Would you get a MB+?

foolish-mortal

Your ghost host
I'm kind of over the magic bands getting more and more expensive. I wish they were still simple and free when going to WDW. We are sailing on the Fantasy in June and going to WDW for a few days before. I was planning to bring our old MBs (not plus) with us and just use the lanyards on the ship. But since we can use them on the Fantasy I'm wondering if we should purchase MB+. If you've used them on the ships - what were your thoughts? Can you make purchases, open the stateroom doors, etc.?

I've used mine on the Fantasy in December. I thought it was very convenient, you can open your stateroom door, make purchases and all. Yes, you can use your card, but I felt much better by not having to carry a lanyard around my neck. The band lit up during the fireworks and had other interactions, which was a cute surprise.

I'm kind of over the magic bands getting more and more expensive. I wish they were still simple and free when going to WDW. We are sailing on the Fantasy in June and going to WDW for a few days before. I was planning to bring our old MBs (not plus) with us and just use the lanyards on the ship. But since we can use them on the Fantasy I'm wondering if we should purchase MB+. If you've used them on the ships - what were your thoughts? Can you make purchases, open the stateroom doors, etc.?

I don't love that we need to upgrade ours, but I figure we used our old ones for a decade now with trips to WDW, and now that the + versions works at WDW, Disneyland, and DCL, it's a rather small price to pay for the use I expect to get out of them. I don't love that they require a charge, and that it is a proprietary cord instead of something standard (very very dumb idea Disney), but when I found out they will essentially do everything except light up when not charged, I can live with that. I look forward to not having to fumble for a card when going in and out of my stateroom. I also tend to wear shorts with inferior pockets while cruising and have lost my KTWC more than once. Swimming will be easier too, since I won't need to stash my card somewhere. So I look at it like a small investment that will hopefully get another decade of use.

I just wish Disneyland would up their game now and make them work more like WDW so they are more useful there too.

If it’s just for a cruise and your kids don’t care, then probably not. We bought them for Walt Disney World but used them in the Wish and will use them at DLR. We a couple of times a year though.

I bought them and it was a waste of money. One of them (mine, of course) malfunctioned anyway (did not do any of the fireworks and special effects during dinner and such) and when you are on the boat you can't do anything about them not working properly. Also I don't wear a smart watch but 2/3 of my kids and husband do so it felt like they were wearing lots of stuff. With a family of 5 the charging situation at night was comical. Phones, watches, bands... We also don't mind the lanyards though so I really wish I hadn't bought into the bands.

We got them for our Fantasy cruise last November and enjoyed them. We figured we would cruise enough to make the price worth it. They're not necessary by any means, but it was nice to have 'hands free' scanning and not have to dig the card out of the lanyard pocket. The interaction with the dinner shows and fireworks was an added bonus.

DH has a MB+ but didn't bring it on our Magic cruise in January, I don't have one but didn't buy one, and we didn't miss them. We don't mind wearing the lanyards. That said, I will buy a MB+ in a few months, when we get closer to our next trip to WDW, where to us they're a lot more useful. I may or may not bring mine on DCL cruises after that WDW trip.

I have been thinking about getting one for DS because he lost his lanyard on the last cruise and this would make things so much easier for him.
Does anyone know if you buy this, if you still need to bring your key card when getting off the ship in Castaway Cay or Lighthouse Point? I assume that you do but I wanted to double check.

We only got them because we would also use them at WDW and DL. Otherwise, nope. It was nice to make a choice, especially if I didn't want the lanyard rattling around my neck in some situations.

I have been thinking about getting one for DS because he lost his lanyard on the last cruise and this would make things so much easier for him.
Does anyone know if you buy this, if you still need to bring your key card when getting off the ship in Castaway Cay or Lighthouse Point? I assume that you do but I wanted to double check.

Yes, you still need the card (unless it changed since September.

And no, I consider that a wasted $25. I carry a small cross-body bag to hold phone and reading or sunglasses; the card in the outer pocket can be held up to the door lock.

And you have to take off your MB/DB+ to pay for drinks!

Yes. You need to bring your KTTW card with you at every port of call you want to get on/off the ship (including CC/LCLP).

Yes. You need to bring your KTTW card with you at every port of call you want to get on/off the ship (including CC/LCLP).

Another tip - DCL says you need your driver's license/ID for Castaway Cay now too. I actually don't remember them scanning them coming back on the ship, but they made an announcement not to leave the ship without them. Don't be like me and have to run up six flights of stairs and then try to get back to your family in the crowd because you thought your KTWC was all you would need (it used to be that way).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter