Worth it for a 5 year old

lynnzrae

Mouseketeer
Hello Everyone

I am suprising my will-be 5-year-old son with a trip to WDW over his birthday the end of June 2019. It will only be him, myself and my mother. My husband and younger children are going to stay home this time. I am wondering if it is worth surprising him with a dessert party. For those of you that have taken their younger children, did you find that it was worth the price at this age or worth waiting until they are a bit older? I was thinking it may be worth it to wait until the whole family comes back in 2022? If you do suggest the splurge for him is there one that is best for someone his age? I was thinking either the Star Wars or FEA ones b/c it seems like you get a little more bang for your buck but I am interested in any of them. I guess they aren't all offered every day and I would be looking to do it on his birthday which will be a Monday.

Is there something else that would be a better splurge that would be more memorable for a 5 year old?

Honestly, at the end of the day, a trip to Disney should be splurge enough but I can't help myself. :)

I don’t know... when I think of special experiences FOR a 5 year old, I think of things like EMM over something like the dessert parties.

I’ve taken my kids (8 and 4) to most of the dessert parties and while they are fun and all, for us they are kind of more for the enjoyment / convenience of the adults more so than something a younger person truly soaks in as being special. I could buy a lollipop and squat in the Hub and they’d be thrilled, they are more or less just along for the ride with the dessert parties.

When DS was 5, we did one of those Disney Floral & Gift deliveries in the room as our “big birthday thing” that trip. We really enjoyed that and still have many of the toys that came with it.

All of that being said, if you’re focused on a dessert party, I like the Illuminations/FEA one because it’s rather small / intimate and includes a ride. We really enjoyed that one as a family.

Happy planning!

Personally, I think the dessert parties are rip offs for any age, far too expensive. I'd rather spend the money on other things. If you want to see FEA, take him to Goofy's Candy Shop before you stake out your spot and pick out his favorite dessert. Might cost you $10. Find your spot, relax, enjoy the dessert and then watch the show. We've been doing this with our kids for years...costs far less than the dessert party and they love it.

It's your disney magic, so if it's within reach then you do what you think he will enjoy!

Just be aware that Disney days are long and tiring for little ones, even with a break in the middle, and a dessert party might be adding a lot onto an already overwhelming day. Knowing my kids, had we gone when they were younger I would have been very hesitant to book something late in the day that I couldn't cancel at the last minute (I had one who could melt down after dinner but wasn't very predictable about it). You know your kiddo best, and can judge his stamina and composure in the evening better than anyone.

Everyone's comments were super helpful and kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. I will look in to the gift delivery to the room option. Thank you again!

I don’t know... when I think of special experiences FOR a 5 year old, I think of things like EMM over something like the dessert parties.

I’ve taken my kids (8 and 4) to most of the dessert parties and while they are fun and all, for us they are kind of more for the enjoyment / convenience of the adults more so than something a younger person truly soaks in as being special. I could buy a lollipop and squat in the Hub and they’d be thrilled, they are more or less just along for the ride with the dessert parties.

THIS!

We took our trip 6 months ago with my 5 and 8 years old and they both struggled to stay up until the fire works quite honestly because we had such active days. We did do the fireworks party for The Star Wars show at Hollywood Studios and the kids loved it! And we watched the Fireworks and Magic Kingdom one night ... But out of a 8 night trip we only watched 2 fireworks shows because the family was pretty pooped by the end of the night each time.

If I had to choose a really special thing for the kids I would choose Early Morning Magic because they loved riding the Mine Train and the other Fantasy Land rides (We were not there for the opening of Toy Story Land)! My kids are early risers in general and this is a limited person situation so you can pretty much walk on to the rides and ride your favorites a few times before the crowds hit! It has been a solid 6 months since our trip and my 5 year old STILL talks about the rides ... so if you want memories that is where I would spend my money! :)

THIS!

We took our trip 6 months ago with my 5 and 8 years old and they both struggled to stay up until the fire works quite honestly because we had such active days. We did do the fireworks party for The Star Wars show at Hollywood Studios and the kids loved it! And we watched the Fireworks and Magic Kingdom one night ... But out of a 8 night trip we only watched 2 fireworks shows because the family was pretty pooped by the end of the night each time.

If I had to choose a really special thing for the kids I would choose Early Morning Magic because they loved riding the Mine Train and the other Fantasy Land rides (We were not there for the opening of Toy Story Land)! My kids are early risers in general and this is a limited person situation so you can pretty much walk on to the rides and ride your favorites a few times before the crowds hit! It has been a solid 6 months since our trip and my 5 year old STILL talks about the rides ... so if you want memories that is where I would spend my money! :)
did you feel like the EMM was that much better than EMH that it was worth the additional cost?

My DS has never enjoyed the dessert parties to be honest. He has always loved eating at Rainforest cafe and Trex Cafe. Maybe try lunch or dinner there and order a birthday dessert with candle for a special birthday celebration. Hope you all have an amazing birthday trip!

I'll take the other side of this one. I took my kids last year to the HEA dessert party (they were 5 and 7). All day they felt like VIPs having access to the special event. They couldn't stop talking about it. The loved being able to choose from all the different desserts and they totally stuffed their faces. And once we were in the garden, they had a great time running around with other kids. And I felt better knowing they would not get lost in the sea of people out in the hub. I think it's a great event for kids and totally worth it. We'll be doing it again on our trip next week.

The dessert party is a lot of fun and the view is very good. You may also want to consider doing Pirates League with him in MK or the Pirates and Pals cruise out of CR.

The Pirates and pals cruise is a blast. There are all kinds of snacks before hand plus photo opportunities with Captain Hook and Smee. Then on the cruise part they do games, trivia, etc. with each child getting a small prize. When you get of there is a special surprise character waiting at the dock. I would recommend a nap that day as it does end fairly late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter