Would you recommend THIS board to someone planning their first trip?

Would you recommend this board to someone planning their first Disney vacation?

• Yes! I recommend this board to everyone I know!

• Yes, but I also warn them not to let the negativity get them down.

• Maybe, but I steer my more sensitive friends away from this board.

• No, I don't recommend this board to anyone taking their first trip. I send them elsewhere.

• Other. (Because there's always an other.)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Magpie

DIS Veteran
This is, after all, a "trip planning board", so it would seem logical to direct newbies here.

But we've all seen the threads from people saying, "I'm really scared," and asking, "Will my first trip be a nightmare, because of FP+?"

This could be the board that stokes excitement by sharing tips and tricks and planning advice, or it could be the board that kills it.

Would you send a newbie here?

I can't, in good conscience, recommend Disney at all right now.

My inlaws are at Disney right now, staying at Port Orleans. We just got a text from them this morning, and they say they're having an amazing time. It's their second time staying onsite, but the first time was a few years ago, when my sister in law stayed at one of the All Stars for a conference. She swore off ever staying on-site at Disney again, but we convinced her to give it another go. She thanked us! :thumbsup2

Really has me stoked for our April trip!

Yes!

Great information and great people always there to answer questions. :)

Not generally. Most of the info requires some prior knowledge of the parks, lingo, etc. I would have them read a guide book first.

Not generally. Most of the info requires some prior knowledge of the parks, lingo, etc. I would have them read a guide book first.

I learned about the good guidebooks from here back in the day! :rotfl: The boards were smaller then.

As a recent first timer myself I would absolutely recommend this board to a first timer BUT I'd tell them to ignore all the doom and gloom threads and to ask me if they have any questions or concerns.

The size and scope of WDW is overwhelming for a first timer and this board is packed with hints, tips, and knowledgeable people. The FP threads stressed me out a bit but luckily my older brother is a Disney veteran and reassured me throughout the whole process.

I had a blast and any FP fears quickly disappeared once I got there since FP+ was working great for me and since I had never been and had nothing to compare to, as a first timer I loved FP+.

Right at this moment I wouldn't recommend any discussion board to any newbie as they are all posting negative comments about FP+. I would be recommending to anyone contemplating a trip to WDW, don't, not for another year or so until they have ironed out all the kinks in the system and we have some hard and fast rules to plan by. At the moment there is so much "TESTING" that you can't be sure what rules are going to be in place for your holiday period and then just when you DO think you have a handle on it they go and change the rules again. Way too much uncertainty for me when a trip to WDW costs so much. I will say however that once all this mess is HOPEFULLY sorted out I would easily recommend this discussion board. :thumbsup2

I went with "other", which drives me crazy to have to choose that. LOL.

I used to recommend it all the time... now, it's not just the negativity that would make me think twice, it's the sheer number of threads that are simply different iterations of the same topic.

I have been planning our first family trip to WDW (we did DL 5 years ago) for over a year now. I have learned so much from these boards!! Even all the "bad things" are valuable because I am able to prepare my plans with plenty of variables that might occur while we are there. I would recomend these boards to anyone who asked.

Kristin

This is, after all, a "trip planning board", so it would seem logical to direct newbies here.

But we've all seen the threads from people saying, "I'm really scared," and asking, "Will my first trip be a nightmare, because of FP+?"

This could be the board that stokes excitement by sharing tips and tricks and planning advice, or it could be the board that kills it.

Would you send a newbie here?

A brand new, never-done-Disney newbie? Never, absolutely not. I'll explain in a moment.

However, someone who has maybe gone to Disney as a child but now is returning as an adult (i.e. someone who has a 'rough' idea of what Disney is/how it functions), maybe. But I would caution them highly about the negative few.

To explain why I do not recommend this board to a newbie;

In the (very) short time I have been here, I have seen a huge tide shift right before my eyes. The unveiling of FP+/MM+, and the DAS card projects both created a madhouse amongst this place (DAS created far less waves than FP+ has, but it still counts) that has definitely turned me off in terms of how I view this board and some of the specific users on here. I'm not naming names, or even hinting at persons, but the few that have made it a point to leap into any post, good or bad about something in the parks, and turn it into a bash/snark/snide remark fest has gotten old and overdone.

To someone who has never considered Disney until, say last night, I couldn't point them to these boards knowing they wouldn't get off the computer, grab a bottle of wine, and start chugging for dear life. All because someone(s) would bash them about with 'You paid THAT much for a night in WHERE?' or 'You're not REALLY going to use THAT method of touring, are you?' or the simple 'If you're not getting there at RD you're not getting your money worth. I figured it out for you, it comes out to ____ per hour, so waiting in line for ANYTHING past five seconds isn't worth the money.'

I've only been to WDW four times now, my first trip in May 2012, last (current) trip was February 2014. Out of those four times, one trip was miserable, two were so-so, and one was flat out magical. Guess which one was the magical one? The one where I didn't do what people said on here (for some part), the one where I didn't run around just to do everything because I didn't know if I would be coming back. Am I a seasoned vet? Heck no, not even close! Do I have a rough idea of what I'm doing for the most part? Yes, I'd like to believe so. Can I continue to learn more? Absolutely, who can't?! But that doesn't mean I drink the kool-aid of this board and spout it back verbatim, and I'm afraid a newbie who didn't know better would do just that, and end up with heartache in the end of their trip.

No, but not because of the negativity (although I've been away for a year or so and am shocked how angry this board has gotten).

I've never recommended it to newbies, it's just too much info. This board is for people who think that whether they eat at BoG or Akershus is a make-or-break proposition. I saw someone wondering the other day if they had made a "terrible mistake" by booking a pirate cruise on their first day, before their son has had a chance to see the pirate tutorial. A terrible mistake? Really? I love the fact that you can get the info to any tiny nitpicky question here, really I do.

Actually, let me put it this way. I was talking to the person at my job who's in charge of all physical stuff--furniture, supplies, building maintenance, etc. He said to me once, everyone has one thing that they are very particular about (mine is buying those batteries with the built-in meters). And each person's one thing that they're very particular about is completely reasonable. But in a building of 200 people, those 200 completely reasonable things are completely overwhelming. And this board has how many thousands of members who may each have one particular quirk that's entirely reasonable but then multiply it by thousands ...

I do recommend WDWInfo, the informative side of this site, as well as AllEars, but honestly for most people I think the WDW website itself is plenty.

As for the negativity, the only person I know personally who is a bigger Disney fanatic than me is one of my aunts. I don't know what board or group she follows, but I know she says that FP+ and MBs are universally loved by the people in her group and she's super excited to try them out. And since I'm about to take at least one Disney doubter there, I am absolutely not telling anyone else to come here.

I came here as a newbie 6 years ago and there is no way my first trip would have been nearly as successful if it wasn't for the DISboards. I still get good info for each trip. Even though a lot of it is negative about the FP+, it's still valuable info IMO. So yes, I'd send a newbie here. There are so many folks on here who have a wealth of knowledge, despite some of them having regular snarky moments! But that's a message board in general, and you just have to accept that.

It depends on the person, but if I wouldn't send a particular person to this website I probably wouldn't recommend any internet community to them.

I would have sent a newbie here before, but not now that all these off topic threads asking if we'd recommend the DIS keep popping up ;).

But seriously, I probably wouldn't send a newbie here. This site is geared much more towards people who are familiar with Disney and to who, like a PP out it, BoG or Akershus could make or break a trip. I think someone who is not familiar with Disney is probably better off being eased in with a planning video or Disney's own site, something more general.

I'm not sure if we are "allowed" to mention other boards without getting tossed off these boards. (The moderators are very sensitive.) But there is another board that is just plain factual and up to date with all the information one would need to visit WDW -- tickets, menus, resort ratings, etc. without the drama and horrid negative opinions. In any case, I point everyone there and I just browse (and sometimes comment) through these for purely bored entertainment. We have 50 plus trips under our belts and know what a great time we can enjoy. If I had read these boards as a newbie, I'd run the other way and go to Universal.

No, but I wouldn't point them towards any Disney-related board. I'd tell them to get the Unofficial Guide to WDW book and read that first.

Then if they have specific questions, they would hit Google and probably get the answer and then they will probably land here anyway at some point.

As much as I enjoy parts of this site it is very tough to imagine a newb having any chance making it through a few posts before getting braindrain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter