Would you post in True Name?

Does anonymity contribute to abusive posts?

• I would post in true name, and I think it might help improve civility.

• I would post in true name, but I don't think it'll help.

• I would NOT post in true name, but I think it might help improve civility.

• I would NOT post in true name, and I don't think it will help.

• I have another perspective, and it's in my post to this thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've always posted with my real name. I've never had a problem. I guess I think of posting the same as I do talking - I only say the truth and try to say it in a way that people will be responsive

I post on several boards that do require real names, or at least accept abbreviated real names. The tone of those boards ARE more civil, but as others have mentioned, as we all talk in pretty specific terms on this board about when we will be on vacation, I would be much less inclined to do so here.

I do think that posting in true name would improve civility.

But I also think that there will always be those posters who are not capable of being civil, and those who will try to turn any post into a battle. Some people on here are professional :stir: because that's what they enjoy. Peaceful polite dialogue is anathema to them. Fortunately most of them don't last too long. :)

No absolutely not!!!! No way!!!!!! No one would ever have the courage to post under their real name....

Oh right....

<<<<<--------- My real name. :)

Maybe another way of approaching this issue might be to actually hold people accountable to a higher level for the way they act.

Set a code of conduct that everyone must agree to and have the mods enforce it.

Those who would post using a real name also typically would avoid the type of behavior that requires it, and unless it is required I don't think the worst types of behavior will improve. I think the security concerns are valid so full names might not be best, but posting with a picture might help (although I don't have any idea how you would verify that).

I am a fan of one of the local news channels on Facebook and people post crazy, hurtful things in response to headlines and various questions of the day. On Facebook, you are suppose to use your name and most people have a picture of themselves. It doesn't help.

Most responders (67.75%, or just over two-thirds) don't think forcing people to identify themselves will improve civility.

My name is in my signature what more do you want? ::cutie: I have also posted my last name in various related threads before and all my other info is on my user CP, so no biggie to me. The only thing I don't do is post the acutal company name I work for b/c of various reasons (mostly b/c they we have some psychotic customers), but I have posted plenty of times what I do/where, etc. I'm not naive enough to think that some1 can't find me on the internet or my info so I don't see a big deal about putting my name out there.

Do I think it would help? :rotfl: not one little itty bitty bit. People are rude in real life as much as they are on a message board behind a made up username nowadays.

No absolutely not!!!! No way!!!!!! No one would ever have the courage to post under their real name....

Oh right....

<<<<<--------- My real name. :)

:rotfl:

Good internet psychos are also usually persistent and computer savvy!!
:thumbsup2

ummm how do you know? ;)

I try very hard not to use my real name anywhere on the Internet.

And I don't think it would help anyway, because people are jerks whether they use their real names or not.

Why bother with names, using your home address should be your remedy.:rotfl:
Posting your name doesn't mean anything unless someone can find ya and bop ya on the nose.:scared::headache:
IE: yea Joe Smith in the Northeast is a big jerk. It';s another matter if Mickey Mouse who lives at 123 Main St. is a big jerk. Then ya got something.:rotfl2:

I'd rather use a screen name just because this board is so big and you do never know who is on it.

I don't think it would help anyway. Even in day to day life people tend to mis-interpret emails and text messages. I don't know how many times I thought an eamil was aggressive only to find out it was not meant to be.

I am not going to announce my vacation dates and REAL NAME on a website.

Hello, my house will be empty in early December. Have at, thieves!

Meg :)

My thoughts exactly. I would post using my real name on some websites (I currently do, actually) but not on the Disboards. I would never be willing post under my real name on a website where people discuss upcoming travel plans.

I don't think it would help, though. As a previous poster mentioned, people are offended by different things and some of the worst arguments I've seen online weren't caused by someone being mean, they were caused by someone posting a differing opinion which another poster interpreted as "flaming".

My real name is Brooke Wilcox. But that doesn't make any difference because you don't know me anyway. Whether I post under the name Brooke Wilcox or Mickeymouse123 or Cinderella_58 doesn't make one bit of difference if you don't know who I am.

I have had to deal with an internet stalker before. I would not post using my real name after dealing with that. Not worth it.

I think even with a real name jerks are still jerks and nice people are still nice people. That's how it is IRL.

This thread has nothing to do with theme park planning, so I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board.

There are thousands of people who post way too much personal information -- and for them there are places like Facebook, My Space, etc.
On here you could post your name if it weren't a really unusual name that would stand out and make it easy to locate you. That's IF someone wanted to locate you.
There are nutcases in just about every town, village and city in the U.S. They have phone books, they have the internet, and probably have access to more information that we'd like to think about.
Unless you are "hiding" behind your signature or pen name, I don't think it should bother you to use a real name. My name is so common that there was a woman in my small hometown and people got us mixed up (on paper only) all the time. We went to the same beauty salon, to the same beautician even, our library cards were often confused, our husbands had the same first name except for one letter, etc.
Take your name and do a search on Intelius and see how many of "you" there are!
:-)
I think people jump to conclusions too much sometimes occasionally frequently easily and so on.

Basically, I have a paranoia. This board can be read by anyone around the globe. If I post my real name, anyone can search online for me and find my address. A bit of following on my posts would show my dates away from home and the best opportunity to strike my place while I'm away.

I would come home to a house with smashed items, stolen momentos and lost memories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter