Would there be much interest in a bulb/plant exchange in the fall??

shep

Let me tell ya about our 2008 trip out west...
Someone could put a map of your zone and maybe we could have some sort of exchange this fall...any interest??

I have a bunch of Daylilies that desperately need thinning! I just hate to throw them away when i'm done. I'd be happy to contribute!:Pinkbounc

And I have very hardy iris rhisomes you can't kill with a stick! As many as people want!

I was thinking maybe a bulb exchange or seed exchange..don't know how it would work outside US though...:confused:
If anyone has something they want to get rid of, I would gladly give it a home..PM me and I'll give you my address.:) :) I drive DW insane with my flowers...lol

Shep I think it's a good idea.

You can dig the roots up in the fall, add damp peat moss, rap in news paper and put them in a plastic bag. I would recommend two-day delivery.

Could we ship out of U.S.????
Would that be a problem????
Wasn't sure how that would work since you're shipping plants...:confused:

Shep you can not ship out of the country. Thats how foreign bugs, seeds and disease are transferred.

Thats how we got the japanese beetle, and that terrible purple stuff (forgot what it called) that smothering all our swamps and killing off the native plants.

Originally posted by gina2000
And I have very hardy iris rhisomes you can't kill with a stick! As many as people want!

What's an iris rhisome? I love iris...

I can take a shot at this question.

A rhizome is like the plant's roots except it grows horizontally and sends out roots and shoots.

Could you successfully plant an iris in a pot? Starting with a rhizome? Like I said, I love iris :D My favorite are the purple and blue. I don't know if they'd even survive the heat and humidity of Houston, though :( Let alone surviving the Black Thumb of Rajah.

The "Black Thumb of Rajah"!? :eek: You are much too hard on yourself.

Good question - can anyone answer Rajah? How successful can one be planting irises in a pot? Personally, I would imagine one probably can, why not? But don't know for sure.

Yes, Rajah try it!

My .02 tips for what it's worth

Use a deep light colored plastic pot. Your strong Houston sun will cause the clay pots to dry out too quickly. Light color for the same reason.
Find a shady spot outside or keep it cool inside by a window after blooms fade for fake NE temps.

I love irises!!!! The small cobalt blue are my favs. Recently on local TV they showed a NJ garden with fields of irises. Just lovely.
BTW, how's your jade/money plant holding up?

Shep, that's a great idea. Count me in. For our overseas and Canadian DISers we could swap seeds and maybe garden tools or gadgets. For US DISers we could do plants/seedlings/bulbs whatever.
I'd love to have a DIS garden:bounce:

We'll do one this fall...I am looking forward to it..:D

Originally posted by Glinda
BTW, how's your jade/money plant holding up?

Well, I got it on Valentine's day and it not only isn't dead yet, but I'm seeing new growth, so I think it's doing really well ;) We decided it's an umbrella plant :) And I think the reason I haven't killed it yet is there's *no* question when it needs to be watered again. Since it's on a rock and soaks the water up through the rock, you can't over-water it, and since the rock just rests in a puddle of water, you can't *under*water it, either, because you know when the pool dries up it's time to water it again. And it actually still does well on the weekends when I leave it at the office and am not there to water it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter