Would an 11 yr old girl like Whispering Canyon?

mala55

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to think of a good first night at Disney restaurant, but not ine in the parks, to kick off our vacation. We have been to Disney twice with our daughter. The first time when she was 6, we started the vacation with dinner at Chef Mickey's. The second trip when she was 9 we started with dinner at 1900 Park. Both were awesome and got us in the spirit.

We have done, and will again, go to Hoop Dee Doo as our farewell to Disney, so not an option for day 1.

My DD doesn't want to try the Spirit of Aloha luau.

My DD mentioned ESPN, but that just seems like a super sized sports bar. Right?

I'm thinking Whispering Canyon, however I'm also thinking it might not appeal to an 11 yr old. The ketchup thing might get an eyeroll? Do tweets like it? What do you think?

It will just be me, DH and DD.

I'm trying to think of a good first night at Disney restaurant, but not ine in the parks, to kick off our vacation. We have been to Disney twice with our daughter. The first time when she was 6, we started the vacation with dinner at Chef Mickey's. The second trip when she was 9 we started with dinner at 1900 Park. Both were awesome and got us in the spirit.

We have done, and will again, go to Hoop Dee Doo as our farewell to Disney, so not an option for day 1.

My DD doesn't want to try the Spirit of Aloha luau.

My DD mentioned ESPN, but that just seems like a super sized sports bar. Right?

I'm thinking Whispering Canyon, however I'm also thinking it might not appeal to an 11 yr old. The ketchup thing might get an eyeroll? Do tweets like it? What do you think?

It will just be me, DH and DD.
Every 11 year-old is different. That said, if she's the eyeroll type, she probably will think the Whispering Canyon Cafe antics are too juvenile to her.

Maybe T-Rex at Disney Springs?

Last edited:
I would have hated that sort of "interactive" restaurant at 11...of course, I still do, so that probably says more about me than the age!

I love WC, but I think it's geared more towards younger kids, unless your DD really likes the antics. My kids (DD10 DS6) still belly laugh at silly "grandpa" tricks - meaning Grandpa was literally tied to the chair because he was acting up at WC (shooting straw wrappers, etc.)

Ohana for dinner? limited menu, but they have the kids come up and dance and the girls get flower leis. If you time it right, you can see fireworks over the castle.

On the opposite end... what about the food court at Art of Animation? Have you walked around that resort? We love exploring over there - walking through the Lion King section at night is so cool!

I would have hated that sort of "interactive" restaurant at 11...of course, I still do, so that probably says more about me than the age!

My then 11y/o DGD loved the interaction of HDDR but refused to take any pictures with characters at the parks.
I showed her a youtube vid of Whispering Canyon and she nixed that too. When questioned why HDDR was OK but this one wasn't she said one restaurant was dark and the other wasn't. There's a certain logic in her response but sometimes I can channel my inner tween anddd sometimes I can't, LOL.

Knowing your child's personality is the best answer:).

We went in 2016. Daughters were 6 and 9. They loved it, my younger one is more outgoing but the older one even liked the antics. Our next trip is this April and the first thing they asked was whether we could go to WC again. We will be staying at WL, so that obviously makes a difference. I think it is one of those things that the child may not be crazy about participating in the antics (and you dont have to if you dont want to) but they find it entertaining watching other people making fools of themselves.

My DGD hated it even at 6. At 11 she would have been mortified. You knwo your DD< so let her personality be your guide.

Have you thought about dining on the Boardwalk? I know my DGD likes that area, and she really enjoyed her meal at Trattoria al Forno, and then strolling around the Boardwalk at night. The evening entertainment was fun, and the area has a festive atmosphere that is contagious. You could end the night with an ice cream from either B&C or Ample Hills.

My DS9 (soon to be 10) LOVES WCC and we ate there 3 times on our last trip (we were staying at WL). I could see how it could get an eye roll, however, if you're not into delivering condiments to other guests' tables, LOL!

As PP suggested, O'hana could be a lot of fun. It's more low-key than WCC though kids can participate in the limbo and coconut races if they would like. If you go that route, I would also suggest taking her to Trader Sam's when they open at 4 pm. They have really good "mocktails" (I order them too and they are only $4.99!) and you can watch the special effects and antics in the lounge. You could also then watch the fireworks from the Poly beach. That would make for a really fun night, IMHO!

Another option, pick a restaurant in the Boardwalk area (yes, ESPN is a big sports bar and restaurant. If she is into sports, it's pretty fun. My DS9 loves it there). Trattoria al Forno is good. If you like seafood, the Cape May buffet is good. You could then walk around the Boardwalk and see the evening entertainment (jugglers and magicians), get some ice cream at Ample Hills, rent a surrey bike, even walk over to Fantasia and play mini-golf (they also have carnival games). You can even see part of Illuminations from the bridge from BWI to EP. Again, while the restaurant itself may not be as exciting as Chef Mickey's or 1900, the whole evening is a lot of fun.

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I won't risk going to WC on day 1. Maybe later on our trip where if my DD isn't a big fan of it, it won't be on arrival day.

I'm liking the idea of the Boardwalk. We are staying at the BC so that would be convenient. I'm not ruling out Ohana either. I don't think she would feel comfortable with the coconut races at her age, but mocktails at Trader Ssms first might add to the vibe.

Thanks again!

I would have hated it at 11 as much as I would now. So I don't think her age has everything to do with it.

I'd go with food first and vibe of the place second.

My older son is almost 12 and he is easily embarrassed at this age and wouldn't participate in the stick horse races/would be embarrassed by the antics. It really depends on the kid, I think. We're doing Hoop Dee Doo, Ohana, and Raglan Road for our trip in February. Raglan Road has the Irish dancers at dinner and that should be entertaining for all of us.

We went there my first Disney trip, I think I was 12 or 13. I HATED it. I was painfully embarrassed by the antics (I mistakenly asked for ketchup and a drink refill).

I was also mortified last year at HDDR when I was chosen to participate on stage. Even though I enjoyed the meal and the rest of the show, I would have a really hard time going back there.

So, I'll be the one who goes against the grain here. We stayed at WL in June, ate there twice. My son loves pranks and prank type things, I however prefer to watch than be the target. Sadly for him, he didn't do anything to get the attention either time.

13/10 - have always loved it and still do. Nobody that we see eyerolls, or has an issue with the fun their are having. I mean, bringing the ketchup isn't a big deal.

I'm taking my 11 year old and 8 year old on our arrival day in November. This tween age is definitely interesting

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter