• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would this be considered a bag?

Swilcox

Mouseketeer
If I wear my running belt into the parks would it be considered a bag and need to be searched?

It’s basically a flat fanny pack and is just big enough to hold a phone, keys, and id/credit card.

It will fit under a shirt but with what I’m planning on wearing it will be obvious I have something on

If I wear my running belt into the parks would it be considered a bag and need to be searched?

It’s basically a flat fanny pack and is just big enough to hold a phone, keys, and id/credit card.

It will fit under a shirt but with what I’m planning on wearing it will be obvious I have something on
Yes it's a bag

On our DHS studios day I plan to wear a Spi-belt with nothing in it. I will have my phone in my hand since its req'd to get a BG. I'm presuming I can go thru the no-bag line holding my phone and then put into the spi-belt once we're inside?

I have a hoodie from ScottEvest, which has a LOT of pockets. I am planning to put everything in the pockets and not carry a bag. Will they make me empty the pockets? The first goal is to not carry a purse, and the second is to skip the "bag search" line. Thx

Whether security makes you empty your pockets, the answer is. It's Disney's discretion. Disney will do what they see fit to ensure everyone's safety.

I have a hoodie from ScottEvest, which has a LOT of pockets. I am planning to put everything in the pockets and not carry a bag. Will they make me empty the pockets? The first goal is to not carry a purse, and the second is to skip the "bag search" line. Thx
Yes you have to empty the pockets if you gave anything that will trigger the machine. If you only have a couple of things you can hold them in your hands, raise your arms and walk through the metal detector. If it's a lot you put it in a small container

On our DHS studios day I plan to wear a Spi-belt with nothing in it. I will have my phone in my hand since its req'd to get a BG. I'm presuming I can go thru the no-bag line holding my phone and then put into the spi-belt once we're inside?

If you wear it on the outside of your clothes it is considered a bag. I know this because I went through at MK with one similar but it just slid up over my hips and really looked like a belt, you couldn't see any pockets because they are on the inside. It was totally empty, I had my phone and my little flip wallet in my hand. The guard made me go through the bag line, which meant shimmying out of it (I was wearing a sundress) and going through the bag line. The guard in the bag line looked at me like I was crazy but I just smiled and said she made me do it. From then on, when I wore it, it was under my dress, empty then then I went to the bathroom and pulled it over my dress. I have since bought new sundresses with pockets and skorts with pockets so no problem. And, my son has had to empty cargo shorts pockets because he had a poncho in them once and it kind of made the pocket bunch out. It wasn't a big deal he just pulled it out and the guard waved him through. He also always get pulled to go through the body scan at AK. The only thing we can figure is because he has visible tats, but he was in the Navy and still has the walk and wears his hair high and tight. They don't make me go through so even being with his little old lady Mom doesn't help.

No Bag Security:
If you can fit your bag and contents into your pocket or reasonably in your wasteband, you're good.
If you can unpack your bag and have enough room to temporarily put everything into various pockets or socks, you're good.
Your bag cannot be showing in plain view. That's the main criteria.
Cargo pants are your friend today :)

You can openly carry phone, keys, &/or drink. As long as you can stuff whatever else you have (lipstick, sunscreen, cards, slingshot, etc) into your pants/bra/socks/etc without bulging like you're carrying bowling balls you should be fine going thru No Bag line.

Once you get into the park, you can repack your bag and carry on as usual.

---
Interestingly there was 1 week early in the RoR madness where No-Bag Lines were backing up and security was not letting those people enter thru the shorter Bag Line. A fail-safe for that is stuffing a plastic bag in your pocket and taking it out and putting your phone or whatever else in there so you could use the shorter Bag Line. This only happened for a few days though, probably won't be a concern again.

I use a running belt just for my credit card, TiW card, ID and AP card. I put it under my shirt, carry the phone in my hand and go through Bagless line. You can’t see that I have this underneath. I’ve never been made to go through the bag line. I could put that stuff in my pocket, but I’m afraid something would fall out.

What is the difference between a Spi Belt and a fanny pack?
Just like people (mostly ladies) who have a wallet inside a purse, it all needs to be opened and searched. If it can be opened, it's a bag. Even if it's empty, it's a bag. Even if it's in your pocket, it's a bag.

Now... if it's a very small bag, and empty, and not going to set off a detector, shove it in a pocket and they probably won't notice or care. The value they get from the bag check has little to do with actually finding something dangerous. But if they feel you're trying to pull one over on them, they can really delay your park entry.

I roll in with a FoxFire photog vest most days which is more obvious about having a ton of pockets but essentially the same situation. I almost always take it of and offer it up for inspection as if it were a bag. I have asked on a few occasions whether I should consider my vest a bag or not and never got a straight answer. Usually they kind of chuckle and chat about this or that as they rifle my pockets. One time the guy did say he didn't know but if I went through the metal detector they weren't set up to search every pocket there so I would have to take everything out of every pocket and place in a basket for them to look at while I went through.

What is the difference between a Spi Belt and a fanny pack?

The spi-belt I have, with nothing in it could easily thread thru regular belt loops. The width of the "bag" portion with nothing in it, is about 1.5".

If women's shorts had pockets that could safely hold a phone on a fast/rolling/jolting ride, I wouldn't even both with the spi-belt, but my pockets will not be deep enough. I plan to wear shirts that do not tuck in (and are not clingy), so I would be shocked if anyone would even be able to notice I was wearing this belt underneath if nothing is in it.

As others have said, the two big things to keep in mind:

1. If it's visible, they'll want to search it.
2. If it would set off a metal detector, you need to be prepared to remove it from your pockets.

I was a little surprised the first time it happened, but it turned out to be a regular thing: even the soft case for my point and shoot camera had to be opened and inspected. If it was inside another bag, if it was in my pocket, whatever, I had to get it out and open it. It's literally just big enough to fit the camera and nothing else.

If it can be opened, expect it to be searched. If it would set off a metal detector, expect to have to get it out and show it to them. I've seen a lot of people advising cargo shorts on this board as a way to skip the bag inspection line, but as someone who wore cargo shorts to the park multiple days...nope. I just put anything metal in my bag, went through the bag line, and moved things to my cargo pockets afterward as needed. Anyway, I've never seen the bag line as such an incredible inconvenience to merit complicated workarounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter