employee can live on. It's the employee's task to learn the skills needed to get a better paying job. Rent is high in Orlando, near Miami prices.

the last time we were at WDW we were chatting with a CM who was a boat captain and he mentioned that a lot of retirees work at WDW, and he mentioned that the benefits are very good. And he loves his job. Not the salary though, but if you are a retiree with several pensions, SS and 401, the salary takes second over the benefits.

My dd did the College Program from 9/16-5/17. She had too many points against her (absences due to illness for the most part, some were just call outs), so she couldn't apply for permanent work for six months. She went to work for Universal, p/t. She lived in a nice apt, with two others..barely made ends meet. She went back to Disney in late January, p/t, and stayed p/t at Universal as well. Still barely made ends meet due to few hours.
She just started f/t, at Pirates of the Caribbean a week ago. Today she is assessed. She loves working for Disney. But, it's still a job! There have been three days this past week that she had to be at MK by 5:30am!!! Other times it's been 8am. She hopes to cross train at Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise.
She plans to stay in Orlando, and see what happens with Disney. Probably for about 7 years. She doesn't plan to get $10 an hour forever! She doesn't know where it's going to lead but she's willing to see what happens down the road.
The working conditions can be tough. When it's summer there, it's brutal! Bad enough when you're a guest, there for a week or so. But, try being a CM, standing out in the heat/humidity, dealing with cranky guests, in July/August, for 8 hrs a day. Grueling.
I know that many older people love working there...I will most likely join their ranks in a few years. The benefits are pretty good. There are snowbirds that work seasonally as well!

When DD is working days she starts at 5:30am. If she is working night she starts at 3pm. She is full time in a lead position and while she doesn't make a huge salary it is on par with what the company I work for starts people fresh out of college. She is making enough to pay for a 1BR apt by herself.

The hourly positions pay much less and would be very hard to live on.

As long as it was a professional corporate job I think I would like working for Disney. Corporate level accounting, IT, finance, purchasing, etc. I wouldn't want to have any guest interaction but that goes for anywhere. I am past the portion of my career where I have to deal with the general public at all.

Disney pays according to skill. Benefits are very good for full time. Not too many skills needed for most of the jobs, so $15 a hour isn't necessary. It's not the employer's task to pay a wage the employee can live on. It's the employee's task to learn the skills needed to get a better paying job. Rent is high in Orlando, near Miami prices.

What a crock of hooey.

So if pay stinks, hard to get time off, have to end one shift and be back within 8 hours for start of next shift (is this legal?), how do they keep employees with such positive attitudes? This is one thing that makes a trip to Disney special, is all the magic moments made by cast members.

So if pay stinks, hard to get time off, have to end one shift and be back within 8 hours for start of next shift (is this legal?), how do they keep employees with such positive attitudes? This is one thing that makes a trip to Disney special, is all the magic moments made by cast members.

My theory is their use of college program and international program cast members (and to a lesser degree, retirees). In general, CPs are thrilled to be there, don’t have families/households to provide for so they can live off the wages, are worked to death, and then are done in a few months before they can truly get burnt out. Then are replaced by another group of smiling, eager college students. Retirees don’t have to worry about making ends meet and probably work fewer hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter